Ls400 Addict Needs Therapy...

Gumart1

SW Don't laugh - I should know the difference between a Lex and a potato chip.

What's better than 2 beautiful Lexus cars, three! And all in the past 2 months! I hope I don't burn out too fast, but I have been so happy with my '98LS400, and my '93ES300, and I love the forum so much, that I just purchased a Pearl White '92LS with 153k miles. Although my '98 clearly has the edge, I'm really appreciating the history and development of the LS as I compare them side by side.

I took a risk with the purchase of this '92, because it needs a LOT of work, but I paid only $2400, and I had Lexus inspect the car and confirm that the engine and transmission were near perfect, also the timing belt, water pump and pulleys were replaced at 120k miles by Lexus. And the body is in really nice shape with no rust or major dings or scratches (typical bumper paint peel). This forum provides really nice tutorials on the early LS, and I want to do my best to perform some of the work myself. Before I start, if I feel I've gotten in over my head, I may just sell it and move on. But the way I look at it, if I spend $3k on the car which could be done easily, I will know what has been replaced and there won't be any surprises, I'll have a very nice reliable LS for $5400.

My wife took it out for a drive and says she'll never go back to her economy cars she used to drive. What have I done? I will post some pics later but I just wanted to share my excitement.

What have you done?

Well, you starting to spoil her thats what. Soon you will be in the 300 and she will be sporting the 98 LS400 and looking like a million bucks. That's what you done....:lol:

I know you got to love that 98 LS -- for me, it gets no better than that.

It was in service and the dealer gave me an ES300 first, then a 330 -- I tell you, I could hardly wait to get my LS400 back, it was just not the same. No offence, but I would rather drive a 1990 LS400 any day as opposed to a 2005 ES330 with all the gadgets.

Still, you got a good deal it seems. I wish you much success with them and long life to all of yous:)

It was in service and the dealer gave me an ES300 first, then a 330 -- I tell you, I could hardly wait to get my LS400 back, it was just not the same. No offence, but I would rather drive a 1990 LS400 any day as opposed to a 2005 ES330 with all the gadgets.

Not me ;)

Don't get me wrong, the LS is a wonderful car and its what drew me to Lexus, but IMHO the driving experience isn't THAT much different between the LS and the current ES. I've been driving a lot of them because I'm going to upgrade here in a year or so and when I drive the LS its a reaction like "Wow, this is such an amazing car why would anyone want to drive something else, where do I sign?" but then I get back in my ES and its like "Wow, for $30,000 less this thing is still pretty close, I can wait..." If I had the decision I made to make again new ES vs 3 year old LS I'd have made the same decision.

The moral of the story is Lexus just makes a great car, all the model lines are great bargains for the buck.

SW Don't laugh - I should know the difference between a Lex and a potato chip.

What's better than 2 beautiful Lexus cars, three! And all in the past 2 months! I hope I don't burn out too fast, but I have been so happy with my '98LS400, and my '93ES300, and I love the forum so much, that I just purchased a Pearl White '92LS with 153k miles. Although my '98 clearly has the edge, I'm really appreciating the history and development of the LS as I compare them side by side.....

like you, I also have 3 lex (97LS+96SC+98ES and one wreck 94LS a year ago), and I'm thinking about buying a GS....you are right! once hooked, just can't stop it! ;)

We're gonna need a "Lexus addicts anonymous"!

Would that be LAA? So when we fall off the wagon, we go to LAA LAA land? I think my best approach is to stop before I buy my first Lexus. Ohh the temptation.

A few years ago I was in the BAA (Benz AA) and had 3 Benzes. My car-nut bud had 7 Volvos (An Amazon, a few P1800s and one P1800 ES for you Volvo nerds).

Congrats on your 3rd charge.

I have an exhaustive list kindly provided by my local Lexus 150point Inspection. I do feel that some of the items are probably exaggerated needs by a Dealer hoping I would throw money at them. From my visit I got the sense that I could bring in a near perfect car and they would still find a list of things to do.

From my description below, you may be thinking, "Does it even run?", or "What a piece of %$^$", but amazingly, it rides beautifully, and I can't see tackling this list all at once.

The #1 biggest item on the list is that I'm told I need a new PS Pump, Rack, and all PS Lines. Found a pump for $140 and a rack for $250 on E-Bay, not sure if I can trust. I know I have a severe leak, I can actually see clear fluid puddling under the car after driving. I've found some great prices on parts from aftermarket dealers. Most are legitimate dealers and they do warranty the parts, I just can't spend the Dealer prices and get all OEM for this car, but I am open to opinions. They also recommended a new alternator because the old is oil soaked. Found a remanufactured one for about $130. Sure enough as I took the car out the other day the display went dim and out and the car died. I think the alternator is going fast. #2 problem is a lot of display lights coming on - check engine, trac control off, coolant, brake, etc - I wonder if the failing alternator is causing the mess. they got a code 25 and recommended replacing both main o2 sensors. I plan to use the universal type and splice the wiring harness for a cost of about $35each from Autozone. #3 there is some oil leaking at the transmission pan and engine oil pan. #4 slow coolant leak, recommended resealing thermastat housing and replace heater valve. #5 Struts, upper control arms, rear knuckle bushings. #6 very small items like hood shocks (will adapt Autozone part), gas door solenoid, power antenna, and LCD heating display out, front driver's speakers (top and bottom) not working. Honestly what I paid for the car is insignificant compared to the repairs I am looking at. But again, timing belt/water pump/pulleys done, love the color, ball joints replaced, paint and body good, tires and brakes good, engine and trans. perfect. I want to get my hands dirty, looks like they'll be very dirty, but compare this to the prices of any new car and most used cars and we all understand why we do this in the first place. Plus, I'd hate to see a good Lex meet its demise. It amazes me, this is an LS that saw very little upkeep and yet even after my description, if you drove it, it is still tight and rides beautifully, better than most new cars. I know it will last a long time, but I still wonder if I should take on the work???

I have an exhaustive list kindly provided by my local Lexus 150point Inspection. I do feel that some of the items are probably exaggerated needs by a Dealer hoping I would throw money at them. From my visit I got the sense that I could bring in a near perfect car and they would still find a list of things to do.

From my description below, you may be thinking, "Does it even run?", or "What a piece of %$^$", but amazingly, it rides beautifully, and I can't see tackling this list all at once.

The #1 biggest item on the list is that I'm told I need a new PS Pump, Rack, and all PS Lines. Found a pump for $140 and a rack for $250 on E-Bay, not sure if I can trust. I know I have a severe leak, I can actually see clear fluid puddling under the car after driving. I've found some great prices on parts from aftermarket dealers. Most are legitimate dealers and they do warranty the parts, I just can't spend the Dealer prices and get all OEM for this car, but I am open to opinions. They also recommended a new alternator because the old is oil soaked. Found a remanufactured one for about $130. Sure enough as I took the car out the other day the display went dim and out and the car died. I think the alternator is going fast. #2 problem is a lot of display lights coming on - check engine, trac control off, coolant, brake, etc - I wonder if the failing alternator is causing the mess. they got a code 25 and recommended replacing both main o2 sensors. I plan to use the universal type and splice the wiring harness for a cost of about $35each from Autozone. #3 there is some oil leaking at the transmission pan and engine oil pan. #4 slow coolant leak, recommended resealing thermastat housing and replace heater valve. #5 Struts, upper control arms, rear knuckle bushings. #6 very small items like hood shocks (will adapt Autozone part), gas door solenoid, power antenna, and LCD heating display out, front driver's speakers (top and bottom) not working. Honestly what I paid for the car is insignificant compared to the repairs I am looking at. But again, timing belt/water pump/pulleys done, love the color, ball joints replaced, paint and body good, tires and brakes good, engine and trans. perfect. I want to get my hands dirty, looks like they'll be very dirty, but compare this to the prices of any new car and most used cars and we all understand why we do this in the first place. Plus, I'd hate to see a good Lex meet its demise. It amazes me, this is an LS that saw very little upkeep and yet even after my description, if you drove it, it is still tight and rides beautifully, better than most new cars. I know it will last a long time, but I still wonder if I should take on the work???

sounds like a restore project on your hands. similarto what im going through.

let me know if you need help finding cheap parts gumart, i know the Assistant parts manager at Toyota/Lexus of Irving, and i can get virtually anything at wholesale prices.

Here is the '92 with his baby brother '98 in the garage. Also some pics of the exterior, amazing how good the Lexus body and paint hold up on a neglected LS.

Here is the '92 with his baby brother '98 in the garage. Also some pics of the exterior, amazing how good the Lexus body and paint hold up on a neglected LS.

post-15115-1112487481_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1112487547_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1112487875_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1112488157_thumb.jpg

dude, your interior is strikingly familiar!!! :blink: