My 400h Is In

[quoquestion is: Can the tailgate travel be limited. I need only an inch or so. Mmmmmmm.

Have you tried backing in the Lexus RX so both cars have their driver doors on the center aisle. I find that with the power door in the rear of the garage away fromt he overhead door, opening the read door is no problem and I have more room for the drriver's door as well.

[quoquestion is: Can the tailgate travel be limited. I need only an inch or so. Mmmmmmm.

Have you tried backing in the Lexus RX so both cars have their driver doors on the center aisle.  I find that with the power door in the rear of the garage away fromt he overhead door, opening the read door is no problem and I have more room for the drriver's door as well.

I would probably be okay with that, especially since there are zero emissions entering the garage while moving the 400h slowly. However, this is not something my wife would do. As it is now, I set up one of those plastic ball/string aids, whereas when the ball contacts the windshield, she stops. She parks the RX near the Corvette, so anything I can do to make it easier for he to NOT bump into it is top priority!

• 11 months later...

Guys don't get so excited about this car- sorry-but I'm extremelly dissapointed so far(1month), reasons:

-Loud engine noise while accelerating fast(louder than my 2002 sporty BMW330)

-NO!!!!! info abour range on remaining fuel-not even info about range on reserve

-Louder than expected above 75mph

-Fuel economy- forget it- you can try driving this car assuming that you've dozen eggs on the roof and still won't get even close to EPA

-And of course no Dynamic Cruise Control Option

Other than that- nothing special- every luxury car seems to be on the same level with interior and exterior

Why did I Listen to my wife?????????

What happens if you try to dial the phone via the keypad?

If you dial through the phone keypad, the call goes through, you can hear the dialing sound through the car, the responding voice comes through the car, you can do the rest of the phone conversation through the car (hands-free, etc.) and you can disconnect by pushin the "phone-off" little button on the steering wheel (next to the "phone-on" button). In other words, you can dial any number through your phone. As long it is Bluetooth paired with your car, your car phone system takes over. Really great!

P.S. I have a Samsung i730 (Verizon).

Guys don't get so excited about this car- sorry-but I'm extremelly dissapointed so far(1month), reasons:

-NO!!!!! info abour range on remaining fuel-not even info about range on reserve

-Fuel economy- forget it- you can try driving this car assuming that you've dozen eggs on the roof and still won't get even close to EPA

You should get yours looked at. The RX400h I drove was very quiet at all points of speed and acceleration and had the absolute smoothest power delivery I have every experienced in ANY vehicle.

As for fuel economy, no car gets the EPA mileage.

-And of course no Dynamic Cruise Control Option

Other than that- nothing special- every luxury car seems to be on the same level with interior and exterior

Why did I Listen to my wife?????????

Im convinced the engine noise issue has more to do with the way the CVT works than actuall acousitcs. Because the CVT holds the enging at peak RPM it sounds kind droney and obnoxious rather than the rise and fall of the RPM as the auto trans shifts thru the gears of the 330 or other cars.

When I had the 330 loaner out I (don't tell my dealer) manually held the trany in each gear as I drove and when that engine revs up it is just as loud if not louder than the 400h. But when you let the auto move thru the gears, the engine hardly rises above 2500 rpm.

I discuss the range est display in another thread... it is really only a minor thing. If you really think they give to-the-mile accurasy then you should run the tank dry to prove it to yourself. I think you will find that your eyeballing the gas gauge works just as well.

Wind noise is a legitimate complaint. There are a couple of things that may help. 1) make sure the roof rack cross bars are both moved as far aft as possible when you are not using them (or remove them altogether). Since there has been a lot of noise reported to come from that. 2) Keep your door seals clean and conditioned with rubber protectant (armoral?). The doors do not press these down real tight, so if there is dust between them and car you may get extra noise coming thru.

The gas milage will improve when the engine rings seat and the compression comes up. Usually just after the first oil change. But don't expect drama. I'm getting 24mpg (winter) with no eggs any where near my pedals (if you know what I mean ;)

Here is a trick you can practice while you rack up the miles to your first oil change. After you have accelerated to cruise speed (acc as hard as you want), hold your foot completely off the acc pedal for a second or two, then slowly apply gas until you are holding your cruise speed. You should notice the electrics coming on line a great deal more often with this technique, thus increasing your mpg. Also try to anticipate when you need to brake before you actually need to and use the regenerative power to charge the batteries. Your mpg will get better, you will see.

The laser cruise control is definitely a mistep on the part of Lexus as is the variable height suspension. I would seriously consider trading in my '06 when/if they get this oversight fixed.

Love my 400h. Have logged 6000 miles. Drove back from D.C. to central N.C. today. There were numerous times when I accelerated from 65 mph to 85 mph in order to zip around a slow car in the middle lane. It's the fastest car I've had for accelerating in the 65 to 80 mph range. For the last 2000 miles it has averaged 24.3 mpg with most of the miles at 75 mph.