Tires

Basically anything is going to be an improvement over those tires.

I was originally very happy with the Toyo Proxes TPT that I put on my car but their poor performance in the snow and degrading rain performance as they've aged coupled with the fact they're getting louder as they get older will see me replace them this summer. They have 25k or so on them now. I was dismayed to drive an ES330 with the Potenza RE92s and find they were quieter than my Toyos have become.

My next tires will either be:

Dunlop SP Sport 4000. The only tires I have experience with on a Lexus that I was totally happy with.

Michelin MXV4 or MXV4 S8 but they're very expensive.

Yokohama AVS db.

There are a lot of other choices as well but at this point I'm probably going to go with what I know, the Dunlops.

Think I made a mistake and had my question on the wrong forum-- new member!

Question: what tire should I look at for my ES 300?

My present tires have 35000 miles.

The originals were Bridgestones Potenza Re 92.

I agree with sw with regards to any tire is better than the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92......they are simply garbage! You need the 215 60 16 size? :)

We do disagree however with the Toyo Proxes TPT which I have been very happy with in just over 15,000 miles I have put on them. They were one of the very best choices at the time I put them on but as of today, there are better choices.

A lot comes down to what exactly are you looking for in a tire? IE: Will you be putting seperate snow tires on in the winter or feel with the right tire you can get by with an excellent all season set? Do you want long mileage & a comfortable ride or more suited to a bit more aggressive & performance type of tire (although I think we can all agree the ES is no sports sedan). Give us details on what exactly you would like & what's important to you in a tire & we can better suggest the best available to suit your needs. B)

The Yoko's sw suggests are quite good, so is the Yokohama Avid H4S (I wouldn't go below an H speed rating personally). B)

- Definately put the Falken Ziex ZE-512 on your short list. They came in first overall in a test of about 20 A/S performance tires & I have suggested them a lot over the last year or so (my wife even has a set on her Ford Focus ZX5). They are fantastic, especially in snow & heavy rain fall & have a 60,000 tread life & you won't be able to beat the price compared to many other choices.....they are simply awesome value in a Japanese made tire. Here is some more info & do a search of the Falkens to find out more. I have these on my short list to replace my Toyo's when the time comes on my 01 ES. B)

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

The Michelins are a pretty good tire, but as sw mentioned, very expensive (you could probably get 2 sets of the Falkens for the price of 1 set of the Michelins & they have about the same treadwear rating, & traction wise the Falken is superior!) :whistles: Keep us posted on what you decide & feel free to ask away if you have any more questions.

:cheers:

Think I made a mistake and had my question on the wrong forum-- new member!

Question: what tire should I look at for my ES 300?

My present tires have 35000 miles.

The originals were Bridgestones Potenza Re 92.

I agree with sw with regards to any tire is better than the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92......they are simply garbage! You need the 215 60 16 size? :)

We do disagree however with the Toyo Proxes TPT which I have been very happy with in just over 15,000 miles I have put on them. They were one of the very best choices at the time I put them on but as of today, there are better choices.

A lot comes down to what exactly are you looking for in a tire? IE: Will you be putting seperate snow tires on in the winter or feel with the right tire you can get by with an excellent all season set? Do you want long mileage & a comfortable ride or more suited to a bit more aggressive & performance type of tire (although I think we can all agree the ES is no sports sedan). Give us details on what exactly you would like & what's important to you in a tire & we can better suggest the best available to suit your needs. B)

The Yoko's sw suggests are quite good, so is the Yokohama Avid H4S (I wouldn't go below an H speed rating personally). B)

- Definately put the Falken Ziex ZE-512 on your short list. They came in first overall in a test of about 20 A/S performance tires & I have suggested them a lot over the last year or so (my wife even has a set on her Ford Focus ZX5). They are fantastic, especially in snow & heavy rain fall & have a 60,000 tread life & you won't be able to beat the price compared to many other choices.....they are simply awesome value in a Japanese made tire. Here is some more info & do a search of the Falkens to find out more. I have these on my short list to replace my Toyo's when the time comes on my 01 ES. B)

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

The Michelins are a pretty good tire, but as sw mentioned, very expensive (you could probably get 2 sets of the Falkens for the price of 1 set of the Michelins & they have about the same treadwear rating, & traction wise the Falken is superior!) :whistles: Keep us posted on what you decide & feel free to ask away if you have any more questions.

Do not need snow tires. Would like comfortable ride, long wear and dependeble. Need P215 60R16 94V at least that is what my originals are.

Had a bearing replaced on the L front would that have affected the wear-- have 35,000 miles ?

Thanks for any help.

If I were you, I'd go with the Falken's hands down from what you have told me. You will not be disappointed & you will be pleased with the price to boot! An excellent Japanese performance all season that are good for 60,000 miles! B) Good Luck & let us know what you decide.

I think my main problem is the treadwear rating. I don't think its possible to get the qualities I want like the super smooth and quiet ride coupled with good rain traction out of a tire with such a long treadwear. The harder rubber is giving me the noise and degraded traction that I'm having problems with. My guess is that I'd have the same problem with the Falkens, the Michelins etc. The Dunlops have a much lower treadwear rating and I'd rather have to buy tires more often than deal with the noise and poor traction I'm dealing with now.

I just had an 05 Loaner with Bridgestone Turanza EL42s and they're MUCH quieter than my Toyos are now. Gotta get some new rubber next month...

Tell me your kidding sw!? :blink::blink::rolleyes: You would actually consider the EL42's? :lol: I'd rather buy the Potenza RE 92's over them! :whistles: Here you go.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

You must really like buying tires man.......you will be replacing them in less than a month they are so pathetic. :ph34r:

Oh no LOL, just commenting that they're quieter. I aint buying 'em.

I don't know what it is but ever since they rolled over 20k the Toyos have gotten really loud but only at low speeds, they're fine on the highway. I get a steady whine that is really annoying.

I don't know what it is but ever since they rolled over 20k the Toyos have gotten really loud but only at low speeds, they're fine on the highway. I get a steady whine that is really annoying.

have an 03 ES 300 with the Bridgestone turanza E30's.......has 32,000 miles and need replacing, i am in south florida so snow is no issue...want a quiet smooth tire, what do you recommend?? Thanks in advance!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

lol, thank god :lol: ;)

have an 03 ES 300 with the Bridgestone turanza E30's.......has 32,000 miles and need replacing, i am in south florida so snow is no issue...want a quiet smooth tire, what do you recommend?? Thanks in advance!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Have a look above metfan......you should find the info quite helpful. Stick with an all season tire & not summer only rubber. It's too bad the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads are not offered in a speed rating for your ES......they would be a fantastic choice for your ES.

http://www.goodyearassurance.com/

I suggest the Yokohama's or the Falkens I mentioned earlier in this thread. B)

• 6 months later...

I just today purchased a set of four Michelin MXV4's for my wife's 2003 ES300. Paid $565.00 drive away price for them. I have bought these tires in the past a couple of times and like them. I bought 'H" rated tires. I know, I know 'V' rated is what is recommended but there is no reason to pay extra for 'V'. My wife is the primary driver and she doesn't do a lot of fast hard cornering when driving and there is not a need for a higher speed rated tire for this car.

Poppi

I think my main problem is the treadwear rating. I don't think its possible to get the qualities I want like the super smooth and quiet ride coupled with good rain traction out of a tire with such a long treadwear. The harder rubber is giving me the noise and degraded traction that I'm having problems with. My guess is that I'd have the same problem with the Falkens, the Michelins etc. The Dunlops have a much lower treadwear rating and I'd rather have to buy tires more often than deal with the noise and poor traction I'm dealing with now.

I'll just say this steve. If you arent happy with the falkens, I'll stop modding my ZX-2. :D Im THAT sure you will be impressed. they made my car go from riding/driving like a tincan econobox to driving like a damned decent sports car, plenty of grip, and quiet as the dead on the freeways. Rough roads are no problem for the 55 series sidewall and up, it will smotth out the road ahead like a cloud. even on city streets, they are the tamest tire i have found. 60,000 mile treadwear and a SOFT silica compound. from what you have told me about your driving habits, you will likely stretch 65-70K out of these tires.

I would almost go so far as to say i will buy the set from you for what you paid if you arent impressed, but i dont have enough money to do that, but if i did, i would. Im just that confident there isnt a better tire, especially for that price.

Edited by ArmyofOne

Basically anything is going to be an improvement over those tires.

I was originally very happy with the Toyo Proxes TPT that I put on my car but their poor performance in the snow and degrading rain performance as they've aged coupled with the fact they're getting louder as they get older will see me replace them this summer. They have 25k or so on them now. I was dismayed to drive an ES330 with the Potenza RE92s and find they were quieter than my Toyos have become.

My next tires will either be:

Dunlop SP Sport 4000. The only tires I have experience with on a Lexus that I was totally happy with.

Michelin MXV4 or MXV4 S8 but they're very expensive.

Yokohama AVS db.

There are a lot of other choices as well but at this point I'm probably going to go with what I know, the Dunlops.

SWO3ES, what about the michelin pilot exalto as ? looks on paper to be a great tire. :cheers:

SWO3ES, what about the michelin pilot exalto as ? looks on paper to be a great tire. :cheers:

Fairly new tire on the market.....as of early Jan 06, tirerack only shows about 229,000 miles from folks who have purchaed them. Wait until at least 2 million miles are reported to have a better idea of overall performance. ;) 400 treadwear isn't bad, but they aren't cheap to buy either. ;)

Fairly new tire on the market.....as of early Jan 06, tirerack only shows about 229,000 miles from folks who have purchaed them. Wait until at least 2 million miles are reported to have a better idea of overall performance. ;) 400 treadwear isn't bad, but they aren't cheap to buy either. ;)

I C Lexus that makes sence :cheers:

how much is a set of 4 falken tires for the ls if you guys dont mind answering?

Go here:

Discount Tire Direct.

it looks like your stock size is going to cost $65 a tire.

60,000 mile treadlife in that size too. :D

Free shipping from these guys. i have reccomended them many times with good results each time. 65x4=$260 out the box. take them to your local tire shop to have them mounted and balanced ~$10 a tire, total comes to $300 even, and then old tire disposal fee, looking at around $310 mounted and balanced.

I PM'ed you the same info :D

Edited by ArmyofOne

SWO3ES, what about the michelin pilot exalto as ? looks on paper to be a great tire.:cheers:

I am getting quite interested in these. At $112 for V rating (for tire only) it is not too bad.

Agreed, current reviews are mileage limited.

I just can't stand how loud the Dunlop Sport A2s have gotten in two years. However, the traction in wet slush snow and on dry pavement is outstanding. The noise level totally tips the scale. :angry::angry:

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

got that info, thanks army

Agreed, you would be very hard pressed to find a better overall value than the Falkens for the type of tire you get for the money (with the 60,000 mile treadwear). B)