First Drive Lexus Rx 400h

Lexusfreak

Here you go everyone, a first drive of the 2006 RX 400h.  B)  Click the link:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/06rx400h.htm 

:cheers:

"Prices for the RX 330 with these option packages are $55,780 and $63,335 respectively. Prices for the RX 400h are expected to be announced at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto later this month, but buyers can expect a premium over and above these figures for a similarly equipped hybrid RX. "

Boy, I'm glad I live here in the states! By the way, the latest issue of Car & Driver includes a road test as well. They achieved 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. One of the electric motors generates 650 lbs-ft of torque! This thing will throw you back in the seat like no other SUV on the planet. I think I'm going to like it - very much!

Did any one notice that the mileage numbers in this article seem to be messed up compared to the Lexus press release? It looks like they exchanged city and highway numbers which is perhaps understandable given that the highway is usually the better number for gas cars but for hybrids the city is.

Did any one notice that the mileage numbers in this article seem to be messed up compared to the Lexus press release? It looks like they exchanged city and highway numbers which is perhaps understandable given that the highway is usually the better number for gas cars but for hybrids the city is.

...in the article..."RX 400h fuel consumption is estimated to be 9.0 litres per 100 kilometres in the city and 7.8 L/100 km on the highway."

This appears to be in the right order.

Here you go everyone, a first drive of the 2006 RX 400h.   B)   Click the link:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/06rx400h.htm 

"Prices for the RX 330 with these option packages are $55,780 and $63,335 respectively. Prices for the RX 400h are expected to be announced at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto later this month, but buyers can expect a premium over and above these figures for a similarly equipped hybrid RX. "

Boy, I'm glad I live here in the states! By the way, the latest issue of Car & Driver includes a road test as well. They achieved 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. One of the electric motors generates 650 lbs-ft of torque! This thing will throw you back in the seat like no other SUV on the planet. I think I'm going to like it - very much!

Why did you mention your "glad I live in the states!" RX? the price? :unsure::blink:

Thats what all the new cars out are doing, its not really wasting any space its just filling space with dash instead of guage. I'm like you, I prefer the all one peice cluster I think it looks more high tech when the optitron guages are on vs off.

Why did you mention your "glad I live in the states!"  RX?  the price?  :unsure:    :blink:

Yes, if the dealer told me that the sticker is $60,000, I'd have to back off from the deal. 50K is okay.

They're cheaper in the states...sort of.

I would assume those are Canuck $ they're quoting. Brings it down to the $40-45K range for American $.

That said, I, too, am glad I live in America instead of America Jr. It's lovely up there, and I love visiting, but...I'll just leave it at that.

You're never going to see any diesels from Toyota for the reason that they don't have any and the demand in the US isn't high enough for them to go through the expense of designing one. There IS a huge demand for hybrid vehicles.

In ontario the taxes are 15% on new cars (7% provincial (like a state tax) and 8% federal)

hybrid in the RX is useless, 3.6L+ twin turbo diesel please....

Correct plus there are taxes on top of taxes! :chairshot: :rolleyes: I don't think I will ever buy a 'brand new' vehicle ever again. :(

You're never going to see any diesels from Toyota for the reason that they don't have any and the demand in the US isn't high enough for them to go through the expense of designing one. There IS a huge demand for hybrid vehicles.

They already have plenty of diesel engines so there isn't really an expense just need the demand in the US.

The new IS will have a 2.4l diesel engine option in Europe, the first diesel Lexus.

Toyota are also working on diesel hybrids.

hybrid in the RX is useless, 3.6L+ twin turbo diesel please....

Wrong! The hybrid RX400 not only trounces any other RX in acceleration, but it gets 90%+ better gas milage in the city. Payback for those who live in big cities (with big traffic issues) can be as little as 3 years. Twin turbos and their required plumbing is much more expensive than the $4000 that the RX400 commands. Who is going to pay $65,000 for an RX diesel? In all probability, not many!