Rx 400h Ordering And Tracking Process

RAID10

My dealer told me that there would be an ordering and tracking process for those of us who have got deposits down on a 400h early. I have not been contacted, has anyone else? It is getting closer to April 15th and I want to get my options in the factory. :cries:

My dealer told me that there would be an ordering and tracking process for those of us who have got deposits down on a 400h early.  I have not been contacted, has anyone else?  It is getting closer to April 15th and I want to get my options in the factory.:cries:

That's what Lexus told me in a letter, but my dealer knew nothing about it really happening. I understand that the cars will come in and the people at the top of the list can decide if they want the cars.They will keep going down the list. They assume that some people would want a specific color and option and that others who are tired of waiting won't want their cars at all.

Wow! that doesn't seem fair considering I have had a deposit down for almost a year. One would think that they would follow through with their promise to let us order the colors and options we want and track the car through the assembly process. <_<

As I mentioned in a previous post, the dealerships cannot take option requests until they know what they are and the cost of each package. This typically does not happen until the vehicles are on their way (two weeks before April 15th) or shortly after they arrive. Because of this (what seems like senseless) chronology of events, the only reason for our specifying options is so that the dealerships can match incoming 400s to the requests. They will NOT custom-order until the waiting list is depleted. Lexus is not alone in their setup; my Corvette fell into the same boat. I saw a list of dealer-ordered Corvettes and picked the one I wanted when I was next in line.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the dealerships cannot take option requests until they know what they are and the cost of each package. This typically does not happen until the vehicles are on their way (two weeks before April 15th) or shortly after they arrive. Because of this (what seems like senseless) chronology of events, the only reason for our specifying options is so that the dealerships can match incoming 400s to the requests. They will NOT custom-order until the waiting list is depleted. Lexus is not alone in their setup; my Corvette fell into the same boat. I saw a list of dealer-ordered Corvettes and picked the one I wanted when I was next in line.

The letter I received came from Lexus not my dealer. The process is supposed to be initiated by Lexus from Japan for USA orders.

The letter I received came from Lexus not my dealer.  The process is supposed to be initiated by Lexus from Japan for USA orders.

Your letter from Lexus? You didn't mention that in your first post. You referred to your "dealer".

I have received a brochure and e-mails from Lexus, but no letter regarding ordering of options.

the 400h will be built one way. The option pkg. is decided by the dealers in the region before the car is built. The colors have been released as well. This will be close to a $50k. car. So if you are ready to pay that or a hi $600- to mid $700 lease payment then i would go back to the dealer a week or two before the release and have them work an actual deal..

The letter I received came from Lexus not my dealer.  The process is supposed to be initiated by Lexus from Japan for USA orders.

Your letter from Lexus? You didn't mention that in your first post. You referred to your "dealer".

I have received a brochure and e-mails from Lexus, but no letter regarding ordering of options.

Sorry about the confusion, I got the letter from Lexus then I asked my dealer about the ordering and tracking process. He said they (Lexus) would contact me independently and initiate the process.

Ah, it could be that I received it, but didn't notice the part about ordering. Still, it doesn't match what my dealership is saying. I guess we'll know more as the introductory date gets closer.

Lexus also had said in one of their press releases that people on the waiting lists would be able to track their vehicle through manufacture. I've spoken to the dealer whose list we are on and they don't know anything about it yet. Same with our local dealer (none of my local dealers are doing an ordered waiting list so I got on the list of a large dealer in the LA area).

Personally, I'm beginning to doubt that process is really going to happen at least for the earliest sales.

RX 400, I've never seen the purpose of leasing a car. We buy car that we like for cash and keep it a very long time. I have worried that with the delay in availability some dealers will favor their existing customers whose leases are running out over those of us on the lists.

patt- Leasing holds significant tax benefits for people who can write off their vehicle as a business expense. It also can be cheaper and less time intensive for people who know they're going to trade in 2-4 years and don't like keeping cars for a long time.

RX 400, I've never seen the purpose of leasing a car. We buy car that we like for cash and keep it a very long time. I have worried that with the delay in availability some dealers will favor their existing customers whose leases are running out over those of us on the lists.

Pat,

We do the same. Our Nissan Quest van is now over 11 years old. It's time for a change. I don't think that dealers could get away with bumping list-customers with lease return customers because if word got out, the dealership reputation would be in danger of suffering big-time. Say, for instance you knew someone who was returning a lease RX300 in April and was not on the waiting list. If you saw that person return with a 400h, you'd probably make sure that everyone and anyone were warned to stay away from THAT dealership.

SW, although I have a small side business, a vehicle is typically not needed. This is why I cannot justify leasing at this time.

But it doesn't matter if its needed for the business or not. You still might be able to realize some enormous tax savings. Since you normally keep cars a long time you'd have to sit down and crunch out the numbers and see whats cheaper. Depending on what your business makes it may be cheaper in the long run for you to lease than to buy even with the legnth of time you keep vehicles.

No need to worry about lease bump ups. Most leasing companies will allow you to extend your lease a few months if you have to wait to get a replacement vehicle, I know Toyota Financial Services does that as does the bank I leased my car through.

Mmmm, I'll have to look into the tax benefits..... BTW, some tidbits of which I have read recently.....the RX350 with 280 HP and the Prius GT - a sporty economy car? ......should be interesting.

At $8,535 I get a premium over the AWD version with the Nav +DVD of $5,000. Over the rumor amount.

Also I believe the reason the mileage is less than last years estimates is that they did not convert the Gasoline engine to an Atkinson cycle like the Prius. I believe the design has been compromised and I don't think I will use my "spot" to buy one. But I will wait for more info.

Ron Fiedler PE

Mechanical Engineer

Correction $48K not $4k - don't we wish :D

======

At $4,535 I get a premium over the AWD version with the Nav +DVD of $5,000. Over the rumor amount.

Also I believe the reason the mileage is less than last years estimates is that they did not convert the Gasoline engine to an Atkinson cycle like the Prius. I believe the design has been compromised and I don't think I will use my "spot" to buy one. But I will wait for more info.

Ron Fiedler PE

Mechanical Engineer

Ron Fiedler PE

Mechanical Engineer

I have looked for information on the engine cycle for the 400h, but found nothing other than references to "changes in the variable valve timing". Some of the increased expansion of the Atkinson cycle can be achieved with early intake valve closure, but not all. Prius, as you said, and Ford Escape use Atkinson cycle.

Disappointing I agree, but not a deal killer for me. The combined mileage for a vehicle of that size and performance is still excellent. What would Atkinson buy you, maybe 5-10% better highway mileage, 31.5-33 vs 30?

Dylan

At $48,535 I get a premium over the AWD version with the Nav +DVD of $5,000. Over the rumor amount.

Are you comparing to something besides MSRP on the Rx 330?

I get a base of 37,425 for the AWD Rx 330 plus 7008 for package 2 (the one that includes Nav without ML audio or backseat DVD (the closest to the Rx 400 base). That totals to 44,433 which is about $4 K premium.

Of course that isn't the whole story because I expect one can buy the Rx 330 for less than MSRP, but it is close to the premium I expected (maybe 1 K higher) and about midrange in the rumor mill prices I'd heard.

The info I have seen shows the same 10.x to 1 compression ratio of the standared v-6 for the Rx400h. All Lexus has done is detune the engine to limit outut to 208Hp. The valve timing, Atkinson cycle, doesn't do anything for you if you don't increase the base compresssion ratio. The Prius is over 13 to 1 base compression ratio.

By the way the Prius engine in gasoline only mode is the most effecient gasoline engine the EPA ever tested.

I suspect that Lexus had techincal problems developing this car and had to have the gasoline engine do more work than was planned, battery capacity?

I'll bet anything that an Atkinson cycle will follow within a year or so, I think I'll wait.

Ron

The info I have seen shows the same 10.x  to 1 compression ratio of the standared v-6 for the Rx400h. All Lexus has done is detune the engine    ...

I'll bet anything that an Atkinson cycle will follow within a year or so, I think I'll wait.

Ron

Greetings,

I think you meant "retune" rather than "detune". I believe Toyota retuned the engine for the higher RPM range at the expense of the lower RPM range, where the electric motors perform the best. Of course, we have to answer the question, "Retuned for what?" I would guess a combination of mpg and performance.

I will not wait for the Atkinson as I want to replace a full size 20 year old Chevy van getting 13.3 mpg. Replacing the van has waited a year for the 400h inorder to get its improvements over the RX330. If I already had an RX330, I too might wait for the the next generation of the 400H.

Sincerely,

Bill

Increasing gas mileage from 30 to 40 mpg sounds like a lot, but most of us have driving of a certain number of miles to do. Increases in mpg provide dimishing returns.

For BillT's Chevy van with 13 mpg, driving from Sacramento to LA (400 miles) would require about 31 gallons of gas.

At 28 mpg (the announced highway mileage for the 400 h) we get 14 gallons saving 17 gallons.

At 30 mpg (where some of us hoped the 400 h would be) we save about 1 more gallon (13 gallons)

Even the increase to 40 mpg would need 10 gallons saving 4 gallons over the Rx 400.

The info I have seen shows the same 10.x  to 1 compression ratio of the standared v-6 for the Rx400h. All Lexus has done is detune the engine to limit outut to 208Hp. The valve timing, Atkinson cycle, doesn't do anything for you if you don't increase the base compresssion ratio. The Prius is over 13 to 1 base compression ratio.

By the way the Prius engine in gasoline only mode is the most effecient gasoline engine the EPA ever tested.

I suspect that Lexus had techincal problems developing this car and had to have the gasoline engine do more work than was planned, battery capacity?

Ron

The prius has a compression ratio of only 9.5:1, less than the 400h. 13:1 is the expansion ratio, though I guess you are right to call it the base compression ratio. As you know, the efficiency comes from the high expansion ratio without a high compression ratio that could cause detonation.

I looked at the Toyota Japan website, and found that the Prius already uses early intake valve closing to achieve the Atkinson cycle. I thought that they used linkages.

So why didn't they just put in different pistons and change the valve timing to Atkinson cycle? Perhaps they have to some extent, 9.5:1 compression 10.6:1 expansion, and that resulted in the reduced power.

It does seem like a missed opportunity.

The prius has a compression ratio of only 9.5:1, less than the 400h. 13:1 is the expansion ratio, though I guess you are right to call it the base compression ratio. As you know, the efficiency comes from the high expansion ratio without a high compression ratio that could cause detonation.

I looked at the Toyota Japan website, and found that the Prius already uses early intake valve closing to achieve the Atkinson cycle. I thought that they used linkages.

So why didn't they just put in different pistons and change the valve timing to Atkinson cycle? Perhaps they have to some extent, 9.5:1 compression 10.6:1 expansion, and that resulted in the reduced power.

It does seem like a missed opportunity.

Will the Prius GT have the same cycle? If not, that may explain why the RX400h does not - performance as a priority.