Rotors, Caliper And Pads?

majkmil

Hello, I need to have my rotors resurfaced or replaced. I have a pretty good shake when braking at higher speeds. I have instructions from TIS that says I have to remove pads to remove the calipers. The dealer says the pads are fine. Has anyone removed calipers on 98-00 LS, And if so do you HAVE to remove the pads first? Thanks Mark

Checked that first,  those are on a first gen LS. They are very different, but thank you. You don't have to remove the caliper to replace pads on a 98 LS. Anyone else?

I don't know about '98 model, but most all the cars I've worked on do NOT require pad removal to change the rotors. That's what you want to do , right? You should have to remove the Caliper Assembly, with the pads in place, and change the rotors. You may have to compress the piston side a little to slide it back over a new rotor, but a turned, used rotor should be a breeze.

If your rotors are near undersize, you might consider buying a new set, as a warped rotor may take quite a bit of machining to clean up. You could spend anywhere from $10 to $25 dollars apiece to turn a rotor down to minimum thickness, and it won't last very long. They tend to overheat when they get thin.

Look on ebay. I just replaced all four rotors on my '90 LS for $120. And the rotors I bought are drilled, slotted and zinc plated. If all you need are the fronts, You could probably pick up a pair for $50 to $70, plus shipping. There are dozens of vendors selling all types, so shop around. You can spend twice to three times that amount for Brembo or some other brand name, but I don't think that's necessary. Rotors are pretty simple to make.

John D

Thank you. I did'nt think I had to remove the pads. Are there any manf. you recommend or ones I should stay away from. I would like to stay oem bit they are over a hundred $ for one side. Have the rotors changed over the years?

The instructions on my site should help you. The procedure is similar for 98-00 LS's. If you're going to buy pads, get the OEM ones.

Front:

These are different, 4 pistons. You can replace the pads without removing the caliper. However, you need to remove the pads and caliper to remove the rotor. The pads may be able to stay in the caliper assembly when it is removed.

Rear:

Pretty much exactly the same as first gen.