Great Car, Small Problem

Hi, I have a 96 GS 300. I have redone my stereo 3 times, i still have the stock amp running the cabin speakers and stock head unit. first i had 2 500 watt max 12's pushed by a 500 watt max amp. Then i had 2 1000 watt max 12's pushed by a 2000 watt amp, of course the amp never really got 2000 watts, the amp only had 2 30 watt fuses and its all physics from there. ANYWAY....my new system is a 2000 watt monoblock amp, and a 1400 watt daul voice coil 10" sub. the new amp is really a 2000 watt amp lol, 4 30 watt fuses. I know its a powerful amp because i blew the first 10 i put in there. Heres my problem, i have the sub wired with both voice coils hooked up, the amp is running at 2 ohms, rite now i have the gain on the amp set to about 35-40% to break in the sub. The problem is my lights blink when the bass is hittin hard. I know whats causing the problem and im pretty sure i only need an alternator to fix it. My question is where do i get one? how much should it cost? also, i have 2 80 amp fuses in the power line between the amp and battery, would i have to change those if i got a new alternator? please help, i searched the formus all last nite, and tonite, maybe i didnt search using the right words but i couldnt find the answers to my questions. i really wanna get this car running great, it only has 85000 miles on it and it is still in great shape, few dents and what not, but its 10 years old, what do u expect.

Also, i have the 2 1000 watt 12's and the 2000 watt amp, im tryin to sell them, $350, only because i would have to ship, if anyone in houston texas wants it, they can have it for 275 if they pick it up.

Yes, you need a bigger alternator. A cap is only a band-aid. <_< Expect to pay about $300 for a 160amp alt denso and about 5 to$600 for a 200amp denso both factory style, with ADJ. EXT REGULATORS, so you just swap them in. The wiring to the ALT will have to be changed a little. <_<

Mines 200amps and I custom built it. You can find them by searching for "denso 200amp alternator" or "Nippondenso 200amp alternator". This is a totally custom built setup, so you need to specify what you want so the alternator can be built to your specs. <_< Also be careful some people only tell you the cold rating to make their alternator look better. However, all alternators will lose 10 to 15% efficiency once the case gets hot. So make sure you ask for the hot rating.

Talk to Jose here Denso Alternator

JPI

If you want email me and I'll see if I can get some pricing together to build you an alternator that will bolt right in, externally Adj. regulator, overdrive pulley, EHD rectifier and only require you to plug in 2 wires to the harness. Plug and play.

Hey turbo, thanks for the info, i was gonna email you and see if you could do that for me, but for some reason it gives me an error. It says "Sorry, you are not permitted to send an email via this board." I'm still quite new to this board, maybe im not doing it rite. but if you dont want to post your email on the forums, heres mine.... abear2386@hotmail.com

I will probably try and get the JPI alt, but i want to see if you can price me lower, $519 is kinda outta my price range rite now.

Let me know.

I'm checking into in as we speak, I should know something by monday. The only problem is my local shop can't wind the stator or rotor up enough in that small an alternator case to give me the amperage I want. I have a few other ideas, so anyone who's interested email me. If I can get the stator and rotor worked out, it'll be the last alternator you'll ever buy and the best quality you'll find. B) jaeleb2001atyahoo.com

Your OEM alternator is 80amps, loses about 10 to 15% efficiency once the case is hot. So that leaves you with somewhere around 70amps. JcWhitney one is supposedly 120amps, yeah right, I'll believe that <_< So you have about 105amps once the case is hot. $150 for an extra 35 amps, if you even get that, is a waste of money and a ripoff. I bet the alternator doesn't last more than 6months. B) You have to remember, you get what you pay for. Amp ratings on alternator are like wattage ratings on amplifiers you really have to take into consideration who you're dealing with. NO matter who you buy from keep this in mind.

You would need a larger alternaotr but a good start is to get a yellow top battery for low resistance and change all the ground and power wire to the battery chasiss and engine which will help greatly.

My cap also helps greatly for peak bass notes which is also a good thing to have.

You would need a larger alternator but a good start is to get a yellow top battery for low resistance and change all the ground and power wire to the battery chasiss and engine which will help greatly.

My cap also helps greatly for peak bass notes which is also a good thing to have.

Good points Sk, If anyone else is interested email me as it might be cheaper with a few <_< more orders.

• 11 months later...