Are These Oil Filters Worth Using?

I still have a couple of these Denso's around and think they have been discontinued. I have been using Mobil 1 High Efficiency filters with M1 10W-30 synthetic changed every 5k. Are these Denso's just as good as the M1's? Should I use them for 5k or sell or toss them?

Thx for your advice,

SnesOilFilter.jpg

I still have a couple of these Denso's around and think they have been discontinued.  I have been using Mobil 1 High Efficiency filters with M1 10W-30 synthetic changed every 5k.  Are these Denso's just as good as the M1's?  Should I use them for 5k or sell or toss them?

Thx for your advice,

I would need to see the capacity and efficiency of the filter. But if you are only going 5K drains, you should be fine.

I'd use the 90915-YZZB9 Denso's because they are factory quality filters. The latest Denso filter for the ES300 / 330 is the 90915-YZZD1

Horror stories abound on the internet of owners who took risks by using aftermarket oil filters. Here are two examples:

http://t4x4pickup.com/dgroup/messages/324.html

Posted by Scotty on June 11, 2005 at 02:54:32:

Aloha dudes and duddettes,

My gf's 2005 SR5 4Runner V6 engine is all messed up

cause I put in a wrong oil filter and she just ran it to the

ground. Any case the Toyota dealer wanted $18,000.00

to replace the engine. Is there anywhere else I could go

to get a rebuilt (replacement) '05 Toyota engine?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Scotty

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&st=0&p=135225&

Hi everyone,

I own a 96 ES300 with 97k miles. I had a problem yesterday while I was changing my oil. After I finished, I cranked up and I'd say about 4 quarts gushed out from the filter. Needless to say, it was defective.

Use those filters up yourself I would suggest. They will be fine. Go back to the M-1's later or consider going to a K & N or Amsoil oil filter (I use that now.....switched from M1 for about the same price). B)

:cheers:

I love the denso filters. There are two styles used in all of Toyota-land (on Toyota/crown/lexi cars).

One costs $3 from a Toyota dealer parts counter, the other costs $4.50. One is slightly larger. You got the larger one.

90915 is what they list for nearly every v6 made in the last 20 years.

Don't get the wrong impression. You can buy the slightly smaller oil filter if you feel like it. Unless you're doing something like a twin filter AMSoil setup, the filters are OK many times longer than most oils will last. Oils are designed to be the main filtration system themselves. Part of thier job is to simply collect all the junk floating around (Engine, transmission, Power Steering, it goes on and on). The filters don't even *begin* to get the oil clean most of the time!

If you're on a tight budget, spend all your money on quality oil, and throw a filter on. The good news is Toyota filters are not only very cheap, they're top notch. So you there really isn't any reason to not drive to a Toyota parts counter and buy a few at one time. (I have two of what you have in the basement, and one sitting in my floorboard waiting for an oil change LoL!

If you're talking filtration VS flow rate, Denso filters kick about everyone's !Removed!.

Where would I be able to buy those online?

The Lexus dealer on Guam has an OUTRAGEOUS markup price on them. $18.22 for ONE oil filter... Not only that, it is the Thailand made one, not Japan.

There is also ACDelco at about $5.95/each, but I am a bit weary of using that. Is there really a difference?

In the USA, the lowest online price ($3.90 each) for the Denso 90915-YZZD1 filter (it's the latest Denso filter for all ES / RX300 / 330 models) can be found at 1sttoyotaparts.com 1-888-271-3948. You can also buy the Lexus V8 filters (90915-YZZD3) for $3.90 at 1sttoyotaparts.com. Any other genuine Toyota part is similarly discounted 28% off Toyota dealer retail prices (but 1sttoyotaparts.com will not ship fluids / lubes due to Hazmat shipping complications)

monarch,

I wish you would pick one screen name and post under it.

Between your mutiple personalities of monarch, VGR, saber and ellwood on this site and CL, it gets confusing.

Snesley, those filters are fine as are the M1 and K&N Gold. I use all three interchangably.

steviej

Thx for the reassurance Toysrme and StevieJ...I will definately throw them in.

monarch,

I wish you would pick one screen name and post under it.

Between your mutiple personalities of monarch, VGR, saber and ellwood on this site and CL, it gets confusing.

Snesley, those filters are fine as are the M1 and K&N Gold.  I use all three interchangably.

steviej