Rx300 Sludge...engine Flush?

1992gsrforsale

Just bought a 1999 rx300 with 56k on the odo. Appears to some sludge when you look in the oil fill. Has had regular oil changes, but was driven in Phoenix...where stop and go traffic can happen for hours in 120 degree weather. My mechanic suggested an engine flush, but he also said as long as I change the oil regularly (every 3k) It would most lilkley be fine without a flush? My thoughts are that a engine flush might do more harm than good because you would be "stripping" the "seasoned" oil or the oil that has been impregnated into the metal. Would i be better off just changing the oil every 3k. (which is what I would do anyway) What about a switch to synthetic? I just dont like the idea of driving a time bomb and would like to try to reverse or stop any more build up problems. Thanks for any help.

I agree, I would seriously consider switching to synthetic. I suggest Amsoil synthetic & before you switch, use their own engine flush (after you pour it in the engine, let it idle for 20 - 30 minutes, drain the old oil out & put the fresh Amsoil in). I'd go with Amsoil's own oil filters as well. B)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx (engine oil)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx (engine flush)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sdf.aspx (oil filter)

It the best stuff you can use! ;)

:cheers:

Ditto - approach your local Lexus dealer before you do anything else.

A 3,000 mile oil-change interval may be overkill, even in your hot climate. 5,000 miles is the norm. If you opt to go synthetic, you may want to consider stretching that to 7,500 miles or even 10,000 miles. There's a considerable amount of debate on this site about oils and change intervals - spend some time perusing the subject. And while you're at it, check the threads on RX transmission problems as well. The weak link in the RX series is definitely the transmission, especially for all-wheel-drive models.

If your able I would pull a cam cover and check to see if it is sludge or just the area under the filler cap. You can't see the sludge that will cause a problem with out pulling cam covers. That is what a dealer will do if they are trying to find the sludge. Any one that tells you you can see it with out pulling a cam cover is IMHO not doing his job.

Jeff

Thanks Guys- I will be going to dealership soon.  Where is a good place to find TSB's ?

www.alldata.com & look for the TSB's.

Thanks, I also found them at clublexus.com.

What did your dealer say about your engine? :unsure:

Thanks Guys- I will be going to dealership soon.  Where is a good place to find TSB's ?

www.alldata.com & look for the TSB's.

Thanks, I also found them at clublexus.com.

What did your dealer say about your engine? :unsure:

I have not gone down yet, we live in the sticks, the dealership is in the city which is about a hour and a half drive...I will let you guys know when it happens. Thanks for the concern!

I have not gone down yet, we live in the sticks, the dealership is in the city which is about a hour and a half drive...I will let you guys know when it happens.  Thanks for the concern!

Keep us posted when you do get a chance......I'm courious. B)

• 18 years later...

I own a 2000 RX 300 first my parking brake light remains on even though the parking brake is not on, next the windows including the sun roof would roll down when I touched the driver's window button or when I turned the ignition key to off position. Now the engine light comes on and off and there is a different sound coming from the engine. Overwhelmed with all I took the vehicle to a Toyota dealership near me and was told that I have sludge and the engine needs to be replace. I not sure what to do. 

Please give some advise.