1999 Rx300 Spark Plug Replacement

golfinbud

You may want to try getting to them from under the vehicle. That's how I use to get to the rear bank spark plugs on a V-6 Camry. When I ran a tire shop I had access to a hoist so I would raise the car & use a long extension & a u-joint socket to get to the spark plugs. Hope this helps.

Getting to those three rear plugs is one of the most difficult challenges I've ever seen in DIY auto maintenance. You'll need an assortment of socket set U-joints and extensions and it really helps if you have very small hands (my hands are huge). Even the experienced Lexus and Toyota service techs grumble about having to replace the three rear plugs and they have the best tools available. It's a good thing that these iridium plugs are engineered to go 120,000 miles because I plan to replace the plugs on my wife's RX only once during our ownership span of this vehicle. She's approaching 87,000 miles and I don't look forward to that task at all.

• 5 weeks later...

I did mine with an assortment of extensions and u joints. The chilton/haynes manual for 97-01 (or thereabouts--I know 99 and 00 are in the same book) camrys under the v-6 give instructions.

Also, an old trick from motorcycle riding that was key on putting the new plugs in was to get about a 14-18" piece of vacuum hose onto the top of the plug and drop it in and turn....prevents any cross threading and once the threads catch its easy to pull back out. I would not think of trying without using this trick...