Cd Changer For A 1996

93LSOwner

1. Does it need a different stereo in the dash for a cd changer to work?

2. How hard is to mount&plug in the changer, in the trunk preferably? Similar to hooking up subs from the trunk?

Thanks.

If your 96 Camry has a single DIN OEM radio with a CD button and built in CD controls like our 98, there is a "data port" in the back of the radio for attaching a CD changer. It is "plug and play". (You can locate the changer under the passenger seat.) If not you may need a different Toyota radio with this feature or an after market radio that accepts a changer. "Google" "Toyota CD changers" and you will likely find a few choices. I saw several recently for $200 - $300.

We have a 200 watts CD player but it does not fit perfectly into the slot, there seems to be space left around it, this was told by one of my friends who tried to replace the cassette player on our car.

I guess I don't understand. If you have a "pocket" under a Toyota single DIN radio/cassette player (that has a CD button and labeled CD controls) like our 98 Camry, the pocket can be removed and replaced with a Toyota single disk CD player. The Toyota 6 disc CD player does not fit into this pocket. Toyota also sold a three disc changer that fit into this single DIN pocket. The single disc player can be used with a remote mounted 6 disc changer for a total of 7 discs and the convenience of being able to pop a CD directly into the in-dash CD player.