Amsoil Or Mobil 1

Which one would you reccommend now with Amsoil  25,000 Oil with 12,500 mile filter change...

or the Mobil 1  15,000 Oil..?

Lets see Mobil EP is around $5.40 per qt and goes "up to 15K miles". I buy Amsoil ASL series for less then $5 per qt and can go "up to 25K (40% longer)"...No brainer for me. Plus my oil tests show there is not reason to change (less oil) and pay more.

Which one would you reccommend now with Amsoil  25,000 Oil with 12,500 mile filter change...

or the Mobil 1  15,000 Oil..?

Lets see Mobil EP is around $5.40 per qt and goes "up to 15K miles". I buy Amsoil ASL series for less then $5 per qt and can go "up to 25K (40% longer)"...No brainer for me. Plus my oil tests show there is not reason to change (less oil) and pay more.

I second that! :D B) I just switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil. It's a better & longer lasting synthetic. I actually got it cheaper than the Mobil 1 to boot. :whistles: ;) B) I'd go for the Amsoil ASL series 5W 30 grade.

:cheers:

Below is the advice of the Lexus engineers:

Lexus FAQ: Use of Synthetic Engine Oil

Question:Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Corporate Lexus's Answer:  Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals. Please refer to the Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement for further information regarding the proper maintenance schedule for your specific vehicle. If synthetic oil is used after that time, it should be the same SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.

Below is the advice of the Lexus engineers:

Lexus FAQ: Use of Synthetic Engine Oil

Question:Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Corporate Lexus's Answer:  Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals. Please refer to the Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement for further information regarding the proper maintenance schedule for your specific vehicle. If synthetic oil is used after that time, it should be the same SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.

mburn has already mentioned he get's an oil test done for his ES monarch & has posted his findings. :whistles: Even after 12,000 miles+ the Amsoil is still going strong. I personally am going to do 3 oil changes a year instead of 4 now the I use Amsoil instead of Mobil 1 (along with the Amsoil heavy duty oil filter of course). Because I can buy the Amsoil wholesale, I'm actually paying less then what it use to cost me for a Mobil 1 oil change. :blink: so it's a no brainer, plus I'm saving one oil change per year on top of that. :D

It's not going to effect my Lexus extended warranty either since the owners manual recommends to change the oil at 6 month or 8,000 kms (5,000 mile) intervals. I put on between 20,000 - 25,000 kms (12,000 - 15,000 miles) per year anyways so all the 'books balance'. B)

I do agree however, that once you switch to synthetic, you should stick with it. B)

The Lexus engineers, of course, have been familiar with oil analysis since before you and mburnickas were even born (both of you are just newlyweds in your 20's right?) yet they still sternly warn against extending oil changes when using synthetic. Common sense dictates the Lexus engineers are aware of serious potential consequences if oil changes are extended when using synthetic. Common sense dictates the Lexus engineers wouldn't waste time giving owners these warnings if they were not real.

Historically, however, teens and 20-something year olds won't obey the advice of elsers unless the elders SPECIFICALLY state EXACTLY what the consequences are of doing something risky. So until the day the Lexus engineers explain exactly what can go wrong when extending oil changes when using synthetic, the 16-30 year olds will continue disobeying them.

The Lexus engineers, of course, have been familiar with oil analysis since before you and mburnickas were even born (both of you are just newlyweds in your 20's right?) yet they still sternly warn against extending oil changes when using synthetic.  Common sense dictates the Lexus engineers are aware of serious potential consequences if oil changes are extended when using synthetic.  Common sense dictates the Lexus engineers wouldn't waste time giving owners these warnings if they were not real.

Historically, however, teens and 20-something year olds won't obey the advice of elsers unless the elders SPECIFICALLY state EXACTLY what the consequences are of doing something risky.  So until the day the Lexus engineers explain exactly what can go wrong when extending oil changes when using synthetic, the 16-30 year olds will continue disobeying them.

I am 28 & a newlywed yes......I'm not sure of mburns age. :rolleyes: If you paid attention to my previous posting, I am actually following what Lexus recommends to the letter & then some! (as I stated Lexus suggests changing the oil every 6 months or 8,000kms). :whistles:

How old are you monarch? Hurry up before you forget lol :lol: :whistles: :chairshot: I've been using synthetic oils since the day I turned 16 in all of my families vehicles, you know how many engine related problems we have encountered? none! & we've been paying roughly the same price for a synthetic oil change (by doing about 85% of oil & filter changes ourselves) as a dealership charges for a conventional oil change. ;) :ph34r:

Surely one can try & get their point across without having to do something off the wall like attacking one's age? :P That has no bearing on the subject at hand.

Lexusfreak, your are wasting your breathe.

Monarch is well aware of mburn's opinion, test results and standpoint. monarch on LOC is the same person as saber on CL. The have already had a recent go round on CL. I suggest that this conversation be continued over there because it has been thrashed enough on this site and the majority or us are tired of it and the same old rants. It grows tired once again.

Every car forum and motorcycle forum has this same debation going on. It is the never ending story. The bottom line is that people will use whatever oil they feel comfortrable with for whatever change interval they feel comfortable with for whatever reasons they have. People are free to do as they choose.

steviej

Lexusfreak, your are wasting your breathe. 

Monarch is well aware of mburn's opinion, test results and standpoint.  monarch on LOC is the same person as saber on CL.  The have already had a recent go round on CL.  I suggest that this conversation be continued over there because it has been thrashed enough on this site and the majority or us are tired of it and the same old rants.  It grows tired once again.

Every car forum and motorcycle forum has this same debation going on.  It is the never ending story.  The bottom line is that people will use whatever oil they feel comfortrable with for whatever change interval they feel comfortable with for whatever reasons they have.  People are free to do as they choose.

steviej

Understood steviej. B)

Wow..guys..I'm sorry I posted this question now...I didnt see the forum on OIL until after I posted it or I wouldn't have done so..PLS..forgive.LOL

Air Force Rascal..by the way..after talking to the regional manager of Amsoil..I ordered 0W30 and Amsoil Filters for my car!!!!

Well I had to post something on this topic since 50% is total BS

Monarch by the way my age has nothing to do with oil, does it? Also I have ZERO clue on why a wedding even comes up. But what, I guess age discrimation is a good way to look pretty. LOL, you are too much.

#1 Common sence tells me NOT to believe engineers so much. Hell, I have been a design engineer for aerospace parts/engine for over 10+years. Some engineers are good and some are bad, nothing new. Also I have even worked on NASA items. If I want an easier job I will work in the auto field.

The manual is given with a huge amount of “fluff” in it. If you designed parts, know processes, you know how design works and 1 thing is called FOS (one of many). Never mind the endless other formulas that add more “fluff” to the #’s. It is Lexus for dummies and most time the owners can’t even put air in the tires. Also this extended drains work, but they, any manufacture will open Pandora’s box since you will have the moron putting a group 3 oil in and think it will go XXX miles. Hell, look at all the issues now and you want to confuse the customer about what class or group of oil you need to buy? Come on.

Lexus will never explain what can go wrong since last I looked there are thousands of parts in an engine and you want Lexus to tell the “shirt and tie” the facts? Are you nuts? Most think “the stuff that cools the engine” is all the same too.

Again, the age issue is flat out comical. I know engineers twice my age and they could not design anything to save their life. PS. I know many users that entended drains that are over 30 also. Disobey them. Boy some nerve. Common sense tells me you need to do some diversity and ethical training .

Well I had to post something on this topic since 50% is total BS

Monarch by the way my age has nothing to do with oil, does it? Also I have ZERO clue on why a wedding even comes up. But what, I guess age discrimation is a  good way to look pretty. LOL, you are too much.

#1 Common sence tells me NOT to believe engineers so much. Hell, I have been a design engineer for aerospace parts/engine for over 10+years. Some engineers are good and some are bad, nothing new. Also I have even worked on NASA items. If I want an easier job I will work in the auto field.

The manual is given with a huge amount of “fluff” in it. If you designed parts, know processes,  you know how design works and 1 thing is called FOS (one of many). Never mind the endless other formulas that add more  “fluff” to the #’s. It is Lexus for dummies and most time the owners can’t even put air in the tires. Also this extended drains work, but they, any manufacture will open Pandora’s box since you will have the moron putting a group 3 oil in and think it will go XXX miles. Hell, look at all the issues now and you want to confuse the customer about what class or group of oil you need to buy? Come on.

Lexus will never explain what can go wrong since last I looked there are thousands of parts in an engine and you want Lexus to tell the “shirt and tie” the facts? Are you nuts? Most think “the stuff that cools the engine” is all the same too.

Again, the age issue is flat out comical. I know engineers twice my age and they could not design anything to save their life.  PS. I know many users that entended drains that are over 30 also. Disobey them. Boy some nerve. Common sense tells me you need to do some diversity and ethical training .

MAN!!! did I ever start something here...SORRY GUYS!!!

my age has nothing to do with oil, does it?

Yes it does because young people are mainly the ones who buy synthetic oil and oil additives.

The 16-35 year olds read advertizments like the one below for Slick 50 and then actually believe Slick 50 will make their engines last significantly longer:

-- "Every time you cold start your car without Slick 50 protection, metal grinds against metal in your engine...

-- " With each turn of the ignition you do unseen damage, because at cold start- up most of the oil is down in the pan. But Slick 50's unique chemistry bonds to engine parts. It reduces wear up to 50% for 50, 000 miles,"

45-80 year olds look at the same advertizment and think to themselves:

--this ad falsely infers that auto engines generally have little or no protection from start up wear without Slick 50.

--this ad falsely infers that it's common for engines to wear out due to start up wear

The business and marketing experience of the 45-80 year olds plus their superior critical thinking skills are what makes the difference.

Wow..guys..I'm sorry I posted this question now...I didnt see the forum on OIL until after I posted it or I wouldn't have done so..PLS..forgive.LOL

Air Force Rascal..by the way..after talking to the regional manager of Amsoil..I ordered 0W30 and Amsoil Filters for my car!!!!

Good to hear Air Force! :D ;) :whistles:

VGR, I respectfully disagree with you about the age issue with regards to synthetic oil & that's all I will say on the matter. :chairshot: :whistles: Let's drop the subject now guys & in the future, let's stay on the topic at hand, not trade 'blows' over car maintenance or what age bracket we are! :rolleyes: :P

my age has nothing to do with oil, does it?

Yes it does because young people are mainly the ones who buy synthetic oil and oil additives.

The 16-35 year olds read advertizments like the one below for Slick 50 and then actually believe Slick 50 will make their engines last significantly longer:

-- "Every time you cold start your car without Slick 50 protection, metal grinds against metal in your engine...

-- " With each turn of the ignition you do unseen damage, because at cold start- up most of the oil is down in the pan. But Slick 50's unique chemistry bonds to engine parts. It reduces wear up to 50% for 50, 000 miles,"

45-80 year olds look at the same advertizment and think to themselves:

--this ad falsely infers that auto engines generally have little or no protection from start up wear without Slick 50.

--this ad falsely infers that it's common for engines to wear out due to start up wear

The business and marketing experience of the 45-80 year olds plus their superior critical thinking skills are what makes the difference.

I never even stated Slick 50 ever and do not know where that came from. Then you are going to say young people this and young that. But just for FYI, my father is the one that used synthetics before me.

I could write stereotypes about this and that....I will say this. The critical thinking skills of an 80-year old are where the bathroom is at all times. That is critical for them, not oil….

VGR, I respectfully disagree with you about the age issue with regards to synthetic oil & that's all I will say on the matter. :chairshot: :whistles: Let's drop the subject now guys & in the future, let's stay on the topic at hand, not trade 'blows' over car maintenance or what age bracket we are! :rolleyes: :P

i have a suggestion, next time an oil recommendation thread comes up..

do the SK thing and type "search" and that should be the end of things.. :D

cheer guys

VGR, I respectfully disagree with you about the age issue with regards to synthetic oil & that's all I will say on the matter. :chairshot::whistles: Let's drop the subject now guys & in the future, let's stay on the topic at hand, not trade 'blows' over car maintenance or what age bracket we are! :rolleyes: :P

i have a suggestion, next time an oil recommendation thread comes up..

do the SK thing and type "search" and that should be the end of things.. :D

cheer guys

I agree 100% but the new Mobil EP is too new to be in the seach yet.

Good topic and I love oil debates... the info or lack there of is great!

Well these subjects (debates) do make things a bit more 'exciting' around here every once in a while lol :lol::blink: :whistles:

Well these subjects (debates) do make things a bit more 'exciting' around here every once in a while lol :lol::blink: :whistles:

I know...need things to spice up this forum....

I agree and disagree.

The rules and guidelines state that the threads must be kept somewhat in line with the topic and members should refrain from personal attacks and arguements. Take it to PM if you have to.

If you want to spice up the forum with debatable topics, pick something that hasn't been beaten down to a pulp. Plus, if it is a general topic, discuss it in the general forum.

Why must we copy a debate that is going on elsewhere with the same posts.

This thread is closed.

For further information or review of the great oil debate....please use the Search function and do not reopen old arguements unless you have new data and information to entertain the masses.

steviej

ES/IS Forum Moderator.