Thinking Of Buying 94 Ls400 For 5k-lexus Godz Help

akewlguy

Hello happy Lexus owners.. Soon I will join your ranks. Presently I have been searching through numerous websites to find the best deal for me.

Two Lexus's that stand out are a 94 LS400 160K ($5,000) or the 97ES with 41k miles ($10,000).

The ES gets better gas mileage and is less of a car for double the price. The owner for this LS has all repair records. Also owner states LS has mostly highway miles driving to work (80 miles). LS has a replaced timing belt and records showing oil changes every 2k miles. My primary concerns are the miles and the posibility of a common problems stated by other LEXUS members (LED lights, fuel pump and ball joints).. The LS drives amazingly well.. Extremly comfortable, fast and smooth. Any suggestions about what I should look for and if this car is a good deal are greatly appreciated.. Also I did see a few LS400 94's 95k for about 9k...

You have a judgement call - I like the size/power of the LS much, much more than the ES.

160k mile LS for $5000 sucks - for $7-8000 you should be able to find an LS just under 100k miles. Pay the extra $2k and get a good one with records.

When buying a used car, patience is EVERYTHING important.

ES and Toyota Camry share the same chasis... Consumer Report wrote an article regarding this before.

So getting a ES is like driving a Camry with Lexus luxury. Besides, ES is an entry level Lexus...

My 2 cents. Have you consider the '95-'98 models ? They are the 2nd Generation LS. See http://www.lexls.com/lsgenerations.html for more details.

BR,

V.

The records for the 2K mile oil changes sounds enticing. Also- mostly highway/freeway miles is much better on a car than city miles.

True- this car is at the age when these problems can occur, but sometimes they go much later.

I paid $4K for my 90' LS400 with 224K a couple of years ago- which I realize was way too much after I bought it. I sold it for $3K, but I did get a lot of use and enjoyment out of it.

As mentioned- those items can last much longer. My car did have the suspension woes (front clunking), but the instrument panel lamps were still perfect (until I hit a HUGE pothole on the northbound freeway entry loop and it knocked out my speedometer needle light. My LCD was still original and working, but before I sold it, it had started going dark - especially in the mornings.

Good luck!

Those 4.0 litre V8 engines are awsome! I look at it like this: You get two of the best engines ever made, that Toyota built 2.0 litre 4 cylinder hook up together. I honestly think the reason why these engines last for hundreds of thousands of miles is because you never really have to use more than 30% of their capacity. When I'm driving around town, or even on the highway, I RARELY have to rev above 3,000 rpm. Only if I'm going 90mph does the engine hit 2,500 and stay there. These engines just purrrr along. The V6 engines can't say that, they are reved further up the band to get to speed. In my opion, the higher the revs, the harder on the engine. Now, that's not to say I don't blow out the carbon every now and then, and you know, it is a V8 :rolleyes: !

I agree with e2vincent....hunt for a generation 2 model "started in 95". They made some drastic improvements regarding some of the constant issues with the 1st generation. Like the dashboard lights. Lexus is an automaker that LISTENS to it's customers. They see an ongoing problem, and they fix it.

Not to mention....that 4.0 liter V8 engine gets 21 city / 26 Highway....or at least mine does with 99k on the ticker. That's better than my rev-happy 3.0 liter V6 Maxima engine ever got!

You have a judgement call - I like the size/power of the LS much, much more than the ES.

160k mile LS for $5000 sucks - for $7-8000 you should be able to find an LS just under 100k miles.  Pay the extra $2k and get a good one with records.

When buying a used car, patience is EVERYTHING important.

Hello.. I would like to get a car with 100k or less, but at that point it needs the timing belt so that is 8k + 1k = 9k or a car with 160k highway miles for 5k.. My concern now is the fact car was in the north for 12 years.. Does anyone have a solid body and high mileage after 12 years in the north? I know that lower ball joints go about 180-200k so reguardless of weather they will more then likely need to be changed.. What ever I choose will be my first Lexus and I will make a ton of money over next few years to buy a newer one then...

I agree. When I had my 90' LS400 - I too also very rarely had to take it over 3,000 rpms. I think the highest I ever had it was 4000 rpms and that was when I had to make a quick pass on the freeway around a semi.

When I'm driving around town, or even on the highway, I RARELY have to rev above 3,000 rpm. Only if I'm going 90mph does the engine hit 2,500 and stay there. These engines just purrrr along.

My '93 LS spent the first 8 years of its life in Jersey before moving to Maryland. I don't think it was ever garaged. I don't have any rust problems on it. I think they can withstand the weather and road salts with no problem, BUT nothing beats a look underneath to see for yourself.

I am assuming that you would have someone look at the car before buying it. When your mechanic puts it on a lift to look at everything else, have him check on the condition of the frame, exhaust, and any other rust prone areas.

• 2 weeks later...

What amazes me is if you buy a 95 with 80-90k miles for 9k you could put 50k on it and sell for 5k. I suppose one would also have to get new timing belt, but still these cars hold there value extremly well.

I just reviewed the generations link and I see the little difference from 94 to 95.. WOW I really like those small changes with the grill, 10hp, headlight and tail lights..

Well learning more each day.. Has anyone heard of a dead LS LEXUS? I suppose even those are worth something.