New Rx400h

After a two year wait, my silver/black RX400h is finally parked in my garage! I thought I'd hate the brushed aluminum interior, but it's actually really cool looking with the black interior. Also, with the silver exterior, it adds some continuity in the look.

On the drive home, I had the NAV on and in the dark I couldn't figure out where the mileage reading is, so I have no idea how I did on my 65 mile drive, 45 miles of which were on the NY Thruway.

Also can't find the switch to turn on *all* the interior lights (but I do know where the two front map lights are, just not the rear interior light).

It was pouring rain while I was at the dealer, so I didn't get the dealer's feature set-up on all the personal options. I can get that next time I'm in, so it really doesn't bother me. I've got lots of reading to do. I suspect that half the extra weight difference between the RX330 and the RX400h is the weight of the owners manuals!

It's quiet, it's fast, it's cool looking and comfy. If it's also turns out to be as economical as I hope it will be, I'll be thrilled even more!

:cheers: Congrats! I spent the first night reading all the manuals (my husband was completely annoyed :P ) and it was definitely a good move.

I agree with you about the brushed metal look on the inside, I prefer it to the wood. Seems to be more in line with the overall feel of this version.

Happy driving!

Congratulations and welcome to the "spin all four tires with 650 lbs-ft of torque" club! The power is amazing now; I can't wait until the breakin miles are achieved (1000 miles). Also, go easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles or so to seat the pads correctly. :cheers:

Congrats - I have not seen ANY RX400H's on the road (behind me, side, or in front of me).

If/when I do see one, am I supposed to get out of the way? Or salute? Or just smile and think about getting one years, many many years from now?

I'm glad you like the silver instead of the wood. That is my biggest gripe. I ordered one 1.5 years ago, and my dealer is bringing it over as I write this. I'm a lazy *BLEEP*. I'm trading in my RX330 because they are giving me such a great trade in. I hope I don't have buyers remorse, because I love my current vehicle so much.

Congrats - I have not seen ANY RX400H's on the road (behind me, side, or in front of me).

If/when I do see one, am I supposed to get out of the way?  Or salute?  Or just smile and think about getting one years, many many years from now?

Speaking of this I have a funny story, I was driving home from work when my cell phone rang. I answered it (via the steering wheel - yay for bluetooth!) and my friend called to tell me he could see a 400h in front of him on the interstate and that I had a friend out there! Of course we both started laughing a few minutes later when he passed me and we realized it was my car he was seeing!

I have yet to see anothing one, but I will definitely give a happy wave when I do!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm having a blast driving the new toy. On lunch break today I figured out a few more buttons and functions while waiting for one of my daily "interminable" traffic lights (2.5 minutes.... I've timed it to be sure I wasn't nuts). After work I cracked open the War & Peace owners manual and found a whole bunch of things I'll probably never use, like a schedule calendar. I have a Sony Clie for that. Also how to find my dealer. I found them quite easily with no NAV, so I think I'll pass on programming that one in. :-)

I love the rear camera, among other gadgets. It helps a lot particularly driving an unfamiliar vehicle. The automatic rear hatch is awsome, especially coming out of a store with both hands full. Back seat passenger reported supreme comfort whilst reclining peacefully back there.

av8tr, I know what you mean about the metal vs wood. My parents' 1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 had a huge brushed metal dash that reflected the sun into your eyes if the sun was coming through the back window. I remember thinking what a stupid design that was, and couldn't believe it was making a comeback in 2005 (or is it 06?). I thought I'd hate it, but found I actually like it. The quality is very nice, and it's not shiny enough to reflect sun glare. That said, the RX330 wood is also nice, but the Thundercloud Edition black maple is the one to die for. I wonder if that'll be available as an option?

Like everybody else, I have a few very minor peeves. Why is the center console *almost, but not quite* wide enough for easily stacking CDs front to rear? (A smaller quantity fits easily from left to right.) Where's XM/Sirius? Not essential, but for $50 large, mirrors with turn signals seem to be the order of the day on lux vehicles.

I've only averaged 22.5 mpg so far, but that's mostly highway. I bought the vehicle because I spend more time at very poorly timed red lights these days than I do on the Thruway. I think I'll probably average 28 or so once everything is broken in a bit, and that suits me fine for a fast AWD luxury SUV.