Gs 400 60,000/mi Tune Up

My 1998 GS 400 with 59K miles runs great but according to dealer requires new plugs and change of all other components,belts,fluids,filters etc.. Lexus dealer offers complete program(plugs & belts replacement,trans oil change, filters, etc. ) for $1300. I challenged the service charge but agree with the parts replacements and was told that the service takes 12 hours labor at $90?hr. Does that make sense?

My 1998 GS 400 with 59K miles runs great but according to dealer requires new plugs and change of all other components,belts,fluids,filters etc.. Lexus dealer offers complete program(plugs & belts replacement,trans oil change, filters, etc. ) for $1300. I challenged the service charge but agree with the parts replacements and was told that the service takes 12 hours labor at $90?hr. Does that make sense?

The $1300 price is reasonable if it includes the timing belt, but 60,000 miles is too early to change the timing belt unless you are a frequent pedal to the metal kind of driver.

90,000 - 120,000 miles is a reasonable timing belt change interval for non lead foot drivers.

At 60,000 miles it would be good to change the spark plugs, fluids, filters cooling system thermostat and the serpentine drive belt. The price for all that should be under $1,000, but more

than $500.

*** Keep in mind I have a 98' ES 300.

Prices rely on a few factors. From my perspective, competition and location are the main factors. For example, in my area there is only 1 Lexus dealer; charges ~$700 for the 90k mile service. Where my parents live, there are 3 Lexus dealerships; charges ~$415 for the 90k mile service. The 90k mile service is well worth the money especially if you plan on keeping the car. Even though the manufacture recommends replacing the Timing belt at 60k, you can most likely wait til 90k, however, it depends on the belts condition. Do a search and you will find many posts with plenty of opinions.

Call different Lexus dealerships in your area for quotes. If you plan on visiting a friend in a different city sometime soon, call the local Lexus dealer in his/her area for quotes. The $$$ differences are interestingly surprising...

FYI: 90k mile service, Timing Belts replaced, Spark Plugs replaced and ECU unit replaced all in 1 business day. ~$1100

Timing belts on the newer GS are 90 thou or 7 years whichever comes first, the older GS are 60 thou or 7 years whichever comes first. We need to know exactly what is being done to know if the price is too high. Around the 90 thou or 7 year mark here's what should be done or have been done in the past, timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, new fluids(tranny, brakes, power steering, differential) possibly new hoses, drive belt, plugs, (fuel filter, plug wires, cap, rotor if it applies), engine flush before switch to synthetic, engine and trans mounts inspected, vacuum hoses inspected, radiator flushed. Steering and suspension inspected <_<

timing belt tensioner, water pump, hoses, can wait until around 150,000 - 180,000 miles because that's how long they normally last

An engine flush before switching to synthetic is not needed because a Lexus engine that has used conventional oil will be clean and sludge free. The benefits of synthetic are marginal at best according to Toyota so Toyota does not believe synthetic motor oil is cost effective.

radiator does not need to be flushed because radiator will be sparkling clean if the factory original coolant mixture has always been used Just drain and refill the radiator with the factory original 50/50 mix of Toyota long life coolant and distilled water

Radiators do, however, get clogged externally. So at about 75-100 miles it's good to remove the radiator and use a garden hose to wash away all the bugs and dirt off the fins of the radiator. Removing the radiator and provides access to the back of the AC condenser so it can be washed with a hose too

timing belt tensioner, water pump,  hoses,  can wait until around 150,000 - 180,000 miles because that's how long they normally last

An engine flush before switching to synthetic is not needed because a Lexus engine that has used conventional oil will be clean and sludge free.  The benefits of synthetic are marginal at best according to Toyota so Toyota does not believe synthetic motor oil is cost effective.

radiator does not need to be flushed because radiator will be sparkling clean if the factory original coolant mixture has always been used  Just drain and refill the radiator with the factory original 50/50 mix of Toyota long life coolant and distilled water

Radiators do, however, get clogged externally.  So at about 75-100 miles it's good to remove the radiator and use a garden hose to wash away all the bugs and dirt off the fins of the radiator.  Removing the radiator and provides access to the back of the AC condenser so it can be washed with a hose too

You have to take into account time as well, not just mileage. My 93 GS had almost 90 thou on it in 2004 and everything I mentioned needed to be replaced. I don't believe coolant is good for more than 5 years.B)

I have a 99 GS400. I have had this car four about 4 months now. When I bougt it mileage was around 62K. I am in the Chicago area and have a few Lexus dealers to choose from. When I first got the car, I called the dealer closest to me and asked about the 65K service. The dealer told me replace plugs and all fluids and some other minor stuff at around $1000. I called two more Lexus dealers within a 25 mile radius. They both told me that my plugs did not need changing until around 100k or so. I should change timing belt at that time as well. They told all I needed at this time was changing of all fluids and overall diagnositcs and they were at around $600 to $700. So make sure you do some comparison shopping if there are more dealers, even a Toyota dealer. I found out that the first dealer that wanted over a $1000 is always higher than everyone else and sometimes does maintenance that is not needed yet.

My 1998 GS 400 has 100k miles on it. I was concerned about some of the belts getting too worn so I put a new serpentine belt on it (30 bucks at autozone). But mostly I was concerned about the timing belt because you cannot see it, so I decided to have it replaced as well as the water pump. One of my friends offered to do it so he replaced them. I asked him to save the timing belt so I could look at it and when I looked at it , it looked almost brand new, with no visible cracks on the tread. The only cracks on it were microscopic on the outside of the band, and the only way you could see them is if you folded the belt together and looked at it under some light. I was really surprised that this belt did not have more wear for having a 100k miles on it. I mean I probably could have gone another 100k with no probs! But having peace of mind is more important to me so I am glad I did it, but at the same time I think man I really didn't need that done and I could have saved some money. However, I do believe maintenance is very important since I plan on keeping my car for several more years, and I like to take care of it you know?