Can You Do It Yourself?

1991LS400

Hey guys,

I just got my new lowering springs and Tokico blue shocks in today and I was driving around asking shops how much they'd charge to change out all 4 springs and shocks on my LS 400 and they all quoted me like $350 and said that it was an ALL DAY JOB. I went to some guy at AutoZone and he told me that 1) it's not an all day job and 2) he said that AutoZone has the tools you can rent to put springs and shocks on yourself. He said he did it on his truck.

I do not want to spend $350 for something that can be done in way less than 24 hours...I know that would be a rip-off. I used to have this shop that I always went to and the mechanic changed out my 2 rear springs and shocks in one hour. So I know all 4 can't take 24 hours. That's just ridiculous.

Would it be possible for me to put my new springs and shocks on myself with the springs/shocks rental tools from AutoZone? Are there any important things I need to look at before I put lowering springs and the Tokico shocks on? I need answers asap! I have a guy waiting to buy my factory springs and shocks once I remove them and the longer I take to put my new springs and shocks on the longer it will take for me to send my factory ones to my friend.

It depends on how much experience they have with your car. If it's their first time doing it then all day is possible.

Compressing the springs will be the other issue. If you want them lowered like I have, most shops has to send them out to be pressed; expect at least a couple of hours or so depending on their work load.

If you want to, you could tackle this yourself. I used my floor jack to compress the lowered springs into place.

It depends on how much experience they have with your car.  If it's their first time doing it then all day is possible. 

Compressing the springs will be the other issue.  If you want them lowered like I have, most shops has to send them out to be pressed; expect at least a couple of hours or so depending on their work load.

If you want to, you could tackle this yourself.  I used my floor jack to compress the lowered springs into place.

UCF3,

It sounds like you MADE your springs lower by compressing it, right? My new springs ARE aftermarket lowering springs. All I really gotta do is plug and play. I got my lowering springs and Tokico shocks. All I would have to do is put the springs and shocks on, right? Which one goes on first, the springs or the shock? And do I need to take off all the rotors and brake shoes/pads to remove the springs and shocks?

It depends on how much experience they have with your car.  If it's their first time doing it then all day is possible. 

Compressing the springs will be the other issue.  If you want them lowered like I have, most shops has to send them out to be pressed; expect at least a couple of hours or so depending on their work load.

If you want to, you could tackle this yourself.  I used my floor jack to compress the lowered springs into place.

UCF3,

It sounds like you MADE your springs lower by compressing it, right? My new springs ARE aftermarket lowering springs. All I really gotta do is plug and play. I got my lowering springs and Tokico shocks. All I would have to do is put the springs and shocks on, right? Which one goes on first, the springs or the shock? And do I need to take off all the rotors and brake shoes/pads to remove the springs and shocks?

I believe you can assemble your new springs and shocks before you touch the car. The old ones out as assys., and the new assys in. Shouldn't be too tough.

John

I believe you can assemble your new springs and shocks before you touch the car. The old ones out as assys., and the new assys in. Shouldn't be too tough.

John

Ok, I didn't understand a word you just said. Sorry.

By the way, I read the diagrams on how to remove the front and rear springs/shocks and in the diagrams there's a little piece called a "clip" and it says in the diagram that it is not re-usable but once I assemble my new springs and shocks I need to put a new clip in the control arm. I remember my mechanic in Houston replaced my rear shocks and springs and I don't believe he got a new "clip" or whatever that little piece is. How did he reassemble it without a new clip? Does that clip break or something when you remove it from the control arm? If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, check out the diagrams that one of the members posted above in this thread. Please keep the feedback coming. Everything helps.

John

Not quite unless he has new spring cushions to go with the new spring/shock assemblies.

Would it be possible for me to put my new springs and shocks on myself with the springs/shocks rental tools from AutoZone? 

Sure, but then most other car repairs are also DIY. It all depends on your skills and willingness to tackle challenges. I rented those tools at AutoZone and they worked well, but don't expect the job to be a walk in the park for newbies.

Hey guys,

Ok, I understand your point Shadow, however, what about those clips I was talking about in the diagrams that pachocco1 attached earlier in this post? Where can I get the new clips from? If you look at the diagrams you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't believe my mechanic in the past got new clips when he replaced my rear springs and shocks. Are those clips necessary? Why does the diagram say they're not reusable? Is it POSSIBLE to reuse them? Where I'm at right now, the closest Lexus dealership is 1 hour away and I know I can't find that small !Removed! clip around here. I'm just wondering if I really need it.

By the way, you were talking about new spring cushions...do I need new spring cushions before I put my new lowering springs and Tokico shocks on or can I use the factory ones that were already on my car? Please, can someone just walk me through the process of what I need to check and what needs to be done (aside from what the diagram shows me). I need to hurry up and get this done. Thanks all.

talking about the time it took me my dad and 2 of his friends who has a shop with a lift and such 4 hours to completely change in new shocks it shouldnt be any longer then that... i personally would do it at a shop since suspension is critical in the car and putting it in wrong( we almost put it back in in wrong position in the rear) would be very bad for u and the car... good luck with whatever u choose

So what about those "clips" and "pins" in the diagrams that pachocco attached (above)? Do I need those clips? The diagrams say they're not reusable but I don't think my mechanic in the past got new clips when he removed and replaced my rear shocks/springs. Does no one here know what I'm asking? Hopefully someone can answer my question. Thanks all.

Take from someone who just did shocks, and was only capable of doing the fronts, it's no small chore. You better have a 24 inch breaker bar, plus a cheater bar, deep sockets, liquid wrench, torque wrench with settings up to 150lbs, a comfortable seat with wheels and a lot of shop rags. It's not as simple of a process as it looks. You take off one thing, and realize you need to take of a couple others to get to where you want to go. Oh, and don't forget the asprin, 'cause you're gonna need it! I replaced all control arms on the front and struts this past weekend on my 95....12 hour chore.

So what about those "clips" and "pins" in the diagrams that pachocco attached (above)?  Do I need those clips?

Honestly, I reused those those clips after inspecting them, but I don't advocate others to do the same. :pirate:

I can tell you what you DON"T need to remove for the rear from the instructions above:

2 - b,c,d

3 and 4

That's WAY too much in order to get the strut assembly out. You can access the top strut bolts w/o taking out the parcel shelf by using a 13m socket. There's a little flex to the parcel piece in order to reach the back nuts. No reason to take the axle or brake out either. When you're reinstalling the the new strut, quickly press down on it to compress it (make it shorter) in order to get to fit back up into the upper mount and clear the axle. You'll see what I mean when you try it. It also might still get caught up on the side of the inside wheel well. There was one "edge" which I tapped down with a hammer. I also put some grease where it was hitting which helped it slip right into position. This is probably not an issue if you take the axle out but you're adding hours to the job if you follow the Lexus procedure.

Bob