'92 Es Starting Issues

When I start my ES and it's cold outside it cranks for too long before it turns out. I used to have a V6 Camry of this vintage that started like a charm no matter what the weather. This isn't the only starting abnormality though. When I start the car warm it revs up above 2000 rpm when it turns over. Just for a split second though the engine revs and comes back down and only when it's warm. Both of these things are accompanied by a slighty rough idle. Just a tune up needed?

first things that come to mind are the three things needed to start and run the engine. SPARK, FUEL and AIR.

Fuel, make sure you have good fuel pressure.

It may be a lazy fuel pump, partially clogged fuel filter or dirty or lazy fuel injectors.

Spark,

When was the last time you changed your plugs or even checked them. A tune up of wires and plugs may be in order if they haven't been changed for at least 60k miles. How old is your battery? It may be getting tired, too.

Air,

you could have a dirty or sluggish IACV (idle air control valve). The throttle body may also be laiden with carbon. What about your air filter, when was the last time it was replaced, cleaned or even checked. A commonly overlooked item is the accordian like hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body. Check this to see if it has any cracks or holes. This can lead to rough start ups and idle too.

All in all, given that it is a 92, a tune up including a motorvac may help out tremendously.

try searching on rough idle, rough start up or even motorvac.

steviej

My fix for this was cleaning the idle air control valve with throttle body cleaner. (It's the unit on the intake manifold with a tube from the accordian intake hose on it.) I just completed the cleanup and it starts like a charm and runs pretty well.

You might need to check your plugs though mine needed cleaning.