Sticky Situation

deejay

OK, so actually it is an UN-sticky situation. I have a 1992 LS400 with 118K miles. I noticed a rattle the other day and found that the brown wood (looking) piece of trim on the passenger door that fits over the window and door lock buttons had come loose. It looks like it was glued down before.

My question is: does anyone know the proper glue to use to reset the trim piece? I am hoping to re secure the piece for another 100K miles or so without causing problems to the material or the part of the door it is glued to.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all may offer.

The trim is actual wood...

Can you see where its come loose? It may just snap in.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It has simply come unglued. There is glue residue on the back of the wood, and I can't see anywhere to snap it in. Now the one on the driver's side is loose, also.

The trim is actual wood...

Can you see where its come loose? It may just snap in.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It has simply come unglued. There is glue residue on the back of the wood, and I can't see anywhere to snap it in. Now the one on the driver's side is loose, also.

Mine just snap in and they are indentical to yours. the residue you are referring to is probably where the gloss coating over the wood is not finished. not a biggie. i would look to see if you have any metal clips inside the slot where they sit. I wouldnt reccomend gluing them down...nota good idea.

I have a 91 and mine are glued also. The passenger side came loose and i tried contact cement but it didn't hold. :cries: The is some bend in the wood and the pressure pulled the trim up on one side. Mine is going to take some pretty strong glue to hold it down on both ends.

Guys,

perhaps he is talking about the wood piece coming loose from the part that clips into the door panel.

What should he use to glue the wood back to the carrier?

My first thought is an epoxy.

Tom

Mine came loose the way yours did. No clips involved. I used RTV (silicone adhesive) and taped it down until the glue dried.

I have 91 LS400. my front door (both sides) trim parts that go "around" the window and door lock controls, both popped off on the same day. And not only did the wood pop of the aluminum "plate" the plate popped off the door. Gets real hot in Arizona. The wood was glued to the plat. Plat glued to door part. I need to replace them as the wood got messed up. And yes, when they popped they were warped big time.

On another car I had, my wood dash would always pop in places. Only thing I found was clear silicon. It lets you reposition if needed. Bonds well, and stays flexible (expansion and contraction). Just my 2 cents worth.