Would You Buy This 1999 Awd Rx 300?

rockhead

Hi all,

I was up until 4AM last night reading posts related to my issue.

A family friend has a neighbor selling their 1999 AWD RX 300. It has 75,000 miles. Price is 15K. It's in good shape. It's been in a one owner famly, as the owners just recently upgraded to the new hybrid. The owner has all the maintenance records as it's been serviced at the dealership since they owned the car - it's been serviced every 5,000 miles. I took it to a mechanic and he said, other than the timing belt issue coming up and needing new front brakes and a cleaning of the throttle, it's in good shape.

Until I read this fourm, I was unaware of the possible transmission failures, sludge problems, etc. associated with this vehicle. I too, like the looks of the car, and thought the Lexus name meant a reliable car I could drive for many years to come. I have 187K on my 1991 original Honda Accord, my wife has 205K on her 1989 Volvo. We would want to keep this Lexus RX as long, if not longer, than these two cars. We want a solid, reliable car that we will service religiously, but will expect it to run well and free of BIG problems.

I'm really torn as I know all about what's been said about this particular model and all the potential problems. However, I keep thinking about the fact that it's hard to purchase a RX from a private party at a good price. Also, the fact that it's been dealer maintained every step of the way. Due to budgetary constraints, we cannot pay the 25-27K + for a more recent model.

So, I'm kinda in need of advice quickly. I was ready to take it to the next step until I found this forum last night. So, what do you think, should I consider it?

Thanks very much!!

just because it was serviced regurally, unfortunately doesn't help any. I had my 99 rx300 AWD serviced every 5k miles and its transmission went at 79k miles in 2003. My 2003 rx300 i bought to replace it, started to show signs of tranny trouble 2 months ago. I sold it right away for a new LS430. Last week i bought another 03 rx300 for my daughter..wow is that a mistake..

In my opinion, an Rx300 transmission will NOT last over 150,000 miles or so, i dont care how well it's taken care of. Just my opinion. If it went out for ME at only 79k miles, jeez!!!

I would stay away...but it is better than other suv's in its class though....A lot to think about...

If the trany did go, it would cost around $4500 to fix it. If you could get a deal where you pay $4000 less than what the cars really worth, it would be ok if it broke.... It would even out.

Just from my own experience having owned 3 Rx300's already...

..and i really couldn't really say yes or no to buy it because i haven't actually seen it.

if you are dead certain that you WILL buy "a" RX300 i guess you have to wait for the right one to come around. The 99 and 00 years are the most likely to have tranny probs b/c they are obviously the oldest LOL. but the price is right...

All i know is that my 1999 AND 2003 AWD model Rx300's both had problems at low mileage, and if it wasn't for my daughter being in total LOVE with it, i would never sit in another one again...And it's not fun driving on the highway and all of a sudden it doesn't downshift and doesnt acclerate and you have no control going 90mph!!!

but it's just my opinion..Again some people have no problems (yet but they soon will) and then others have a ton...Like me for example....

but if you are prepared to spend the big $$$ to fix it 3 or 4 times, it's fine i guess..The Rx300 is very safe (except for losing control b/c of a bad tranny), and it is very attractive to many. It's very solid and beats many other SUV's in it's class.

Overall, i would have to say go for it. The rx is still the #1 selling lexus suv, and believe it or not is better than most other cars in its class. The only reason you hear bad things about the rx300 is because sick-O's like me have to express our bad experiences about them to others!! (just kidding :P )...People that don't have nay problems with their Lexus' don't even know this website even exists!! Look on the forum; no good things!!! ;)

There are many people that have good luck (luck is the BIG word) with their Rx300,s you just don't hear about them often.

So go for it!!! Good luck and enjoy... B)

My wife drives a 2000 RX300 AWD. It's the most problematic vehicle I've ever had in more than 35 years of vehicle ownership, starting with the infamous transmission problems. We'll never have another RX, I promise.

I firmly believe that your risk factor will diminish considerably with a well-cared-for FWD version if you're dead-set on buying an RX. If you do decide to purchase your friend's vehicle, I recommend that you begin a maintenance contingency fund immediately upon bringing the thing home.

Good luck either way.

My wife drives a 2000 RX300 AWD.  It's the most problematic vehicle I've ever had in more than 35 years of vehicle ownership, starting with the infamous transmission problems.  We'll never have another RX, I promise.

I firmly believe that your risk factor will diminish considerably with a well-cared-for FWD version if you're dead-set on buying an RX.  If you do decide to purchase your friend's vehicle, I recommend that you begin a maintenance contingency fund immediately upon bringing the thing home.

Good luck either way.

I could not have put it any better...just make sure you have the $$$ in the next 4,000 miles or so to fix the transmission..And maybe another $4k at 100,000 miles...

The front wheel drive is less expensive, and will have less problems!! That's what i would do...just me though, do as you wish...

My 1999 RX300 AWD has 168,000 miles on it and the transmission is still working perfectly. I have read stories about the tranny's going bad, but they can't possibly ALL be faulty. Would you rather take your chances with a Jeep's notorious rear end, or the ongoing reliability of a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge? HA!! I love the RX300 and until it gives me problems I will continue to love it.

My 1999 RX300 AWD has 168,000 miles on it and the transmission is still working perfectly.  I have read stories about the tranny's going bad, but they can't possibly ALL be faulty.  Would you rather take your chances with a Jeep's notorious rear end, or the ongoing reliability of a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge?  HA!!  I love the RX300 and until it gives me problems I will continue to love it.

I think the fact that your neighbor will sell it to someone they know also makes them feel confident about the car, there is no gurantee with any used car that old.

Im told that 75,000 mile service can be expensive however especially if they are doing the timing chain, my neighbor who is an auto body mechanic was quoted over $2,500 for that service alone on his wifes 99 rx. good luck

When my 99 rx300 was around 75,000 miles it started making this whining noise while accelerating, and had this strange jolting..nothing too serious, just agrivating; still able to drive it.

When i hit 79k miles, it went for good.

When my 99 rx300 was around 75,000 miles it started making this whining noise while accelerating, and had this strange jolting..nothing too serious, just agrivating; still able to drive it.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I greatly appreciate it - keep it coming!!

LexKid630, you mentioned "this whining noise while accelerating," was it a "whining" or kind of a "whooshing?" I noticed when I test drove this particular car, when I first started to accelerate, say after a red light, I would hear a "whooshing" sound. Not a screetching whine, but more of a "whoosh." Could that be the start of something or is that sound normal?

Thanks for all the advice so far. I greatly appreciate it - keep it coming!!

LexKid630, you mentioned "this whining noise while accelerating," was it a "whining" or kind of a "whooshing?" I noticed when I test drove this particular car, when I first started to accelerate, say after a red light, I would hear a "whooshing" sound. Not a screetching whine, but more of a "whoosh." Could that be the start of something or is that sound normal?

Hmmm...wooshing? I'm not sure if that's what i would call it...The sound i heard; it's like it was yesterday...diffinetly like a low toned whining noise, kind of like...well it's hard to explain..

But a 100% normal rx300 transmission sounds perfectly. No noise at all except for normal acceleration engine noise..you know...

anyone else explain the wooshing/whining noise any better?

I think the fact that your neighbor  will sell it to someone they know also makes them feel confident about the car, there is no gurantee with any used car that old.

Im told that 75,000 mile service can be expensive however especially if they are doing the timing chain,  my neighbor who is an auto body mechanic was quoted over $2,500 for that service alone on his wifes 99 rx.  good luck

75,000mile service is a relatively minor one. Should be less than $50. as long as you stay away from the dealer. Timing belt is not due till 90K. I plan on having a Toyota dealer do mine for around $300. when the time comes.

About buying the car, I would say if you really like it go for it, but know the risks involved, My rant about Lexus can be found in another post here titled "RX300 AWD Would you buy again?"