Trans Jerks !

When the engine/trans is "cold" (hasen't been started in at least a few hours) and you first put the trans in drive it engages "hard". Just in drive, not reverse.

After driving for a few minutes the car can be parked and the shift lever can be moved in and out of drive with hardly any "jerk".

A common characteristic or is this a sign of something wrong?

The car is an '01 ES300.

:blink:

When the engine/trans is "cold" (hasen't been started in at least a few hours) and you first put the trans in drive it engages "hard".  Just in drive, not reverse.

After driving for a few minutes the car can be parked and the shift lever can be moved in and out of drive with hardly any "jerk".

The car is an '01 ES300.

How many miles on the ES? When was the last time a tranny flush was done & was it a 'drain & fill' or a 100% fluid change? B)

:cheers:

replacing the dog bone on my 94 ES cured the problem mostly and I suspect that if I change the front engine mount, it will get rid of it.

Sorry guys, but I guess I clueless on what a "dogbone" is.

The car has 65K miles and I'm planning on dropping the trans pan this weekend and doing an oil drain and filter change.

I'm leary about a trans flush.

<_<

replacing the dog bone on my 94 ES cured the problem mostly and I suspect that if I change the front engine mount, it will get rid of it.

The car has 65K miles and I'm planning on dropping the trans pan this weekend and doing an oil drain and filter change.

<_<

You won't hurt anything by doing a 100% fluid change. My suggestion if your taking out & cleaning the filter mesh screen is to also install a new tranny pan gasket at the same time as a preventitive measure. B)

<_<

You won't hurt anything by doing a 100% fluid change. My suggestion if your taking out & cleaning the filter mesh screen is to also install a new tranny pan gasket at the same time as a preventitive measure. B)

I guess I need to ask a question here: Is the filter a washable screen type unit or a replacable type I need to get from the Toyota shop.

If it's replacable does anyone know the Toyota part number for the filter and gasket?

:wacko:

hello,

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?F...23d8013e8d1.jsp

double click on fig 5

"VM" that is the part we call dogbond mount. if it's turn out bad then you have open only center bolts to replace.

request a good driver to turn the car on, push your emergancy brake on.

with regular brakes pushed, put in D then R and you watch that dogbone mount while engine moves front and back.

you will find out quick.

hope this help.

hello,

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?F...23d8013e8d1.jsp

double click on fig 5

"VM" that is the part we call dogbond mount. if it's turn out bad then you have open only center bolts to replace.

request a good driver to turn the car on, push your emergancy brake on.

with regular brakes pushed, put in D then R and you watch that dogbone mount while engine moves front and back.

you will find out quick.

hope this help.

Thanks --- I'll check this out !!!!!!!!!

When the engine/trans is "cold" (hasen't been started in at least a few hours) and you first put the trans in drive it engages "hard".  Just in drive, not reverse.

The car is an '01 ES300.

How many miles on the ES & what is the tranny service history that you know of?

The car is an '01 ES300.

About 65K miles. Not sure of the service history, but the fluid looks in great "shape" and the owners manual indicates regular Lexus service until about 50K miles.

As soon as the trans warms up the "jerking" goes away. I'm thinking a fluid change would help.

:rolleyes:

About 65K miles. Not sure of the service history, but the fluid looks in great "shape" and the owners manual indicates regular Lexus service until about 50K miles.

As soon as the trans warms up the "jerking" goes away. I'm thinking a fluid change would help.

:rolleyes:

Well it could only help the tranny, not hurt it. B)