Ebrake Problem

GSsoldier

this may be an electrical problem but when i drive sometimes the ebrake light goes on when  i see it i pull ebrake release and its not engaged so i dont know whats wrong any with any insight?

-joe

The gas strut on my '90 LS is weak, and does not pull the pedal all the way up. I put my foot under it while pulling the handle and help it all the way retracted. That might be what's happening with yours.

One of these daysI'll pull this strut and find an inexpensive replacement, if there is such a thing.

John

This happens to me in my GS as well. When backing up after releasing the break, the light comes back on. Usually just pulling the handle one more snug time releases the break.

Check to see if you have sticky pads or a sticky wire. With other cars I have worked on, just some lub in the wire harness has fixed the problem (dont do this unless you know what you are doing)

i will check the fluid but sometimes it goes on even when i havent used ebrake in a couple days... i usually dont use the ebrake unless parking on a hill... and the last couple days it happens after using just regular breaking

If the light is steady (not blinking), and it won’t go away even after pulling the release again then it’s probably low brake fluid. This happened to me even though my brake fluid was just above the min. mark.

Good Luck

Jacob

I have a similar problem and have not figured it out yet. After releasing the parking brake, the idiot light dims a little but stays lit and when I apply the e-brake, the light brightens. I've tried pulling up on the pedal with my foot but no change. My brake fluid level is fine.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

• 1 month later...
update...

turns out it was brake fluid... we added some more to it and it disappeared... but now the brakes are jelloly maybe its time to replace pads soon before they start warping rotors

-joe

Usually the loss of brake fluid means the pads are on thier way out.

update...

turns out it was brake fluid... we added some more to it and it disappeared... but now the brakes are jelloly maybe its time to replace pads soon before they start warping rotors

-joe

May need to bleed brake lines - you may have air in the lines causing a soft pedal. Check pads at same time.