Lexus Vs. Toyota Dealer Service

melhadri

I have been under the impression that Lexus and Toyota parts are, for the most part, considered interchangeable. Considering the fact that Toyota Service is cheaper than Lexus Service, would there be a loss of value if I took my Lexus to Toyota for servicing?

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

I have been under the impression that Lexus and Toyota parts are, for the most part, considered interchangeable.  Considering the fact that Toyota Service is cheaper than Lexus Service, would there be a loss of value if I took my Lexus to Toyota for servicing? 

The toyota dealer by me does not have lexus parts and information in there computer. So when i go there to buy parts i have to hold there hand telling them what the toyota part is so they can look it up.

so if it comes to a big job were they might need to look a digrams they might turn you away or charge you extra labor for the work.

A couple years ago they changed the part numbers, Toyota dealers that service a lot of Lexus cars will know what parts work and will just order the rest to be couriered from a local Lexus dealer. Toyota dealers that don't will be lost and confused.

Only you can decide what a loss of value is, if the nice facilities, free doughnuts, free Lexus loaners, and inclusion in the Lexus service history database are valuable to you then yeah you'd have a loss of value, if not then no there wouldn't be any loss of value.

My advice would be to not use ANY dealership as a independent local mechanic that knows Lexus vehicles will do much better service at a more reasonable price than Lexus OR Toyota. If you're going to use Toyota I'd take the next step to and indy mechanic.

I have been under the impression that Lexus and Toyota parts are, for the most part, considered interchangeable.  Considering the fact that Toyota Service is cheaper than Lexus Service, would there be a loss of value if I took my Lexus to Toyota for servicing? 

The toyota dealer by me does not have lexus parts and information in there computer. So when i go there to buy parts i have to hold there hand telling them what the toyota part is so they can look it up.

so if it comes to a big job were they might need to look a digrams they might turn you away or charge you extra labor for the work.

I bring my 98 GS300 , 93 ES300 to a local toyota dealer and I make sure there top tech is the only one who touches the car, I always purchase the parts that I need beforehand and use the toyota service for the labor [ it is less expensive ]. And yes they have access to all the lexus manuals to perform service as needed. B) The only time that I bring the cars to a LEXUS stealer is if there is an issue covered under factory warranty or recall.

And yes they have access to all the lexus manuals to perform service as needed.

Again though, that depends on whether or not the dealership services a lot of Lexuses, they don't all have those manuals.

Again though, that depends on whether or not the dealership services a lot of Lexuses, they don't all have those manuals.

This is true , It just so happens that this dealership's top tech actually teaches TOYOTA/LEXUS mechanics classes in the 4 state region so his access to toyota mfg. info is quite vast. I am very fortunate to be close to this dealership.

Do Lexus and Toyota dealer service departments still use hardcopy manuals? The owner of the independent repair shop to which I take my car told me that he subscribes to http://techinfo.toyota.com/ -- the same website from which a Lexus dealer employee printed a portion of a wiring diagram for me last year.

I'm not certain but it looks to me like a subscription to techinfo gets you access to all on-line manuals for all Toyota, Lexus and Scion models since 1990. I will someday do a $10 one day or $50 one month subscription and download information that is not in the hardcopy 2-volume repair manual.

The air filter on my wife's '98 ES300 has the same exact part number as the one for my '97 Camry V6.... the Lexus dealer wanted twice as much!

Recently called local Lexus and Totota dealers for price on 4-wheel alignment for the ES300.... $129 at Lexus and $79 at Toyota. They both use the same laser-based alignment machine. The Toyota dealer did a great job.

Martin T.

• 3 months later...

I bought (used) and have my 97 LS400 serviced at a local Toyota dealership. The closest Lexus dealership is probably at least 3 hours away. The Toyota dealership has given me excellent service and can get parts quickly when needed. I also have only 1 highly-trained Tech work on my car. They service quite a few LS and RX models. The president of the dealership even drives a Lexus.