Guages

HI I just bought a 1992 lexus SC400, but my gas guage and temperture guage does not light up. What can I do on my own? :(

This is a VERY common problem with the old lexus gauge clusters. Are the needles liting up correctly and FULLY? or "just" the yellow backlow on the numbers?

If it is the backlight, you can simply replace the bulbs. If it is the needles, you will need a custom rebuild. To replace your backlight, click the 4th link here: http://lextech.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=67

They are #24 from any auto parts store.  :cheers: However Sylvania is the only brand that fit's "perfectly".

The only thing you can do "yourself" would be to install new needles for the gas and temp gauges. They are around $90-$110 each from lexmods.com Thats if you go with oem parts. But I would advise if in fact it is your needles that are not lighting up sooner or later your speedometer and rpm needle will probably start to fail also. Then I would recommend Lextech.org you can save a lot of money instead of going to the dealer for all the parts. If you replace the all the needles with oem parts it will cost well over $700 w/ labor.

HI I just bought a 1992 lexus SC400, but my gas guage and temperture guage does not light up. What can I do on my own? :(

This is a VERY common problem with the old lexus gauge clusters. Are the needles liting up correctly and FULLY? or "just" the yellow backlow on the numbers?

The speedometer and Rpms work, but the gas and temp. guages are all out.nothing please help me. Thanks.

The speedometer and Rpms work, but the gas and temp. guages are all out.nothing please help me. Thanks.

Just go to lexmods.com and give them your vin. number and tell them you need those two gauges, the fuel and temp. I will probably be around $200.00 w/ shipping.

I sent my instrument cluster to lextech.org,they say they fix your cluster in 3-5 working days.They had my cluster 8 working days,a 15 day turnaround using express mail both ways.They will not provide a telephone no.# to contact them and they're short and curt answering e-mail questions.They didn't pack the cluster as well as I did when they sent it back and the speedometer needle was loose and sliding around inside when I got it back.I paid for return insurance which they kept the money and didn't insure it.I took the plastic face off and plugged the speedometer needle back in.If you can overlook the false advertising and the poor customer service the quality of their work was outstanding.The needles are a brilliant red and the cluster is better than new.The price is the very reasonable also.There it is.If I had to use them again would I? After seeing myinstrument cluster in the car I'd say yes.

I sent my instrument cluster to lextech.org,they say they fix your cluster in 3-5 working days.They had my cluster 8 working days,a 15 day turnaround using express mail both ways.They will not provide a telephone no.# to contact them and they're short and curt answering e-mail questions.They didn't pack the cluster as well as I did when they sent it back and the speedometer needle was loose and sliding around inside when I got it back.I paid for return insurance which they kept the money and didn't insure it.I took the plastic face off and plugged the speedometer needle back in.If you can overlook the false advertising and the poor customer service the quality of their work was outstanding.The needles are a brilliant red and the cluster is better than new.The price is the very reasonable also.There it is.If I had to use them again would I? After seeing myinstrument cluster in the car I'd say yes.

#1- http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159458

That's what the link says, 8 working days.

#2- Lextech doesn't keep spare boxes laying around to repack anything in. It leaves the way it comes. Literally. :) Lextech ALWAYS insures packages. These things aren't cheap to replace. Shipping knocked your needle off, you plugged it back in. No problem. Every seen what the carriers do to packages to get them from truck to truck? :blink:

I replaced my needles through audiogodz, who I found on e-bay. It costs $99 for them to replace with 1 of 8 colors and re-calibrate. You have to remove the cluster and package it. I think insurance through the post office was $16 total. I've had mine for about 2 years and I've had one problem with the connection on the gas gauge. You can also find complete clusters already rebuilt if you're lucky.