Help With Self-diagnostic

caglo

I was driving along and the notorious check engine/trac light came on. I searched the forum, but I still don't really know how to do a self diagnostic check. If anyone could help, that'd be wonderful. The car is running perfectly normal, or so it seems. I drive it moderately hard, add on to that I think I put lower grade fuel in last fillup (a sin, I know). Fluids are good. So yeah, any help would be great...thanks.

I was driving along and the notorious check engine/trac light came on.  I searched the forum, but I still don't really know how to do a self diagnostic check.  If anyone could help, that'd be wonderful.  The car is running perfectly normal, or so it seems.  I drive it moderately hard, add on to that I think I put lower grade fuel in last fillup (a sin, I know).  Fluids are good.  So yeah, any help would be great...thanks.

I was driving along and the notorious check engine/trac light came on.  I searched the forum, but I still don't really know how to do a self diagnostic check.  If anyone could help, that'd be wonderful.  The car is running perfectly normal, or so it seems.  I drive it moderately hard, add on to that I think I put lower grade fuel in last fillup (a sin, I know).  Fluids are good.  So yeah, any help would be great...thanks.

You should get an OBDII code reader. They are under $100 for the real cheapies but they are still a handy device. It is possible the lower grade of gas caused the MALF light to set, if that's the case it will reset itself. I run 89 octane in my 99 SC400 but don't get on it hard. For mountain driving/hard accel go to the 92. :D