Air Filters

I was reading all the articles on planetsoarer.com and I read in: http://planetsoarer.com/panelfilter/panelfilter.htm that the K&N filter is somewhat better in the centimeters of water manometer test compared to the Toyota OEM filter. This means that there is less vacuum behind the air filter, which denotes higher rate of air passing through. However, I scrolled down to the bottom and "At the next Australian Lexus Soarer Club dyno day (genuine filter made the most power!) " Besides that, I'm not sure if the K&N has better filtration than the OEM. Another article (forgot which one) says that the K&N filter loses some filtration after every cleaning.

I just finished making the BFI setup, except I have to cut the airbox (my dad might get *BLEEP*ed off at me because it costed $50 dollars to replace it on ebay). Anyways, now with the BFI setup, there's gonna be some air ramming into the filter. Do any of you know which filter will hold up to the beating? Will all that said: Is it better to buy Toyota filter and replace every year or so, or get an aftermarket filter and recharget kit?

This is very debateable, from personal preference I ditched the BFI setup and put a HKS rampod filter in. I then made a seperate section for air to get in for it. THis worked well for me, as for dyno comparison, well I don't know, to me 1-2kw difference isn't really a difference.

my 2 cents

Kent Brockman signing off...

Yes it is very debateable. Basically, a filter is a filter. The oem filter will need to be replaced periodically. Probably more often than once a year. Most of the time, during every oil change they are inspected and probably replace on average of every two oil changes or 6,000 miles depending on how dirty they are. A drop in replacement from something like k&n is nice because they are permanent and washable and boast less restriction. Then you have those cone filter replacements.

Leave the air intake system you have alone. It is NOT restrictive and draws cold air from the outside. Lexus's ae well knowsn for giving excellent performance fromt he factory, a cone filter will just suck hot air from the engine compartment, and K&N filters let more air in, THEY LET MORE DIRTY AIR IN AS WELL. Why do you think their soaked in oil? Oil attracts dirt and dust particles, over time, it becomes stuck in the filter element so that the holes become more clogged and can filter more effectively. There is a custom method of air intake which involves cutting the front off the air-box we have and closing off that area of the engine compartment, and keeping the toyota air filter. This provides the best air intake system yet developed, but I will still stay with the regular stock air system.