Minor Problem

denslexusgx470

here's my situation. i've got an old computer that doesn't have a cd burner but has all my photos from previous years that were from a digital camera. now i want to get rid of my old computer, but how do i transfer the photos from the old pc to my new one??? I've tried using the floppy disk but seems the floppy disk writer of the old one is messed up. it's got no internet connection becuz my cable guy told me that it's not compatable to the high-speed cable internet so i can't email the pictures out. what do i do????? :cries:

Does it have a USB port? If so, a jump drive or something like that would work. I have a Seagate 5gb pocket hd that I carry in my pocket that is awesome!  B)

oh, so your saying get those little memory USB drive thingy to transfer the photos out? yes it has a USB port, but i'm not definitely sure if it'll work. i'll try this for now. thanks.

if anyone still has suggestions, i'm still open to them.

Denny

oh, so your saying get those little memory USB drive thingy to transfer the photos out? yes it has a USB port, but i'm not definitely sure if it'll work. i'll try this for now. thanks.

if anyone still has suggestions, i'm still open to them.

Denny

Yep, I do it all the time, but mine holds 5gb which is a lot of pics. It's really great because I can get pics off of my Mac and put them on my laptop(dell). It'd definantly work if you have a functional USB--all these little USB drives do is act like high speed, digital floppy disks!

You could also get an external hard drive pretty cheap. In fact I just bought a Western Digital 120Gig external HD from CompUSA.com for $99.95 after $55.00 rebates. This deal is over, but they're always coming up with good deals.

I bought it essentially to backup all my 1000's of photo's, plus other stuff.......and it didn't even make a dent in the space used on this drive. ;)

You could also get an external hard drive pretty cheap. In fact I just bought a Western Digital 120Gig external HD from CompUSA.com for $99.95 after $55.00 rebates. This deal is over, but they're always coming up with good deals.

I bought it essentially to backup all my 1000's of photo's, plus other stuff.......and it didn't even make a dent in the space used on this drive.  ;)

that sounds like a good idea but I don't feel like getting that drive installed inside a computer i'm getting rid of. besides, aren't the external hard drives (if there is such thing, i don't know) it might cost me a lot. when i find time, i'll go for the first idea. if it's a failure, then i'll go with the second idea.

But thanks again and am still open to other ideas.

Denny

You could also get an external hard drive pretty cheap. In fact I just bought a Western Digital 120Gig external HD from CompUSA.com for $99.95 after $55.00 rebates.

Geez! That's a great deal. This little Seagate costed an arm and leg(as far as portable storage goes) that for a small fraction of what you have. :blink: But, I bet you can't do this!! :chairshot: :lol:

gallery_1461_84_1112832471.jpg

1. If you have an ethernet port on both of the computers, you can network the two by using an ethernet cable and transfer the data from one to the other. But I doubt it that you have an ethernet card on your old computer.

Ethernet port looks like a phone jack except a little bigger.

2. Installing the external hard drive!?

Your simply going to hook it up to the USB port and probably just install the driver that comes with it (a cd). Then you can just copy and past or drag and drop the items into the new drive (that'll be shown in 'my computer').

Usually there are great deals on internal hard drives and kits that make them externalLike this one for example, mostly because of rebates the package becomes cheaper than external ones.

So, you after you are finished you can just install the internal drive into the new computer and have two hard drives and when needed, just take it out and put it into the enclosure.

Or you can just buy the enclosure and put the hard drive from your old computer into it and hooked it up (USB) to the new computer and transfer all the data that you want from it into the new computer.

3. Just buy this and transfer data couple of times. Pictures are usually 3MB or less, so lets say if they are 3MB each, 256 MB stick will hold 85, and you just transfer those 85 over and delete them from the stick and transfer another 85 over again.