Need Help, Pros And Cons Of Gs400 And Gs300

Well, im 24 and ive had 19 cars so far. Probably the nicest ive owned was a Mercededs Benz ML430 SUV, but im more of a car guy at heart. Ive been working on Honda's and usually own a couple at a time (turbod crx, various custom civics, ect...)

ANYWAYS, ive always loved Lexus. I am in love with the IS300, which i was going to buy but the ML430 won the decision (bad decision......overrated IMO)

So ive decided I want a GS.......I love the look of them and would love to work on one, nothing crazy though. (blitz kit and exhaust, intake, 20" wheels, nice stereo, ect...)

What would you guys recommend? Ive never even driven one because there is never any on the lot here. Besides the engine, what are the major advantages of the 400 over the 300? Im looking at about a 99-00 also......

And if i get a 300 i am not going to turbo it.

Any info and help would be appreciated! thanks everyone!

-Kurt

Saskatoon, Sask

Canada

Glad to hear your going to join our Lexus family (hell I sound like a sales man YIKES!!!)  :blink:

To put it simply, The 400 is faster then the 300 and the 400 ride is a little stiffer or sporty. Ive owned both and would buy the 400 only because I like speed!  :ph34r:

Ither one you buy Im sure you will be happy. I have some Lowenheart 20" BR5's I might sell ya if you want. I paid 6k with the tires for them. They wont fit on my 2006 GS430, darn it..... :cries:  :censored:

Well, im 24 and ive had 19 cars so far.  Probably the nicest ive owned was a Mercededs Benz ML430 SUV, but im more of a car guy at heart.  Ive been working on Honda's and usually own a couple at a time (turbod crx, various custom civics, ect...)

ANYWAYS, ive always loved Lexus. I am in love with the IS300, which i was going to buy but the ML430 won the decision (bad decision......overrated IMO)

So ive decided I want a GS.......I love the look of them and would love to work on one, nothing crazy though. (blitz kit and exhaust, intake, 20" wheels, nice stereo, ect...)

What would you guys recommend? Ive never even driven one because there is never any on the lot here. Besides the engine, what are the major advantages of the 400 over the 300? Im looking at about a 99-00 also......

-Kurt

Saskatoon, Sask

Canada

I've never driven a 400 but if you want quick, you will be disappointed by the 300. Smooth as silk but definitely could use a few more ponies.

differences are also in the lights...HID fogs and xenon headlights for the 430. I believe the e-shift option is only on the 300. Heated seats and wood trim standard on the 4. I get about 15mpg. I use it for mostly city driving.

GS430X6.. how much u selling rims 4?

differences are also in the lights...HID fogs and xenon headlights for the 430.  I believe the e-shift option is only on the 300.  Heated seats and wood trim standard on the 4.  I get about 15mpg.  I use it for mostly city driving.

Does the 400 have the shifting on the steeringwheel? I would love to have that. The 430 is out of my price range, but ive found some 400's for pretty cheap!

so basically its just engine, suspension and HID's is the difference? Ive been leaning towards the 400 anyways, but since ive never even sat in one i should get some opinions!

and GS430X6, lowenhearts are beautiful wheels! although i manage a performance shop in town here, so i'll end up buying direct :D and have been kinda leaning towards DUB "Big Homies" although i also want to try somthing different than the traditional 5 spoke design.

Glad to hear your going to join our Lexus family (hell I sound like a sales man YIKES!!!)  :blink:

To put it simply, The 400 is faster then the 300 and the 400 ride is a little stiffer or sporty. Ive owned both and would buy the 400 only because I like speed!  :ph34r:

Ither one you buy Im sure you will be happy. I have some Lowenheart 20" BR5's I might sell ya if you want. I paid 6k with the tires for them. They wont fit on my 2006 GS430, darn it.....:cries:  :censored:

I ordered a 2006 GS430 Black/Chasmere, how do you like it? Does the 430 require 91 octane? Do you have XM Sat Radio? Are the run flat tires harsh on the ride?

I ordered a 2006 GS430 Black/Chasmere, how do you like it? Does the 430 require 91 octane? Do you have XM Sat Radio? Are the run flat tires harsh on the ride?

when i bought my 02 300 bout 3 weeks ago i was talking to the salesman and he said the run flats make the ride not so nice as to regular tires i guess..he said that was the only thing he didnt like cause i guess you can feel it i wouldnt know i never drove one just at work and i wasnt even paying attention lol..i want a 430 so bad not the 06 though i dont like the new body...i love this car though its my second car and i cant be more happier with it..its fast for me cause im used to a volvo but i would like a gs430...my next lexus is gonna be a LS430...i could go on for days bout my car but i wont lol...

when i bought my 02 300 bout 3 weeks ago i was talking to the salesman and he said the run flats make the ride not so nice as to regular tires i guess..he said that was the only thing he didnt like cause i guess you can feel it i wouldnt know i never drove one just at work and i wasnt even paying attention lol..i want a 430 so bad not the 06 though i dont like the new body...i love this car though its my second car and i cant be more happier with it..its fast for me cause im used to a volvo but i would like a gs430...my next lexus is gonna be a LS430...i could go on for days bout my car but i wont lol...

Wait a year and the LS is changing completely and there will be a hybrid version. I also heard rumors of a V12

Wait a year and the LS is changing completely and there will be a hybrid version. I also heard rumors of a V12

a V12 in the LS would be amazing! arent all the lexus models going to be available in hybird's too? when i went to the NYC auto show they had the GS's LS's and the RX's all in hybirds i dunno bout hybirds though..you think they are still gonna keep the ES around?

Does the 400 have the shifting on the steeringwheel? I would love to have that.  The 430 is out of my price range, but ive found some 400's for pretty cheap!

so basically its just engine, suspension and HID's is the difference? Ive been leaning towards the 400 anyways, but since ive never even sat in one i should get some opinions!

eshift is on the 98-00 GS400 and 01+ GS300. There should also not be any difference in suspension for the 2.

Does the 400 have the shifting on the steeringwheel? I would love to have that.  The 430 is out of my price range, but ive found some 400's for pretty cheap!

eshift is on the 98-00 GS400 and 01+ GS300. There should also not be any difference in suspension for the 2.

Thanks, what do you guys think of the eshift?

E-shift is a toy. This is the first car I've had in 40 years that is not a stick. Just face the fact you are buying an automatic and live (and enjoy) it's benefits.

The real difference in the cars is the 300hp of the V-8. You drive long distances (say 10 hours) and you never get tired because there is so little pressure you have to put on the accelerator pedal to keep up to speed.

differences are also in the lights...HID fogs and xenon headlights for the 430.  I believe the e-shift option is only on the 300.  Heated seats and wood trim standard on the 4.  I get about 15mpg.  I use it for mostly city driving.

Does the 400 have the shifting on the steeringwheel? I would love to have that. The 430 is out of my price range, but ive found some 400's for pretty cheap!

and GS430X6, lowenhearts are beautiful wheels! although i manage a performance shop in town here, so i'll end up buying direct :D and have been kinda leaning towards DUB "Big Homies" although i also want to try somthing different than the traditional 5 spoke design.

The 400 has the eshift on the wheel (I have it) The 430 got rid of it for a ULEV vehicle...

E-shift is a toy. This is the first car I've had in 40 years that is not a stick. Just face the fact you are buying an automatic and live (and enjoy) it's benefits.

I don't believe the eshift to be a toy! It works wonders when wanting instant power versus the 1 sec power ramp to an open throttle. Going 80 hold it at 3rd gear and feel the difference with hte eshift versus being in 5th and downshifting.

I've also found the eshift is nice when holding the acceleration while cornering. The lexus shift lag with the traditional automatic (430) tends to jump into gear too hard when pulling out of a corner.

Well, im 24 and ive had 19 cars so far.  Probably the nicest ive owned was a Mercededs Benz ML430 SUV, but im more of a car guy at heart.  Ive been working on Honda's and usually own a couple at a time (turbod crx, various custom civics, ect...)

Any info and help would be appreciated! thanks everyone!

-Kurt

Saskatoon, Sask

Canada

I looked at both, settled on the GS430. I always lean toward horsepower. The thing I like best about my 430 (besides the fact that I have the only one around here) is the fact that there are very few cars on the road that are faster.

We have a local BMW dealership and those cars are common. Had a guy who just bought a Z4 (had the paper temp plate) and wanted to play. Pretty much ignored him until we entered the freeway. He was in front of me and leaned on it pretty hard. I pulled up right on his bumper, backed off a couple of lengths and nailed it again, once more pulling right up on his bumper. (wanted to let him know that if I had the ground clearance, I could have run over him). Sure, you wouldn't want to tangle with an M5, and there are a few MB's to avoid, but for the most part, with a GS 400, you will be in a pretty exclusive club.

eShift is ghey! Used it once, found it quite useless and restrictive.

You may just not have enough power going to the back wheels to notice the difference. ;)

It has nothing to do with the power and everything to do with control. If you want to shift get a real standard, if you don't..get an automatic. The eShift is a hybrid and lacks the shifting control you get with a true manual.

Was there any difference between the 98-00 GS400???

Changes Made To The 1999 GS 400

- Adoption of daytime running lights

- 50-state emission certification

- Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle (T-LEV) certification

- Floor mats standardized

Changes Made To The 2000 GS 400

Standard Features:

- Brake Assist

- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets

Optional Features:

- New exterior colors: Crystal White and Millennium Silver Metallic replace Diamond White Pearl and Alpine Silver Metallic

i think alot of people forget that there is a difference between cars in US and Canada.

Daytime running lights have been standard issue on all cars shipped to canada for a long time, maybe since the mid 1990s. also, any gs300 i looked at in canada had the e-shift and HIDs. i do know that all gs400s had wood trim as a standard option except for the sport edition which had black wood, if im not mistaken.

i honestly think that you should go for a gs400. own the flagship. if a gs430 is outta your price range, go with the 400. being from canada and seeing the market, i know that for the most part gs300s sell for approximately the same as gs400s. you will love the V8. i feel like im being un-couthe for bringing this comparison up, but it would be like considering a BMW 330 or an M3. such a huge power difference and the gs400 was the flagship car.

80 HP and 85TQ difference is noticeable. it would just seem to me that you would get bored so fast with the 3.0L of the gs300.

sorry if i offended anyone with a gs300, but when i was looking for my gs.....i drove a 400, then drove a 300 and went running back to the 400.

i think alot of people forget that there is a difference between cars in US and Canada.

Daytime running lights have been standard issue on all cars shipped to canada for a long time, maybe since the mid 1990s.  also, any gs300 i looked at in canada had the e-shift and HIDs.  i do know that all gs400s had wood trim as a standard option except for the sport edition which had black wood, if im not mistaken.

i honestly think that you should go for a gs400.  own the flagship.  if a gs430 is outta your price range, go with the 400.  being from canada and seeing the market, i know that for the most part gs300s sell for approximately the same as gs400s.  you will love the V8.  i feel like im being un-couthe for bringing this comparison up, but it would be like considering a BMW 330 or an M3.  such a huge power difference and the gs400 was the flagship car.

80 HP and 85TQ difference is noticeable.  it would just seem to me that you would get bored so fast with the 3.0L of the gs300.

sorry if i offended anyone with a gs300, but when i was looking for my gs.....i drove a 400, then drove a 300 and went running back to the 400.

*SNIFF* *SNIFF*

Now I'm feeling so inadequate :cries:

B)

The e-shift is great, I use it when tracking up the mountains, or out some of the twisty roads around here. Prevents a shift when you don't want one, and lets you stay in the RPM range you want. And you still have an automatic, which is just fine for those of us who are confident enough to let the car shift for us. If I want to shift gears, I drive a Mack.

Get the 400. Stomp all the posers in other cars. Make no apologies for "lack of power".

As well as the rest of the world. :)

Sorry I did not notice that Sask_EK was from Canada. My list is from a US car point of view.

I whink the biggest change is the brake assist in the 2000 model. I heard that it really helps. I say heard because I have a 98 and have not driven in one of the newer cars. The few people I know who has it claim it helps.

Thanks for the help everyone. I just have to get rid of my two civics here and then hopefully in a few months have some cash saved so I can pick one up.

So did all the GS400's come with HID's?????