For Traction In Winter Would 17" Be Better Then 16

akewlguy

I see rims and tires for sale every where and I am not sure what to get. I know there is no perfect tire.. Either you get a soft for ride and traction or a winter for traction..

So far this is the list I am looking into:

Michilen HydroEdge--All Seasons

Firestone Affinity LH30--All Seasons(Stock Wheels)

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical--All Seasons(Stock Wheels)

Yokohama AVS DB S2--all Seasons(Stock Wheels)

Bridgestone Turanza LS-V

Michelin sport AS 225/60/16 from costco

Typically I go to Firestone since they rotate for free and do a basic look over the car.. Any advice on rims and tires is greatly appreciated..

On top of this I was curious if 17" rims and tires would make a difference in the winter. Obviously I would have to change rims every 6 months, but that is fine! Any suggestions on the rims?

I have 17 inch snows on my civic, personally width is what matters on a snow tire not sidewallheight.

the tires are more expensive and harder to some by for them though.

The best match is to get a nice set of 17's with summers if it is your preference and use the stock 16 rims with a 195 with snow tire for added traction in winter

Right now I have nice 16" stock crome rims with the Pirelli's.. They ride great and I like the classic look, but this might have to change.

So the 17" in the winter would be good, but my rims are going to go through hell since I live in the north.

So I could get something besides crome for winter..? Also I hear the Blizzak are great for winter? Is it the tire, compound, or ??

I went to firestone today and they stated they did not know.. This was a place in the south and he does not deal with winter tires.. Go figure.. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I see rims and tires for sale every where and I am not sure what to get. I know there is no perfect tire.. Either you get a soft for ride and traction or a winter for traction..

So far this is the list I am looking into:

Michilen HydroEdge--All Seasons

Firestone Affinity LH30--All Seasons(Stock Wheels)

Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical--All Seasons(Stock Wheels)

Yokohama AVS DB S2--all Seasons(Stock Wheels)

Bridgestone Turanza LS-V

Michelin sport AS 225/60/16 from costco

Typically I go to Firestone since they rotate for free and do a basic look over the car.. Any advice on rims and tires is greatly appreciated..

On top of this I was curious if 17" rims and tires would make a difference in the winter. Obviously I would have to change rims every 6 months, but that is fine! Any suggestions on the rims?

i have heard good things about the hydroedge and yokohama avid;s...not sure about the rest...

but i would get dedicated snow tires...

do you have a sears auto center near you? you should be able to get the blizzaks from there...they also do free tire rotation...get the road hazzard warranty too...anything happens to the tire they repair it or replace it...

tires for 17 inch rims would cost more than 16's and since they would be on for the winter only, stick with the 16's

winter is harsh on the chrome..same goes with polished wheels...get a set of inexpensive silver wheels or a set of steel wheels...

take look at tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this is not too late, but in my opinion, you should stick with the 16's and get dedicated snow tires. I have a sc300 and with a set of blizzacks I have no issues using this is the ski mobile here in Denver. I have actually pushed snow with the front of my car and I am rocking 15" wheels. Good Luck.