Front Windshield

jcanabal

My '04 GX got a "crack" on the windshield. I thought it was related to the cold/hot changes with the winter and heater inside. The dealer said there was a stone chip that started everything.

Question....

a) Should I buy an OEM glass? or aftermarket one?

B) pros/con?

Price difference think it is substantial....but if they are not good or acceptable then I'll pay the full price!

I was told $800+ for OEM and $250+ OEM.

PS: do not take into consideration the insurance please.

JMC

Insurance shoudl not be raised for a windsheild replacment or theft or fire

atleast it isn;t here and many other places as well.

I would get oem

and make sure it is fitted with new oem trim as well not aftermarket rubber seals and guter channels

Yeah windshields are usually covered as no fault damage on your insurance, especially during the winter. I've replaced several windshields in cars with OEM glass and its never raised my rates.

I would get the OEM glass.

Substantial doesn't begin to explain the price difference. Expect to pay $1200 for the Lexus glass and $200 for aftermarket.

Yeah windshields are usually covered as no fault damage on your insurance, especially during the winter. I've replaced several windshields in cars with OEM glass and its never raised my rates.

I would get the OEM glass.

Substantial doesn't begin to explain the price difference. Expect to pay $1200 for the Lexus glass and $200 for aftermarket.

how big should the crack be to get it replaced? just curious because both my cars have a few little rock cracks from freeway rocks, and was wondering how big it should be to be replaced.

Aftermarket is fine - even the local bodyshop (owned by the Lexus dealer) uses aftermarket glass and that is what they installed on my previous LS. My current LS will get a new aftermarket windshield at its 5th birthday. Glass replacement is covered under compehensive coverage as are road damage and vandalism.

Aftermarket glass CAN be fine but the quality control is not as strict as OEM. I've seen many an aftermarket windshield with distortions or other irregularities that can be very annoying. If the insurance is paying why not go OEM?

The mold of aftermarket glass is never as good or even close to oem

it always will have waves when veiwed from the side as well as being more likely to crack again over oem finish and quality issues

the thin laminate between the 2 layes of glass can make a huge difference in durability

beside i have never seen any after market glass look anywhere close to oem if you know what you are looking for

The quality of most aftermarket glass is equal to OEM. In fact, glass is probably the highest quality of all non-OEM parts. With that said, my recommendation is to use only name brand non-OEM glass - just like my local Lexus dealer does.

Plus using aftermarket glass helps keep insurance rates down. We replace windshields when they become worn and we do not bother to have our insurance carrier pay since the reason for replacement is "wear and tear". I ask our insurance carrier to pay only for broken glass - again to keep rates down.

Of course working in the insurance industry for 28 years has definitely colored my opinion!

I have to agree with SK though, I've never seen an aftermarket windshield look as optically clear as an OEM one. My dad had one put in a Cadillac he had when I was a teenager and it made me sick to my stomach to look through it it was so distorted. I'm sure there are aftermarket glassmakers out there that do good work, but for my money and my car why take the chance?

Plus, I pay my insurance company $2000 a year, the least they can do is spot me a $1000 windshield every few years ;)

SK, did you know that the same major glass makers that supply OEM glass to Toyota-Lexas also supply glass to the aftermarket? Except for not having a Toyota-Lexus logo, it is the same product.

Also keep in mind that, like most automakers, Toyota manufactures few components in its own factories. Car companies do not "make" cars - they design, assemble and market cars.

Long held beliefs are sometimes hard to let go.

True, but not all aftermarket glass companies. Without a knowledge of the different manufacturers how would someone know? With OEM glass you're assured OEM quality. Thats why insurance companies cannot specify aftermarket glass if the customer wants OEM.

Yes PPG makes the majority of oem spec glass

autolite is used in North America mainly

pekignton or somethign makes Mercedes

Sorry i don't go by guesses i go by hard facts

mentioning other glass makers means nothing

just like mcdonalds and burger king both make a burger

but are not the same

As well toyota makes nothing but design nippon denso makes 85% of toyota electrical just like Magna makes most of north american small parts and trim.

If you can tell i kind of have my ear to the ground in the automotive feild, so i do know what i am talking about

I agree that the average person oould get confused on which companies provide good glass. My recommendation is to discuss this issue with your insurance agent, Lexus dealer, or a trusted independent repairshop. I have bought lot of aftermarket glass over almost 40 years and got only one bad windshield - in 1976 on a VW Rabbit. Even this one distorted window was replaced at no cost within 24 hours.