Failed Emissions Test

I had the yearly safety inspection done on my 1993 ES300 this morning. My car didn't pass because it failed in two sections of the emissions test. Here are the results:

High Speed Emission Results (25mph) RPM: 1588

Pollutant / Standard / Current Reading / Result

HC (PPM) - 114 - 75 - PASS

CO (%) - 0.63 - 0.10 - PASS

NOx (ppm) - 796 - 284 - PASS

DILUTION (%) - >6 - 15.3

Low Speed Emission Results (15mph) RPM: 1563

Pollutant / Standard / Current Reading / Result

HC (PPM) - 117 - 189 - FAIL

CO (%) - 0.65 - 0.32 - PASS

NOx (ppm) - 879 - 997 - FAIL

I know I will need to check various parts to determine what's causing these readings. I just don't want to pay $90 to have someone diagnose it when somebody here might be able to give me insight on what may be going on. Thanks for any help~

Did it do the low speed test then the high speed one?

Anycheck engine lights?

The cat is working but not at fully ,it may need changing.

Get a motorvac and make sure the car is heated up properly before the test

Did it do the low speed test then the high speed one?

Anycheck engine lights?

The cat is working but not at fully ,it may need changing.

Get a motorvac and make sure the car is heated up properly before the test

I wasn't present while the test was being done, so I'm not sure which was performed first. Just wondering, how would the order of the tests alter the results?

I had no idea there was a problem with my ES. I always address problems when a light on the dash comes on. Needless to say, the check engine light has not been lit.

I was suspecting the catalytic converter and will definetly have that checked out. I really appreciate the tips. Thanks!

I ask since if the car was not properly warmed up it will fail since the cat is not hot to activate the convertor.

So if the low speed finally warmed it it would fail but pass on the next run.

I had the same problem with GM and my wifes sht box.

I got them to rerun it while i stood their . Guess what ,it passed easily when it was hot, The reimbersed me and got a free oilchange for the tech's stupity.

Wow, never knew that could happen. I took it the first thing in the morning, and the drive wasn't too long. It may very well be the problem.. but I'm a bit hesitant to take it back for another $40 retest though. I originally attributed the cause for the failed emission test to the old age my car (12 years). I've been needing to repair or replace various parts lately, so this wasn't too much of a shocker..

I'm not familiar with a MotorVac, but I'm guessing it's equipment that I can use to test the emissions at home? Just wondering where I could maybe rent one of these machines.. Autozone, Pep Boys, Home Depot?

Thanks again~

Wow, never knew that could happen. I took it the first thing in the morning, and the drive wasn't too long. It may very well be the problem.. but I'm a bit hesitant to take it back for another $40 retest though. I originally attributed the cause for the failed emission test to the old age my car (12 years). I've been needing to repair or replace various parts lately, so this wasn't too much of a shocker..

I'm not familiar with a MotorVac, but I'm guessing it's equipment that I can use to test the emissions at home? Just wondering where I could maybe rent one of these machines.. Autozone, Pep Boys, Home Depot?

Thanks again~

I have the same year with 110K miles. I initially failed the test also when I drove it there cold. It was less than ten minute drive. Mine failed. I was puzzled also. I then read somewhere and was told by inspection person that you have to drive the vehicle about 30 minutes on freeway and then take it in for the retest. I did that and retested and it passed.

I think it is especially important for older cars testing on the new emmisions test equipment.