Door Falling Off/apart

RXIS

I have a problem with my door after having had my car repaired at a collision center.

The door is attached to the car by two hinges and a piece of metal.

The piece of metal is connected to the car by an inch long metal rod that keeps it together. When the door is opened, it produces a recoil like reaction that helps prevent the door from swinging too wide and too quickly. Without the parts, the door shuts without assistance upon opening.

If anyone is familiar with this issue will you please respond. I need to know what the part is called, how much I should expect to pay for it, and where I can order one. I also need to know if it is possible to perform a do-it-yourself home repair w/o any special tools; which I don't expect to be necessary. I'm familiar enough to know that my dealer will charge me heavily to repair it for me and I'm not particularly satisfied with my last repair experience with my ac adapter(cig lighter).

Also, the top hinge is loose. It looks like its held onto the door with an adhesive that was used on other areas of the car also. I'lll have to take another look at it and see if I can come up with more info.

Btw, I will be contacting the collision center soon, but I'd rather not deal with them because I wouldn't doubt that I'll get treated with the lost" attitude. The body shop was a very good shop until this past year. I think the owner is burned out or just buried in too much work as a result from producing awesome results in the past. I still went to the shop for repairs in good faith since they were very good in the past. I'm so naive. sigh

Bring it back to the body shop and at least give them a chance to fix their work.

Speak directly to the manager and be polite. Document everything. You may have to fall back on to your documentation in small claims court.

If the re-repair is not to your satisfaction, then tell the shop will you bring it to an second shop to have it fixed properly and then take the first shop to small claims court to reimburse you for the cost of having the second shop fix the first shop's unsatisfactory work.

If your insurance paid for any of this, keep them in the loop of the shops attitude and ability, especially if they are the ones that paid the shop.

steviej

It is a small bracket that sounds as though it needs to be tightened as it has tension built into it but is mislaigned and pulling.

usually a simple fix unless it is bent then the whole peice needs replacing.

It is only used to keep the door open and from swining all the way out.

It is a small bracket that sounds as though it needs to be tightened as it has tension built into it but is mislaigned and pulling.

usually a simple fix unless it is bent then the whole peice needs replacing.

It is only used to keep the door open and from swining all the way out.

Do you happen to know where I can purchase one of these parts online?

I think this is what you are looking for. There is a square cross section, black plastic bar between the hinges that detents, holds the door, partially open and then stops the door when it's fully open. One end of the bar goes into the door panel and the other end goes into a rubber grommet in the fender panel. If you look at the other front door you can see how it is located and how it works.

According to my parts diagram this is called

Check, door -- Left -- Part# 68610-53010

You may also need

Bracket, door check -- Left -- Part# 68618-20030

and

Pin, door check -- Left -- Part# 68617-20050

It appears this might not be a DIY job, as the door may have to be removed and disassembled to install.

An online search of used auto part places might turn one up. The original price of the pin was $73 and maybe $3 for the other parts.

dealer says parts will cost about $93 and the labor is about $130. They also told me that they would have to take the door apart so it seems like ure right on the money bartkat

freakin a :censored: :chairshot: :cries: