Code/reader Scanner

isgspring

Hi everybody!

I have a 94 ls400 with 85k on it. Recently the check engine and trac lights come on. I am contemplating to buy a code reader (there is some on eBay). My question is how difficult it is to use the reader since I don’t have the manual. Did anybody use this device? Any help will be appreciated.

Hi everybody!

I have a 94 ls400 with 85k on it. Recently the check engine and trac lights come on. I am contemplating to buy a code reader (there is some on eBay). My question is how difficult it is to use the reader since I don’t have the manual. Did anybody use this device? Any help will be appreciated.

Hello,

Did you ever find out why the lights are coming on. My check engine light and trac off light came on yesterday. The trac off light is flashing. Any suggestions on potential cause? Thanks in advance for your help.

If I remember right, the 90-94 models are not the standard Odb1 interface.

In a nutshell the diagnostics devices at the auto parts stores will not work.

My car (90) has a diagnostic interface where you jump a connection (of many) on your diagnostic interface under the hood and your system check engine light will flash and give you the code.

I did the following on my 90 to get the codes. Had a bad o2 sensor. Code 25

Engine diagnostics can be run by placing a jumper in the engine diagnostics connector between E1 and TE1 terminals (for location of terminals see the label inside the diagnostics connector cover) The manaul states it is the two X's below.

|OOX-O-OO|

|OXO----OO|

|OOO-O-OO|

--___--___--

Can anyone confirm that the 91-94 models have the same procedures for pulling the codes?

I also found this with the codes.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:ityUX...r&hl=en&start=1

The codes are almost identical to what I have in the manual. (It also states it is for 90-94 models.) Page 46 chapter 5

I would scan the instructions and codes from my Lexus shop manuals but my scanner is broke.

The codes will flash with the smaller numbered code and then larger (if multiple codes)

for 21 only you would have flash flash (short 1.5 second pause) flash (long 4.5 sec pause)

and it would repeat

for two codes the same as above but instead of the 4.5 second pause it would be a medium pause of 2.5 seconds between codes before the next code would start.

after all codes are gone through it pauses 4.5 sec and repeats all.

Good luck!

Got the device from e-bay (about $40) .to read the code is a piece of cake. In my case it’s 25. Now I am back to square one: in the manual it lists about 8 different reasons for that code. What should I do next? Go to the dealership I was trying to avoid by all means, try to change the front oxygen sensor by the local shop and pray the problem would go away? What are your opinion dear fellow Lexus owners? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Got  the device from e-bay (about $40) .to read the code is a piece of cake. In my case it’s 25. Now I am back to square one: in the manual it lists about 8 different reasons for that code. What should I do next? Go to the dealership I was trying to avoid by all means, try to change the front oxygen sensor by the local shop and pray the problem would go away? What are your opinion dear fellow Lexus owners? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

The failure of the heating element on my o2 sensor caused my code 25. That is usually what the issue is. I had midas break loose the o2 sensors ($20 charge)and took it home and did the work myself. I went to autozone and borrowed the o2 sensor tool ($16 refundable deposit). The 02 sensors can be bought at OXYGENSENSORS.COM (universal o2 sensor in which you have to crimp wires to your wiring connector from old sensoror or you can buy the more expensive ones with Lexus connectors) The hard part is putting back the one bolt that holds the passenger side wire harness (if you choose to unbolt it to help disconnect the o2 sensor) Not much room to work with. It is a pain. Good luck!