Demographic Question

pushatam

My wife [age 58 ] is the owner of the 2000 RX300.  I'm age 60 and my vehicle is an '01 Silverado.  Being an old hot rodder I probably have the philosophy that anything made after 1970 is junk, but the RX300 has been somewhat of an exception to my rule.  [ Even with some of the problems it's had ]  One of my earlier cars was a 1969 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that I bought new for LESS than the price of just a few of the the RX330 Option Packages.  [ Under $4000.00 ] That car today, in excellent condition, would probably bring in EXCESS of $50,000.00.  OK I'm through now!

Both myself & wife in mid forties. I agree with you Bowtie about cars built after 1970. However in starting in 1990 quality, especially with Japanese cars got much better. I figuired you may be a Chevy guy with a name like Bowtie. I've owned a 1969 Chevelle for over 25 years & numerous old muscle cars.

Yes CRUZNROADKING, I'm a retired [ sort of ] GM tech. The BOWTIE 3 refers to the Chevy emblem and I've always been a Dale Earnhardt fan and always will be. I've owned a few Fords, Mopars, VW's, etc. over the years but once you're a Chevy man it's hard to drive something else. What will probably coax me to buy another brand of truck is the decline of GM vehicles. The Tundra is interesting; it's almost a truck! The quality of Toyota and Honda far surpasses anything GM, Ford, or Chrysler puts out. Being a service tech my whole life, it's really difficult for me to bend over everytime I take my wife's RX300 in for dealer service. It still has another year of the Certified Warranty left so I take it in to the dealer for the oil/filter changes and any warranty problems. When I was at the dealer the other day a woman customer just couldn't understand why the labor for replacing a headlite bulb was $85.00 plus the cost of the bulb. It was 10 minutes from the time the customer gave the service-writer authorization for the bulb-replacement til she was told her RX300 was ready. What a screw-job! OK, I'm through!

Bowtie, I know what bowtie stands & it's good to see an Chevy guy on this forum. I was just a a Goodguys events 2 Sundays ago & had a blast. I rode there with my Harley group. I started watching Nascar & Indy races before it became as popular as it is today. I was also a tech for many years & although I don't do any work on my Lexus cars anymore I agree with you regarding being bent over. The dealer I bring my car to charge doesn't charge me for any labor to replace taillight bulbs & wiper inserts if I'm already in for service. My buddy drives a Tundra with close to 100k on it & it doesn't burn a drop of oil. On the other hand my other buddy drives a Chevy Z71 with 60k on it & the transmission had to be replaced already. Go figure.

• 1 year later...

I agree that age is less and less an issue. If you like the car who cares what other people think. If your buying it impress someone you are buying it for the wrong reason. At 16 for his first car my son had the pick of the litter from pick-ups to sports cars, and he choose an older used RX300 versus a newer non-lexus.

I guess this is as good a spot as any to jump in. I'm 44 wife is ummm,,,,younger and we have 2 kids. Bought a 99 RX300 for her after she recovered from a bad accident, it was the only vehicle she liked that provided the comfort and security she was looking for after the accident. Personaly I find the seats very uncomfortable no matter what possition I choose. I drive a 99 F150, call me a redneck. "You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill and I still wouldn't trade it for a coupe de ville"

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would give a response. It is interesting to me how many 20 somethings own RX 300s, and also how many compare this to the Acura TL. I am 28 my wife is 26 and we have a 2 YO daughter. I bought the RX mainly for my wife for safety and reliability, and I drive the a 99' Acura TL. The Acura TL was the best value car I could find, I love the luxury, and sportiness. The Lexus was the perfect size and a used 01' was basically the same price as a new Kia Sportage - hmm, tough decision. I guess it is not so much age or income as it is value.

Personaly I find the seats very uncomfortable no matter what possition I choose. I drive a 99 F150, call me a redneck.

Thats because your !Removed! is permanently disfigured from driving a Ford for so long :lol:

Just kidding there,

Really though a year and ahalf after my original posting on this thread I have to say I do notice a shift to younger RX drivers. Funny thing , our 14 year old swears he wants the RX when he starts driving, sounds to me like the perfect op. to have a midlife crisis and buy a 911 :D

I'm 26 my wife is 23. No kids and no plans for kids for a few more years. I drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited. However the wife needed to upgrade from the econo box sunfire so we went car shopping. We live on a lake so there is lots of hills and turns and we need a 4x4 or awd vehicle for the winter months here (Indiana). The wife didn't want anything bigger than the Jeep so we were limited as to what to get. I drove a Lexus RX300 (company car) when I worked for Target Chip Ganassi Racing and always liked driving it. The wife liked them when we went looking for her a car. We bought a used 1999 RX300 a couple of days ago for her. So she is the primary driver of it. BTW she is a school teacher and I'm a mechanic.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering what ages you guys/gals are in this forum who own and personally drive your rx300. I just feel like an outcast because i am a 21 year old male who drives an rx300...I feel that, typically, people of my age are in sports cars from honda civics to 3 series bimmers.

by the way, the other alternative to my rx300 was the 3.2 TL type-S...i loved the feel/comfort of the rx300 as soon as i sat in the seat compared to the TL.

I am 55 and was 49 when I bought my RX300. I was into sports cars for years and repaired, raced, and restored british sports cars. MG, Triumph, and Jaguar. moving into Honda's and finally the Lexus. Hope you have the two wheel version for your transmission sake. Good Luck

why did you say 2wheel version for your trannys sake, what is wrong with the AWD? need your opinin on this, wife is getting ready to commit to the rx330 AWD...

[why did you say 2wheel version for your trannys sake, what is wrong with the AWD? need your opinin on this, wife is getting ready to commit to the rx330 AWD...

For all the Noobs :D out there that are unaware, some RX 300s have tempermental transmissions (some don't for whatever reason) Primarily 1999 models w AWD but also some 00 models w/ AWD. Seems to be much less occurence of trouble with 2wd models but then again there are far fewer 2wd models out there. It seems to have been cured by 01-02 and doesnt seem to have been passed on to the 330/350 generation.

Hope that seems helpful :lol:

I'm 27 and male. I've noticed that here in South Orange County most of the drivers are 40-50 year old women. Predominantly asian women. It's not as noticeable with the '330s, but definantly for the '300s.

It's led to some funny situations and a lot of jokes from co workers when I used to drive it for my job as a plumber.

Great car though, it's been everything I hoped so far. Well worth the cost and the friends giving me a hard time.

I'm 27 and male. I've noticed that here in South Orange County most of the drivers are 40-50 year old women. Predominantly asian women. It's not as noticeable with the '330s, but definantly for the '300s.

It's led to some funny situations and a lot of jokes from co workers when I used to drive it for my job as a plumber.

Great car though, it's been everything I hoped so far. Well worth the cost and the friends giving me a hard time.

I've found the fact women love them to be a good thing. :) I've gotten more comments from women about this car in the two weeks I've owned it than in all the years I drove Lincolns. When my male friends rag on me I just ask them the last time an attractive female chatted them up about their Ford at the gas pumps. :D

I have an RX300 with only 55K miles on it. I've had it since day one when I was 17 years old in High School. I'm now 21 and i still like my car. Well, actually whenever i service my car at the dealership, they give me a loaner car like RX350 and man I love the new RX350.

20 now 19 when i got it... after i tossed away my football scolly i had to get my jollies some other way. so i bought myself a 2000 RX300 with 64k on it and love every second im in it. the soccer mom who owned it before me had a sweet flip down DVD player in it for her kids so thats just an extra toy i dont even use but its nice to have. i took it out hunting last weekend an splattered mud all over it! and the chicks dig the ride on campus! i might have to keep it forever just for the pure love of its style

I've found the fact women love them to be a good thing. :) I've gotten more comments from women about this car in the two weeks I've owned it than in all the years I drove Lincolns. When my male friends rag on me I just ask them the last time an attractive female chatted them up about their Ford at the gas pumps. :D

Yeah well, my wife likes it.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering what ages you guys/gals are in this forum who own and personally drive your rx300. I just feel like an outcast because i am a 21 year old male who drives an rx300...I feel that, typically, people of my age are in sports cars from honda civics to 3 series bimmers.

by the way, the other alternative to my rx300 was the 3.2 TL type-S...i loved the feel/comfort of the rx300 as soon as i sat in the seat compared to the TL.

I'm a 42 yo male. Bought my 2000 RX300 for my 40th Bday. I'm a 6'3" 225 lb. straight, single guy. It's a bit smallish for me but it's definitely comfortable. It's been jokingly referred to as a chick car but I'm keeping it for awhile anyway. A lot more comfortable than my '98 4Runner was.

Well, first off, this one's not "my" car as it actually is my mom's. Since she'll never do any work on it or get in a car forum I'll represent the true owner here.

I'm 18, 6'8 and personally wouldn't have an RX as a daily driver. Too small and the ride quality (for me) is not good enough. I'm a fullsize SUV sort of person, but I love the look and the handling of the RX330. Chick car? Yes, that's why my mom likes it so much. I guess that's all there is to it lol.

• 2 years later...

Im 25 and I got my 01' RX last year. I got it for several reasons, rather than getting a sporty car. Reasons are as follows

1. I have a problem with speeding, and speeding tickets. I figured an Suv would slow me down a bit. It has. But I've still gotten tickets.

2. I wanted something I could tow with to take my motorcycle with me on jobs, and haul mine and my brothers dirtbikes around South Jersey with. Rex(my RX) tows fine, and in style.

3. I travel long distances for my job, and wanted something comfortable. Rex's are great highway cars. They're so quiet, the seats are so comfortable, the stereo is kickass, etc...

4. Last, I wanted something I could get it on in. Rex is good for s*x. ha ha. except there's like a hump from where the trunk area transitions to the folded down seats. Thats not so good.

I've thought of putting some memory foam back there or something.

Anyhow, people are always bustin on me, callin Rex a soccer mom car, and asking if Ill pick up the kids from school. har har. so funny :/ but the fact is the RX300/330/whatever is a damn nice car and you should be proud to be 21 and rockin that *BLEEP*. Just do your Rex a favor and dont be putting no treehugger stickers on his bumper, or cheap !Removed! accessories from pepboys inside to make him cool. He's high class.