93 Tranny

Hey guys and gals. My 93 ES has a strange transmission; sometimes it is so smooth, you cant feel it shift, while other times you find yourself looking in the rearview praying to God that its not rolling down the road behind you! My mom recently bought a 96, which has the 1MZ, which had come to be known for its smoothness as i understand. It never acts like mine does! I'm jealous, but more importantly, i'd like to know if its a common thing with the first-generation ES, or if i can easily fix it, or, heaven forbid, if my car's just getting old! I've also had a 92, and it was the same way, so i'm hoping its fairly common (even though thats still not a good thing). Could it be a motor and/or transmission mount even? I dunno, but hope someone does!

well, the upper torsion control rod (the thing that runs from the engine to the left fender well) was worn out when i bought the car (this being a common problem with the 92 and 93 models), and i have since replaced it. but it didn't help much with the smoothness. i guess it could be attributed to the actual motor mounts, but i dont know how to check them or what to look for. you have a 94 right?