Blizzak Or Nokian For Snow

lexs400

I wanted to ask this in this section because it has to do more with the handling and dynamics.

I had the bridgestone blizzaks ws-50 installed yesterday because of the snow in NJ, but the dry road handling is just terrible. the car drives like a boat.

I have read good things about the nokian wr on this forum as well.

my question is, should i return the blizzaks and get the nokians ?

can anyone comment on that based on experience ?

thnx.

Personally I am very happy with Blizzaks on our 00 LS - makes it get around like an SUV - a small price to pay for 3 months. Keep the pressure near the minimum (30 psi) for comfort and best handling and do not exceed 70 mph.

In Aspen answering on a Dell Axim wireless PDA...

Personally I am very happy with Blizzaks on our 00 LS - makes it get around like an SUV - a small price to pay for 3 months.  Keep the pressure near the minimum (30 psi) for comfort and best handling and do not exceed 70 mph.

In Aspen answering on a Dell Axim wireless PDA...

i had Nokian Hakkapalita (studded vrsion) on my contour fro 4 years when i lived in alaska, never gave me any issues at all. excellent dry wet and even ice handling.

Due to the nature of a winter tire, you should expect a difference in dry road conditions. We purchase a winter tire for grip.......that what your going to get in any winter tire selection. Winter tires usually (although some are) have a lower speed rating than the summer or all season tire it replaces......who's going to do 120 MPH when it's icy out anyways & your not an ice race car driver? Hence the less quality handling. B) ;) Some winter tires are quieter than others......but not by very much. You never mentioned how many miles you have put on the tires since you installed them........they could just need some miles on them & they should quiet down somewhat. B)

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned Blizzak ws50's for 5 winters and was really happy with them. This year on my LX450 I put studded hak LT's. Very comparable performance with the only differences being the Nokians are noisier from the studs and they do better on the ice. I have to concur that that no matter what the Blizzaks do tend to have a feel that is not as tight on the road at highway speeds. I accept that as a result of softer compounds which give better traction.

I have owned Blizzak ws50's for 5 winters and was really happy with them.  This year on my LX450 I put studded hak LT's.  Very comparable performance with the only differences being the Nokians are noisier from the studs and they do better on the ice.  I have to concur that that no matter what the Blizzaks do tend to have a feel that is not as tight on the road at highway speeds.  I accept that as a result of softer compounds which give better traction.

Exactly. :D B)

:cheers: