Hamster In My Car?

Hello guys,

I have a 98 gs4 and I have noticed that everytime I turn my AC on I hear this like hamster wheel noise (best way I know how to describe it) coming from the AC controls on the dash...like behind thedash somewhere behind the radio or something....It alsmost sound slike if you stuck a straw in a glass of water and blew air into the straw...like bubbles or something, but not quite.

Its getting really anoying and Im wondering what the heck that noise is. When I turn the AC off it takes about 2 minutes to stop but it stops. And then if I turn the ac back on , the noise comes back.

Anyone know what this pain in my behind could be?

THanks

Well, I don't even want to guess about the pain in your behind. However, your car I'll take a stab at. There have been some problems brought up with the 3rd gen GS3 and coolant making gurgling noises as it flowing through the heat exchanger inside the car. Search for that. Might be air in the system?? <_<

• 1 month later...

i have the same problem but with a 2001 gs300, its really annoying, did you have any luck fixing yours

Hello guys,

I have a 98 gs4 and I have noticed that everytime I turn my AC on I hear this like hamster wheel noise (best way I know how to describe it) coming from the AC controls on the dash...like behind thedash somewhere behind the radio or something....It alsmost sound slike if you stuck a straw in a glass of water and blew air into the straw...like bubbles or something, but not quite.

Its getting really anoying and Im wondering what the heck that noise is.  When I turn the AC off it takes about 2 minutes to stop but it stops. And then if I turn the ac back on , the noise comes back.

Anyone know what this pain in my behind could be?

THanks

• 3 months later...
Did you ever get a fix for this?  I just got a 01 GS300 with the same problem and need some help.  Thanks!

If you would have searched you would have this fixed :chairshot:

From another post:

The noise is coming from the servo motor that moves the door for the "mode" button. This servo moves diverters to change from vent to floor, etc.

- I popped the bottom panel off under the glove box.

- I then removed the glove box assembly. 2 screws up high, 2 bolts down low.

- With the key on engine off you can press the mode button and watch the servo move. Turn the key completely off.

- Remove 3 screws and plug to take the assembly out.

- Do not attempt to rotate the arm on the end of the servo. It engages w/ a worm gear. Turn it and you will break gears.

- The servo is a snap together unit. Carefully take it apart w/ the arm side down.(so gears don't fall out)

- inside you will see multiple whiper fingers that make contact w/ a gear. Carefully clean these w/ alcohol and a cotton swab.

- Redistribute the contact grease on the whiper pad w/ a clean finger (any oil or lotions on skin will mix w/ the grease and make the copper contacts corrode.

- Carefully snap unit back together.

- Clean contacts on the outer part of servo also w/ alcohal.

The other option is to have Lexus diagnose this for you and hit you for $160 for the part plus ~ an hour or 2 labor.

So far the noise is gone and the HVAC system works properly. I will post any updates if the problem comes back. I think the problem was caused by crusty contacts in the servo that were creating a poor signal back to the computer that controls it.

• 6 months later...

Most likely it is the blower. A leaf or something probably found its way in there, and is spinning around in there like a baseball card hitting the spokes of a wheel. We see this a lot at my dealership.

Romy, Read the comment, No leaf or ??? It is a very common problem.

Typical dealership diagnosis. :censored:

No need to get all *BLEEP*y about it ok? I'm just stating what I've seen, and personal experiences. I'm not a mechanic, nor a service writer. I am the New-Car Inventory Manager. they asked if we might know what it might be. I said "Most Likely it is the blower", not "It is the blower".

Not everyone will have the same knowledge as you, and that is why they ask, and people respond. If you don't have anything good to say, then just don't say it.

No need to get all *BLEEP*y about it ok? I'm just stating what I've seen, and personal experiences. I'm not a mechanic, nor a service writer. I am the New-Car Inventory Manager. they asked if we might know what it might be. I said "Most Likely it is the blower", not "It is the blower".

Not everyone will have the same knowledge as you, and that is why they ask, and people respond. If you don't have anything good to say, then just don't say it.

Blah Blah Blah, The same Shi$ One gets from the inexperienced stealer. ( Caps intended ) IF YOU WOULD HAVE READ THE "FIX" FOR THE ALL TOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!! OFTEN PROBLEM, YOUR REPLY WOULD NOT BE NEEDEED.................... geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!

Answer me this >>>> Have you had the same problems w/your lex ? And if you answer yes, What was your fix ??? I suppose you actually had a HAMPSTER or ? in your ? :lol: :D :D :D

In my lex? No, but I've had an MR-2, and a Honda Civic that both had a couple leaves in it. My fix... open the blower, and vacuum it out.

My point exactly. This function still works the last time I used it : http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?act=Search&f=1

What year Mr 2 did you have ?