92 Ls400 Overheating

JacPearson

I had my timing belt and water pump replaced the first week of May. A week later my fan clutch went bad. Next week the fan blade broke off( I believe the shroud wasn't properly tightened, the mechanic said it just broke, yeah right). Anyway, I replaced the fan, but then it started overheating. I replaced the thermostat, and it's still overheating. I've added water/anti-freeze to the overflow tank each day (Is their not a main radiator cap?), but it still overheats. My next step is to check the radiator itself. Any other suggestions..

Thanks...

B) It appears to me that the car might have it's timing not propelly set.

I'm thinking whoever changed the belt messed up the timing, and it is off , you might hear the car pinging when acelerating it. I would have another mechanic checking the engine timing.

I must agree that the timing belt was not set properly which will cause overheating. I really doubt it is your radiator unless you see something or previously had problems with it. A couple of things I would check. Sometimes it is possible to get a air-lock especially if you haven't run the heater on high for awhile after the change. Another possibility is a defective waterpump. To check this, take off the radiator cap (not the overflow cap) DO THIS ONLY WHEN THE CAR IS COLD. Start the engine and put the heater on the highest setting. Watch to see when the thermostat opens and the flow begins. If you never see any flow this means one of two things has occured, the waterpump impeller is not turning (rather unlikely for a new pump) or more likely the thermostat is stuck closed. If the thermostat was not replaced during this work this is a good possibility. I guess this is why us DIY'ers are in existance. Good luck. Denny

my brother had this problem on his acura, first of all timing belt was set incorreclty and when they fixed it was still overheating but in a strange manner, it was going to the top and then back to normal every time engine was staring cold, after replacing termostt and water pump it got back to normal, so yea, check the timing and then rest, save some $

Timing doesn't have to do with the overhearting problem that he is having. Check your fan shroud, check all those nuts that secure the fan(12mm). There might be an air pocket in the system. On the Ls400 you have to fill the coolant on top the engine, otherwise it will overheating. Good luck.

JPI