Brake Light Indicator

I have a '95 SC400 and several months ago used my emergency brake. Since then the brake indicator light on the instrument panel goes on and off while I am driving. Sometimes even when I am sitting still. Just curious if the emergeny brake hasn't released all the way or whether this is something I am just going to have to deal with. I can't tell that I have any resistance while driving. Any help is greatly appreciated! :wacko:

I have a '95 SC400 and several months ago used my emergency brake.  Since then the brake indicator light on the instrument panel goes on and off while I am driving.  Sometimes even when I am sitting still.  Just curious if the emergeny brake hasn't released all the way or whether this is something I am just going to have to deal with.  I can't tell that I have any resistance while driving.  Any help is greatly appreciated! :wacko:

you might want to have your brake pads checked, i believe this light also appears, if the brake pads get to thin.

I think your brake pads are slightly worn. As your brake pads wear, more fluid goes from the reservoir to the caliper piston chamber. After enough fluid moves, the sensor in the reservoir says you need more fluid. Just try topping off your fluid first. It's only a couple of bucks. If that does not fix it, then you can look elsewhere. At this point I'm convinced that the parking brake usage and the light are coincidence.

Tom

I have a '95 SC400 and several months ago used my emergency brake.  Since then the brake indicator light on the instrument panel goes on and off while I am driving.  Sometimes even when I am sitting still.  Just curious if the emergeny brake hasn't released all the way or whether this is something I am just going to have to deal with.  I can't tell that I have any resistance while driving.  Any help is greatly appreciated! :wacko:

I have a 92 SC400 and the same thing has recently happend to me. I dont believe it is the parking break either becuause i am due for new break pads and my fluid level has dropped slightly. I use my emrg. break here and there before in the past and it never came up as a result of the usage. hope that helps

I would go with checking your level first, but my brake light does a strange thing. I put the parking brake on. Turn the car on. Get the light. Pull the release and even hold it out. Parking brake comes off. Light stays on, but if I pull the release one more time it goes off. On mine I'm thinking the light switch needs to be ajusted. But I do not have a clue on how to do it.

I think your brake pads are slightly worn.  As your brake pads wear, more fluid goes from the reservoir to the caliper piston chamber.  After enough fluid moves, the sensor in the reservoir says you need more fluid.  Just try topping off your fluid first.  It's only a couple of bucks.  If that does not fix it, then you can look elsewhere.  At this point I'm convinced that the parking brake usage and the light are coincidence.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I was told a few weeks ago that I would be needing brakes in a few months. I'll check the fluid level as you suggested. Thanks!!

I would go with checking your level first, but my brake light does a strange thing.  I put the parking brake on.  Turn the car on.  Get the light.  Pull the release and even hold it out.  Parking brake comes off.  Light stays on, but if I pull the release one more time it goes off.  On mine I'm thinking the light switch needs to be ajusted.  But I do not have a clue on how to do it.

thanks for the info