New Key & New Computer -- Help!

:( I recently purchased a used 1999 ES300. My wife and I were out to dinner and I gave her my keys to put in her purse for safe keeping. But not so safe!! Her bag was stolen along with both Master Keys. At least we still have the sub (valet) key.

Without the Master Key, the dealer is telling us we have to spend $1,000+ and repalce the computer if we ever want a master key again. And if something ever happens to the valet key, we are really doomed! :(

Does anyone have any suggestions, guidance, assitance...

We really don't want to spend more than $1,000. Any way around this? Anywhere to get the new computer other than the dealer?

Please HELP!!

i seen on ebay something about your year car and the master keys.theres a guy on there that gets you the master key and reprograms the computer for like 250 dollars.i will see if i can find a link for you.

:) Thanks so much bbsal.

After your info about ebay, I started looking around. I found the guy who I think you are talking about. He could reprogram the computer for $200 as well as provide brand new working Master keys.

I also found a company in Lancaster, PA. They will perform the same service and guarantee that the process will work and will not affect the performance of any of the other computer functions. They will also provide new Master keys. They charge $500.

In either case, despite what my Lexus dealer told me (and what other Lexus dealers are apparently telling other people), your Lexus computer can indeed be reprogrammed and at a somewhat reasoable cost (at least a lot more reasonable than spending thousands of dollars to replace the computer).

I am beginning to wonder whether my dealer was simply going to send out the computer to be reprogrammed and then charge me a lot more for the service. If a couple people are advertising this service on the internet, I am sure there are plenty more that are doing it.

Thanks again bbsal. You saved my wife and I a lot of money.

:cheers:

i also bought a remote from ebay and reprogramed it for my car and only paid 35 bucks and when i was searching for one thats were i remembered about your year car.anyway i saved like 100 dollars because the dealer would of charged me like 150 to get a new remote.ebay is cool sometimes for that stuff.hope it works out for you anyway.

• 3 years later...

I have the exact same issue with a 99 ES.

What did you search for on Ebay - Google for key words? Lexus dealers in Boston area all came up between $650 - 800. And the car is NOT drivable for over a week, because they DO remove the computer, send it out, have it reset and then have it sent back. 7 days minimum I was told by 3 different dealers.

Any info you found would be awesome! Thanks!

Holy ancient threads batman!

These threads are so old, many of the people you're asking questions to are no longer around. This particular thread is 3 years old.

Yeah. I think I heard that bbsal is currently in a nursing home in Baltimore :P (j/k)

:( I recently purchased a used 1999 ES300. My wife and I were out to dinner and I gave her my keys to put in her purse for safe keeping. But not so safe!! Her bag was stolen along with both Master Keys. At least we still have the sub (valet) key.

Without the Master Key, the dealer is telling us we have to spend $1,000+ and repalce the computer if we ever want a master key again. And if something ever happens to the valet key, we are really doomed! :(

Does anyone have any suggestions, guidance, assitance...

We really don't want to spend more than $1,000. Any way around this? Anywhere to get the new computer other than the dealer?

Please HELP!!

I have the same problem, lost the Master Key. In San Diego Lexus Dealer want $600.00 include computer replacement but in Texas it's cheaper because they refresh the computer to make the new master key work. Here are two website to check out before buying at ebay. I have a 2000 ES300. let me know which direction your taking and result. If you are from Texas call customer service. Click here Sewell Lexus and if you are from California Click here Street Keys

There is no sending a computer back to Lexus and getting reset.If you have it done at a Dealership they should get you a reman computer from Lexus.The people that "reflash" or "reset" the computer are doing something to the ECM that Lexus does NOT recommend doing because of possible damage to the ECM.Good luck and remember cheaper is not always better.

Lexus has a one time free ECU replacement program for those that have lost their master keys. I used it not long ago and the only expenses I was responsible for was the purchase of new master keys ($60/each) and the labor to install/program the new ECU unit (~$90). Make sure you contact Lexus Corporate, not the dealership...good luck.

There is no sending a computer back to Lexus and getting reset.If you have it done at a Dealership they should get you a reman computer from Lexus.The people that "reflash" or "reset" the computer are doing something to the ECM that Lexus does NOT recommend doing because of possible damage to the ECM.Good luck and remember cheaper is not always better.

Here is a link that has a lot of information of different way of replacing the master key Click here Lost key