Quiet Car

HAs anybody ever tried this quiet car stuff www.quietcar.net ?

If so, any feedback as to how good it works?

The car is so quiet as it is but there is a fair amount of tire roar because of the 17" tires. The idea of this car being quieter is scary but interesting.. :)

thanks

Sounds like a scam to me! :whistles: :chairshot: :rolleyes: As you said, Lexus vehicles are so quiet to begin with & they use extensive sound deadening materials as it is........a product out of a bottle or jug will do nothing for this type of car, except drain our wallets. Don't even bother. B)

:cheers:

The car is so quiet as it is but there is a fair amount of tire roar because of the 17" tires.  The idea of this car being quieter is scary but interesting.. :)

thanks

If your car has the mark levinson sound system then you have an answer to your tire roar problem. Just turn the volume up higher and enjoy the great sounds of your favorite music. Which will be louder than the tire roar.

The car is so quiet as it is but there is a fair amount of tire roar because of the 17" tires.   The idea of this car being quieter is scary but interesting.. :)

thanks

If your car has the mark levinson sound system then you have an answer to your tire roar problem. Just turn the volume up higher and enjoy the great sounds of your favorite music. Which will be louder than the tire roar.

Nah, all you need to do is get a good set of premium all season tires for that problem. ;) B)

Are the bridgestones really that bad?

Will it make a noticeable difference in sound/performance?

Yes they are that bad & yes a different & much better tire makes worlds of difference not only in ride quality & quietness, but safety & confidence in driving the car. B) It will feel like you just replaced the entire suspension system. ;)

The Quietcar viscoelastic coating sounds like a good product. However, there must be some drawbacks associated with its use or else car makers would use it or something similar. One drawback might be durability. Like what happens to it as time passes? Does it dry out and disintegrate like some aerosol foam products?

Automakers use durable sound deadeners like asphalt sheets http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cressida.jpg in floor and trunk areas, door panels are made of soundboard, compressed fiberglass is used in the headliner and under the hood and vinyl-rubber sheets bonded to a layer or jute padding are used on the interior firewall and sometimes in the cargo area of Vans and SUV's.

A cheap way to quiet the interior of a Lexus is to go to a self service automotive wrecking yard and pull some of the sound deadening materials out of wrecked cars and reinstall them on your Lexus. I especially like the thick asphalt sheets found in the trunk and floors of Toyota Cressidas http://www.saber.net/~monarch/cressida.jpg and the vinyl-rubber sheets bonded to a layer or jute padding that can be found under the rear floor of late 1980's Mazda MPV minivans and Toyota Previas. The asphalt impregnated jute padding found under the carpeting of Dodge Caravans is also pretty good. For inside the doors I like to glue large pieces of 1/2 inch thick fiberglass sheets taken out of the headliner of Ford Aerostar vans.

Actually Lexus vehicles have relatively little sound deadening equipment compared with other luxury cars, thats why tires are so important. They achieve quiet by STOPPING noises instead of hiding them.

If you want it quieter I would pay a stereo shop to dynamat the whole interior.

Sounds like a scam to me!  :whistles:  :chairshot:  :rolleyes:  As you said, Lexus vehicles are so quiet to begin with & they use extensive sound deadening materials as it is........a product out of a bottle or jug will do nothing for this type of car, except drain our wallets.  Don't even bother.  B)

have you removed every panel and all the carpeting? theres less sound deadening material than you think. but anyway, this stuff just looks like cheap dynamat to me :shrugs:

I'm happy with the sound level of the car, but I might dynamat the thing to get some better sound quality and possibly lower road noise a bit. I get the stuff for cost so it'll cost me a fraction of retail, cuz dynamat is retardedly marked up.

Just for curiosity, i'm gonna buy a small spray can of the quiet car stuff and find out if its a scam or not (itll cost me like 20 bucks, worth a shot)

I shall let you all know how it works (or doesnt)

Sounds like a scam to me! :whistles: :chairshot:   :rolleyes:   As you said, Lexus vehicles are so quiet to begin with & they use extensive sound deadening materials as it is........a product out of a bottle or jug will do nothing for this type of car, except drain our wallets.  Don't even bother.   B)

have you removed every panel and all the carpeting? theres less sound deadening material than you think. but anyway, this stuff just looks like cheap dynamat to me :shrugs:

Intresting, in the "Lexus Story" book, they mention how they acheive such a quiet cabin & do mention 'extensive' use of sound deadening materials. :whistles:

Imran, if your worried about rust down the road, let me know......I know one of the best guy's in the industry that does fantastic rust-proofing & undercoating......celeberties go to this guy he's so good! & he's located in Mississauga. B) ;)