Check Engine Light

no it is not for service

it means it needs service as something is wrong

as in one of its sensors has detected something unusual

get it checked asap

most shops can put a scan tool on it and tell you what the code is

i think pep boys does it for free

steph, there are many facits to a "bad EGR valve" call.

Have lexus read code, Autozone will tell you in general what may or may not be the problem. If Lexus reads the codes, they can further pinpoint the code as to what part of the EGR valve may be the problem.

You will find the entire EGR valve will be upwards of $300 to $400 for the part alone when it may not need replacing.

another example is that Autozone can read the code that an O2 sensor is bad, but they can't tell you which one.

steviej

I think i had this problem with my 98 lexus as well. and lexus replaced the $400 part for free because it was under the california emission warranty. I suggest checking to see if it is covered before driving over 100k. cause i think that's when the warranty is over, assuming you are in california. :)

that seems odd steviej as the cars mentioned would either be obd 1 or 2

meaning any scan tool should be able to pick up the signals and figure it out of which ones

but it does take time to learn to watch the variables rambled off on a screen

sk, in most cases a tool is only as good as the person who uses it. Granted the obd 1 and obd 2 scanners will pick up codes triggered, stored, and cleared. However, if the person is not skilled at each manufacturers combination of codes, then you may be shorting yourself.

Like LexuSY said, take it to Lexus, they may replace it if under emission warranty. But, you will never know unless you take it in.

steviej