What Type Of Tranny Fluid?

ED.

i am confused on which transmission fluid should go in these cars. my local lexus dealer said it should be t4 and the guy my dad talked to at autozone said dextron 3 was fine. what do you all think?

thanks

ed

i am confused on which transmission fluid should go in these cars. my local lexus dealer said it should be t4 and the guy my dad talked to at autozone said dextron 3 was fine. what do you all think?

thanks

ed

Actually you can use Amsoil synthetic ATF......it's compatable with both Toyota type IV & Dexron III & has longer drain intervals ;) B)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

:cheers:

thanks

ed

Actually you can use Amsoil synthetic ATF......it's compatable with both Toyota type IV & Dexron III & has longer drain intervals ;) B)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

I just purchased a case of BG Universal Synthetic ATF, same deal as Amsoil. Good for Dextron 3 and All ATF+3 applications, Chrysler, MItisubishi,Toyota, etc. Actually they sell ATF+3 at Wall Mart for 2 bucks a qt. Also at Pep Boys they have Gunk synthetic trans fluid supplement (black bottle). This converts dextron to +3 for Chrysler and Toyota, Honda etc, says right on the bottle Toyota. A big tranny rebuild shop here in Denver only uses Dextron 3 and then adds +3 Suppliment to all cars requiring special fluid. They claim there are only 2 fluids, Dextron 3 and +3 in regular or synthetic. They say the car companys are just hosing people to buy their own products. Make you own decision or just buy the Toyota brand.

Like engine oil, ATF lubricates the bushings, bearings, and gears of the transmission. In that respect, all ATF's, Dexron, Mercon, Ford, Toyota, whatever, perform that function very well. Unlike engine oil, ATF types are also formulated to provide a particular shift "feel", as the clutches and bands are applied, according to the valve body characteristics, or the power train control module, whichever commands the shift in response to load, RPM, and temperature. In that regard, the type of fluid will make the trans shift differently, which in itself may not harm the trans, just make it shift in a manner the factory may not have intended. Toyota fluid is modified to produce the shift feel that Toyota and Lexus intended, which may not be the feel produced by other fluids.

I prefer the trans to shift as the factory intended, so I use Type IV. I don't use it because the trans will blow up, or wear out, or smell funny on other fluids - it won't. I just want the performance that Toyota engineered into it.

Like engine oil, ATF lubricates the bushings, bearings, and gears of the transmission.  In that respect, all ATF's, Dexron, Mercon, Ford, Toyota, whatever, perform that function very well.  Unlike engine oil, ATF types are also formulated to provide a particular shift "feel", as the clutches and bands are applied, according to the valve body characteristics, or the power train control module, whichever commands the shift in response to load, RPM, and temperature.  In that regard, the type of fluid will make the trans shift differently, which in itself may not harm the trans, just make it shift in a manner the factory may not have intended.  Toyota fluid is modified to produce the shift feel that Toyota and Lexus intended, which may not be the feel produced by other fluids. 

I prefer the trans to shift as the factory intended, so I use Type IV.  I don't use it because the trans will blow up, or wear out, or smell funny on other fluids - it won't.  I just want the performance that Toyota engineered into it.

Amsoil ATF will run cooler than conventional tranny fluid (the number 1 enemy of an automatic transmission is heat!), protects better & stays more fluid in extreme cold temperatures along with extended drain intervals. Have yet to hear any complaints with the shift quality with it. B)

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

this is my first post to this fantastic forum. I'm from Germany and own a '93 LS 400. I don't think I have to mention that I love this car :rolleyes:

I also drive a '84 Corvette and I love the contrast between these two cars. Smooth, quiet perferction vs. emotional roughness.

My first question: I ordered Toyota Type IV transmission fluid for my LS, but I got Toyota Type T fluid. I've been told that it's the correct fluid. Can anybody confirm this? What's the difference between Type T and Type IV? All I could find was that some 4WD Toyotas need Type T, but is it okay to put it into my LS?

Thanks for your help,

Greetings from autobahn-country,

Andy :)

Hi everybody,

this is my first post to this fantastic forum. I'm from Germany and own a '93 LS 400. I don't think I have to mention that I love this car  :rolleyes:

I also drive a '84 Corvette and I love the contrast between these two cars. Smooth, quiet perferction vs. emotional roughness.

My first question: I ordered Toyota Type IV transmission fluid for my LS, but I got Toyota Type T fluid. I've been told that it's the correct fluid. Can anybody confirm this? What's the difference between Type T and Type IV? All I could find was that some 4WD Toyotas need Type T, but is it okay to put it into my LS?

Thanks for your help,

Andy  :)

I recently changed the tranny filter in my '90 LS, and used the Type T. I had put in dextron III before, and had some funny-feeling shudders, poor shifting. Toyota parts guy said Type IV is for newer transmissions, and the T was what I should use. Owners manual said type II.

Anyway, the shudder is gone, and shifts feel great!

Hi everybody,

this is my first post to this fantastic forum. I'm from Germany and own a '93 LS 400. I don't think I have to mention that I love this car  :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help,

Andy  :)

I recently changed the tranny filter in my '90 LS, and used the Type T. I had put in dextron III before, and had some funny-feeling shudders, poor shifting. Toyota parts guy said Type IV is for newer transmissions, and the T was what I should use. Owners manual said type II.

Anyway, the shudder is gone, and shifts feel great!

Tranny filter ? I am under the impression that there is a screen...............

jadecuir, thanks for your reply. Now I dare to put the Type T in it :cheers:

I ordered the tranny filter too, without knowing that it's a mesh screen. Expensive thing, and there's no official statement when to change it. But I have to drop the transmission to change the rear main seal, so why not changing the filter at 100k... (for the last time in the car's life) ;)

Thanks again,

Andy..

My dad and his buddies took a motorcyle rally trip through the Black Forest over there a couple years ago. I WANT TO VISIT GERMANY TOO! Beautiful country!! It's the one country in Europe I reallllllly want to see!

You'll be fine with the Type T.

Tell me if you come over here one day, and I'll take you out for a 150 mph ride in my '93 LS. You speed-limited american guys don't know what you're missing, one of the best sides of this car: high speed on the autobahn. Quite calm, stable, no wet hands... but I prefer cruising speed at around 90 mph though :)

greets,

Andy...