Pump Issues

I have heard reports of remanufactured power steering pumps not working at all. Disconnect your high pressure line at the rack and see if you have fluid if you are up for making a mess. Otherwise, I'd say your pump is crap. I just replaced mine with a reman pump also, it works, but wines just as bad as the old one.

Can you tell if the pump is bad by taking the pressure hose to the reservoir off and see if it is gushing fluid? I tried to clean the screen on the steering rack but could not find it, the picture I saw on other threads shows it being under the solenoid, but took off the nut and found only a greased up spring. can someone point me in the right direction, I have about had it with this car.

thanks in advance

sounds like you need a new pump. no power. I replaced mine with a reman pump and the system works fine. same noisy as before. but fine. I have no other advice other than take it to a mechanic. You aren't going to be able really tell anything by taking the hose from the rez. the rez will drain on you and I'm not sure what the return rate is on it. I don't know of a spring in the rack either. Or a any soelenoid on the 95. But you are sc400, mine is 300. Might be different...

I recommend the factory service manuals. I'll look in mine if I find some time. I can't promise anything though. You got no flow. If the pump was working and a high pressure block was going on, you would hear it and the engine would load down, but the wheels will turn or the pulley will stop and burn the accessory belt in two.

I had the same problem when I replaced it with a rebuilt pump. After spending hours and hours at the mechanic shop, it didn't work, even with bleeding in.

Then I requested the rebuilder to send another one.

The replacement unit worked fine even without bleeding in.

So I am happy now, but I will be ordering one from the shop.

All this trouble did not save me a penny!

Replaced the power steering pump and now I have no power. Bled the system and still nothing. I am going to replace the belt tensioner next but if this fails what else can I do???

PLEASE HELP!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the update

Cleaned the 2 screens(for those of you who need help on cleaning the screens let me know and I will take you through step by step)bled system and still nothing, replaced the pump reinstalled bled system and you guessed it :censored: no power. Could it be the rack causing me to age so quickly??? My mechanic and I do not know what else to do but change the rack.

ok scratch the last post

I have been bleeding the system for the last 2 hours

and I finally think I am geting somewhere, I have power steering but it is not what it should be.

When I turn the steering wheel the power only works when it has a loud grinding noise and it is also a little late, meaning I will turn and have to wait for the noise then it will work also the fluid will come out the reservoir with the cap on.

Does this mean there is still air in the pump and has anybody ever had to bleed the lines for so long, maybe I am not doing this right. I turn the wheel to lock hold for 2-3 seconds then back to lock hold 2-3 is this correct, do I hold the wheel in lock real hard or just with a little pressure. please help!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is the update

Cleaned the 2 screens(for those of you who need help  on cleaning the screens let me know and I will take you through step by step)bled system and still nothing, replaced the pump reinstalled bled system and you guessed it :censored:  no power. Could it be the rack causing me to age so quickly??? My mechanic and I do not know what else to do but change the rack.

Would like to know where the screens are. Email teelias@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
when I got mine replaced and had the similar problem, I had to change hose which was worn and torn (leaking) to stop the noise. Check out your hose as well.

was it the high pressure hose that you replaced ?

did you have to bleed the system after replacing the hose(s)?

did you have to remove the rack and clean the screen near the solenoid ?