Ls 400

andy haw

There has been some debate on the UK Ls forums about transmission oil.

I only use Toyota T-1v Atf as I heard that using other makes can cause problems

and its not worth the hassle of future problems by trying to save a few pounds.

As a matter of interest what do you people use.

I expect we are paying double what you pay.

Factory specs. I think it's the Type IV??? I just know to use factory spec tranny oil only.

There are two camps of people on this forum:

One camp feels the Toyota engineers are the ultimately authority about what is the best fluid to use in Toyota transmissions. These owners use genuine Toyota transmission fluid, either Toyota Dexron III for transmissions that call for Dexron III or Type T-IV for transmissions that require Type T (as your LS400 does) http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typeTDexron.jpg

Another camp feels the employees of American oil companies know more than the Toyota engineers about what is the best fluid to use in Toyota transmissions. This camp feels Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF is superior to any genuine Toyota fluid.

That's a good question. I need to replace the ATF myself and I've been toying with trying out a Redline Oils ATF, but have been hesitant to do so because of how little I know about (and can find out about) the Toyota Type IV (which replaced the type II ATF recommended by the manual).

Specifically I've been curious about their Synthetic D4 ATF which supposedly meets the requirements included in the next Dextron IV standard. I've had excellent experience with their MTL fluid (for manual trans) in my other car and the cost is substantially less than the dealer MTX fluid ($8 per quart vs. $20).

I've been toying with trying out a Redline Oils ATF, but have been hesitant to do so because of how little I know about (and can find out about) the Toyota Type IV (which replaced the type II ATF recommended by the manual).

The Toyota Type IV fluid is "specially formulated by Toyota for Toyota vehicles" http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typeTDexron.jpg The Redline and Amsoil transmission fluids are not.

Also, you said "how little I know about (and can find out about) the Toyota Type IV". I think that shows just how powerful advertizing influences consumer choices. Redline and Amsoil have big advertizing budgets and that's why consumers are always wondering about them - wondering if they MIGHT be better than factory original (genuine Toyota) fluid. But Toyota hardly spends any money advertizing genuine Toyota oils and fluids so consumers don't wonder or hardly think about how good they might be.

Here's another example of how powerful advertizing influences consumer choices. In this case the advertizing get consumers wondering how restrictive the factory air intake and filter system MIGHT be:

As seen in the movie 2 Fast, 2 Furious: The Dragon Intake System by Weapon R

http://dragonintakes.com/main.html

Watch a short video of the Dragon Intake System in action. Hear it, feel it and see what everyone is talking about. http://dragonintakes.com/vids/dragonintake.avi

Monarch, I agree with you 100%.  :cheers:

Hi everyone,

I tried amsoil for the first time in my tranny and now have 132000+ miles since the switch. I am pleased with the results so far. When I bought the car at 115,575miles, I switched the tranny oil to amsoil because I was getting a little chatter noise from the gearbox when really cold. Amsoil has solved my problem. I also like the fact that you can leave it in up to 3 times longer than "standard" oil. Yes, I have over 250,000 miles on my Ls400 and going very strong. I estimate that I will probably get to at least 400,000 miles with this car. I still use 5w-30 in the engine year round,(amsoil) as I have read, some people switch to 10-30w as the motor wears. Hope this helps :cheers: Daffy ("cool" canadian)

There has been some debate on the UK Ls forums about transmission oil.

I only use Toyota T-1v Atf as I heard that using other makes can cause problems

and its not worth the hassle of future problems by trying to save a few pounds.

As a matter of interest what do you people use.

I expect we are paying double what you pay.

You can switch to Amsoil synthetic ATF which is compatable with Toyota type IV fluid. No problems reported that I am aware of with smoother shifting & longer drain intervals to boot! B)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

:cheers:

The Toyota Type IV fluid is "specially formulated by Toyota for Toyota vehicles" http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typeTDexron.jpg  The Redline and Amsoil transmission fluids are not.

Also, you said "how little I know about (and can find out about) the Toyota Type IV".  I think that shows just how powerful advertizing influences consumer choices. Redline and Amsoil have big advertizing budgets and that's why consumers are always wondering about them - wondering if they MIGHT be better than factory original (genuine Toyota) fluid.  But Toyota hardly spends any money advertizing genuine Toyota oils and fluids so consumers don't wonder or hardly think about how good they might be.

Here's another example of how powerful advertizing influences consumer choices. In this case the advertizing get consumers wondering how restrictive the factory air intake and filter system MIGHT be:

As seen in the movie 2 Fast, 2 Furious: The Dragon Intake System by Weapon R

http://dragonintakes.com/main.html

Watch a short video of the Dragon Intake System in action. Hear it, feel it and see what everyone is talking about.  http://dragonintakes.com/vids/dragonintake.avi

True to an extent, Monarch, but be careful with your insinuation that Redline Oils can not outperform a dealer spec fluid. My experience with Redline was/is at the track, used in autox and street-legal road races. Advertising has done little to influence me in this regard.

I wasn't sure what you were talking about with the Weapon R intake. The vid didn't really show much except for an intake and someone revving the engine. Let me know what I missed - I know you mentioned it for a reason.

I think the important thing to consider is that dealer fluids/parts, while OEM, aren't always the best pick. There are plenty of times that I'm going to favor OEM items over aftermarket, but given enough research and experience it's not hard to find areas where things can be improved. What auto manufacturer has the time to devote to developing the ideal friction modifier to be used in conjunction with a wide array of operating temps? They wouldn't be making cars in that case - they would be making transmission oils.

Everything can be improved upon. Buying an aftermarket replacement doesn't necessarily guarantee this, though.

Econ, the Weapon R Intake Video shows a picture of the large Dragon Intake

opening and air filter which subliminally suggests to the general public

that the stock intake opening and filter is more restrictive and hinders engine

performance. So without even showing the public actual test data demonstrating the

Toyota stock intake hinders engine performance, the Weapon R executives

can effectively convince alot people to buy the Weapon R intake. And since

the possible engine reliability and durability consequences of using a Dragon Intake

and filter are not likely going to be immediately apparent, thousands of Dragon Intake

buyers will say "I havn't had any motor problems since I installed it."

Same deal with specialty synthetic transmission fluids.

All the fluid makers have to do get the public to buy synthetic Amsoil, Redline

or Mobil 1 transmission fluid is to make statements and claims

which subliminally suggest to the general public that the factory original

transmission fluid delivers an inferior level of transmission reliability

and durabiliy. Examples: the label on Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF says it

"outperform conventional ATF fluids", "provide better resistance to oil

breakdown and deposits under severe duty and high temperatures."

So without even showing the public actual data demonstrating the

factory original transmission fluid delivers an inferior level of transmission

reliability and durabiliy, Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 advertizing

effectively convinces alot people to abandon using the factory original

genuine Toyota transmission fluid. And since the possible transmission

reliability and durability consequences of using Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1

are not likely going to be immediately apparent, thousands of

buyers will say "I havn't had any transmission problems since I

installed it."

You said: "What auto manufacturer has the time to devote to

developing the ideal friction modifier to be used in conjunction

with a wide array of operating temps?"

Well the label on Toyota Type T-IV fluid says it:

- was designed by Toyota R&D specifically for Toyota automatic

transmssions

- precise friction coefficient helps prevent transmission shudder

- special additives protect against corrosion and excessive wear

- chemically balanced to be compatible with rubber seals and metal

finishes inside your Toyota transmission.

Econ, the Weapon R Intake Video shows a picture of the large Dragon Intake

opening and air filter which subliminally suggests to the general public

that the stock intake opening and filter is more restrictive and hinders engine

performance.  So without even showing the public actual test data demonstrating the

Toyota stock intake hinders engine performance, the Weapon R executives

can effectively convince alot people to buy the Weapon R intake.  And since

the possible engine reliability and durability consequences of using a Dragon Intake

and filter are not likely going to be immediately apparent, thousands of Dragon Intake

buyers will say "I havn't had any motor problems since I installed it."

Same deal with specialty synthetic transmission fluids.

All the fluid makers have to do get the public to buy synthetic Amsoil, Redline

or Mobil 1 transmission fluid is to make statements and claims

which subliminally suggest to the general public that the factory original

transmission fluid delivers an inferior level of transmission reliability

and durabiliy.  Examples: the label on Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF says it

"outperform conventional ATF fluids", "provide better resistance to oil

breakdown and deposits under severe duty and high temperatures."

So without even showing the public actual data demonstrating the

factory original transmission fluid delivers an inferior level of transmission

reliability and durabiliy, Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 advertizing

effectively convinces alot people to abandon using the factory original

genuine Toyota transmission fluid.  And since the possible transmission

reliability and durability consequences of using Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1

are not likely going to be immediately apparent, thousands of

buyers will say "I havn't had any transmission problems since I

installed it."

You said: "What auto manufacturer has the time to devote to

developing the ideal friction modifier to be used in conjunction

with a wide array of operating temps?"

Well the label on Toyota Type T-IV fluid says it:

- was designed by Toyota R&D specifically for Toyota automatic

transmssions

- precise friction coefficient helps prevent transmission shudder

- special additives protect against corrosion and excessive wear

- chemically balanced to be compatible with rubber seals and metal

finishes inside your Toyota transmission.

if i get you correctly you are basicvally stating "why spend the extra money when the dealer spec fluid is more than sufficient"

am i right?

our points are simply this: toyota fluid is not the BEST you can do. it i adequate, and probably way more than adequate...but if you drive like me, you need something that is a lot more than "way more than adequate" I need the best.

To the guys using the Amsoil in the tranny: Are you also using it as power steering fluid?

Hi flash213,

Yes, I use the same oil in my power steering. I changed it at the same time as the tranny. I rebuilt my pump at the time, new seals and front bearing. I am over 250,000 miles on the original pump. About 132,000 miles since the rebuild. So the gears in the pump are original as well as the rear bearing. No noise, no whine. I think too many owners are replacing when they only need rebuilding. I think what happens to the pump, is that it is so close to the engine, the heat from the engine bakes the seals and then it begins to leak onto the alternator (which happened to me). I am hoping amsoil will help here. I read that synthetics tranfers heat better than ordinary oil. The car was 8 years old when the power steering started to leak. It is now another 7 years since the rebuild and now I am keeping a close eye on the pump. So far absolutely dry. :) Daffy

I rebuilt my pump at the time, new seals and front bearing. I am over 250,000 miles on the original pump. About 132,000 miles since the rebuild. So the gears in the pump are original as well as the rear bearing. No noise, no whine. I think too many owners are replacing when they only need rebuilding. I think what happens to the pump, is that it is so close to the engine, the heat from the engine bakes the seals and then it begins to leak onto the alternator (which happened to me).

Daffy, do you happen to remember where you purchased the front bearing of the PS pump? This is a job I need to do soon and I'm not sure where to purchase the front bearing. Thanks.

I Dont blame Americans for not trusting OEM type fluid, especially if they previously owned a ford before. Because that’s how I was when I first got my Lexus, until everyone told me about their great experience with Toyota fluids. Ford's spec oil, and filters are made my motorcraft (fords part supplier) from wires, to spark plugs, to PCV valves. (Lexus uses Denso btw), which is right there among the wal-mart priced items. So back then, I really lost faith in ANY ford/Motorcraft part, it was always an easy choice if reputable company made the same part.

I rebuilt my pump at the time, new seals and front bearing. I am over 250,000 miles on the original pump. About 132,000 miles since the rebuild. So the gears in the pump are original as well as the rear bearing. No noise, no whine. I think too many owners are replacing when they only need rebuilding. I think what happens to the pump, is that it is so close to the engine, the heat from the engine bakes the seals and then it begins to leak onto the alternator (which happened to me).

Daffy, do you happen to remember where you purchased the front bearing of the PS pump? This is a job I need to do soon and I'm not sure where to purchase the front bearing. Thanks.

Hi monarch,

I bought my bearing from Lexus, but if you can take the old bearing out, you can probably match it up at a bearing place and get it cheaper. It's a sealed ball bearing and I am pretty sure it's standard. That's what I should have done myself.

I know the bearing and seals for the power steering pump cost me close to $100. cdn (probably about $65.00 US) at Lexus. I found the pump easy to work on once you get it out. Daffy

Another camp feels the employees of American oil companies know more than the Toyota engineers about what is the best fluid to use in Toyota transmissions.  This camp feels Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF is superior to any genuine Toyota fluid.

Actually......it is! :whistles: :D ;)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

:cheers: