Tach Trouble?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. The Wife and i just picked up a used 2002 ES300 ( Wifes' car ) with 39000 miles on it. it is really clean and loaded to the max. I have noticed however that at 73 mph the Tach reads 3,100. that seems high to me. Is this typical? Also the gas milage isn't what i thought a 3 liter engine should be. 22 highway 23 is the best we ever got. How does this stack up with yours? I'm taking it in to the Lexus dealer on Friday. Just wanted to compare notes before i do. I also add that yes, it is shifting into overdrive.

I have a 98ES300 with 125K. If I drive @ 80mph on highway, the engine rpm would hover around 3000/3100. I also have a 96 Honda Accord with 113K. It does the same thing too...I am not sure, if I should get worried about this at all. I do all the regular maintainance stuff diligently and both vehicles are stock. Any insight Advance/Guru members?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.  The Wife and i just picked up a used 2002 ES300  ( Wifes' car )   with 39000 miles on it. it is really clean and loaded to the max.  I have noticed however that at 73 mph the Tach reads 3,100. that seems high to me.  Is this typical?  Also the gas milage isn't what i thought a 3 liter engine should be.  22 highway 23 is the best we ever got.  How does this stack up with yours?  I'm taking it in to the Lexus dealer on Friday.  Just wanted to compare notes before i do.  I also add that yes, it is shifting into overdrive.

I am not advanced here but if you want I can hook up my good-old micro scanner on my way to work in the morning and tell you what I get do to the single rpm's...But I have a 98....

Based on memory that sound about right for the speed. I want to say I am over 2K rpm's for 50 mph.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.  The Wife and i just picked up a used 2002 ES300  ( Wifes' car )  with 39000 miles on it. it is really clean and loaded to the max.  I have noticed however that at 73 mph the Tach reads 3,100. that seems high to me.  Is this typical?  Also the gas milage isn't what i thought a 3 liter engine should be.  22 highway 23 is the best we ever got.  How does this stack up with yours?  I'm taking it in to the Lexus dealer on Friday.  Just wanted to compare notes before i do.  I also add that yes, it is shifting into overdrive.

I am not advanced here but if you want I can hook up my good-old micro scanner on my way to work in the morning and tell you what I get do to the single rpm's...But I have a 98....

Based on memory that sound about right for the speed. I want to say I am over 2K rpm's for 50 mph.

my 97 80 mph = 3000 rpm in over drive (4th)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.  The Wife and i just picked up a used 2002 ES300  ( Wifes' car )   with 39000 miles on it. it is really clean and loaded to the max.  I have noticed however that at 73 mph the Tach reads 3,100. that seems high to me.  Is this typical?  Also the gas milage isn't what i thought a 3 liter engine should be.  22 highway 23 is the best we ever got.  How does this stack up with yours?  I'm taking it in to the Lexus dealer on Friday.  Just wanted to compare notes before i do.  I also add that yes, it is shifting into overdrive.

Jsut checked today. 70 mpg is about 2655 rpm.

Jsut checked today. 70 mpg is about 2655 rpm.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.  The Wife and i just picked up a used 2002 ES300  ( Wifes' car )  with 39000 miles on it. it is really clean and loaded to the max.  I have noticed however that at 73 mph the Tach reads 3,100. that seems high to me.  Is this typical?  Also the gas milage isn't what i thought a 3 liter engine should be.  22 highway 23 is the best we ever got.  How does this stack up with yours?  I'm taking it in to the Lexus dealer on Friday.  Just wanted to compare notes before i do.  I also add that yes, it is shifting into overdrive.

OK I HATE TO ADMIT THIS BUT: I took the car to the Lexus dealer and they informed me that i didn;t have it in OVERDRIVE!! I am Fredie Flintstone and not familiar with gated shifters. All i had to do was move the shifter about 3/8 on an inch toward the passenger side of the car and PRESTO!! the Tach dropped to 2200!! I only admit this to possibly help other old people out there.. :D

Rippin, look at the dash, specifically the selector lights between the fuel guage and the temp guage.

If the Green Square with a D lights up you are in the proper shift position where overdrive is accessable. The shift lever should be toward the passenger side.

If the Green Square with a 4 lights up, you are in the position where overdrive is blocked out. The shift lever will be towards the driver's side.

steviej

i have somewhat of the same issue, on my 91 es250, at 70 mph my tach reads around 3,000 RPM, which seems to be a high RPM for such a moderate cruising speed. my o/d button on the shifter is in (meaning engaged) and the light is not on on the dashboard (the O/D OFF light). is this normal, since crusing at about 3,000 rpm is right in the middle of the car's powerband/rev range.

finally got it up to 110 yesterday, trying to keep up with a porsche. all i got was a sense of loss...lol... and the distinct smell or burning plastic. oh whatt fun.

i have somewhat of the same issue, on my 91 es250, at 70 mph my tach reads around 3,000 RPM, which seems to be a high RPM for such a moderate cruising speed.  my o/d button on the shifter is in (meaning engaged) and the light is not on on the dashboard (the O/D OFF light).  is this normal, since crusing at about 3,000 rpm is right in the middle of the car's powerband/rev range.

finally got it up to 110 yesterday, trying to keep up with a porsche.  all i got was a sense of loss...lol... and the distinct smell or burning plastic.  oh whatt fun.

The 91 & 02 are so different is't not even funny. It sounds like your ES 250 is running normally ( you have the 2.5L V6 & 4 speed auto vs. a 3.0 L & 5 speed auto). B)

:cheers: