Wheel Buying Tips For First Gen. Ls400

Bwilliams

Looking to buy some wheels for my LS, but I refuse to sacrifice my ride quality for size. I wanted to go w/ 19's but I hear 20's absolutely destroy the ride. I would also be willing to do 18's. Does anyone have one w/ 18's or 19's and is their ride still good? :pirate::pirate:

It is not possible to increase wheel diameter by even one inch without sacrificing ride quality unless you keep the tire section height the same which then trashes speedometer accuracy. I've heard complaints about ride quality from people who have gone from standard 16's to only 17's - including complaints about dramatically reduced tire life.

Tires provide much of the "shock absorber" function.

I saw a teenager driving an early LS400 with fancy 19's or 20's on a rough small town street in northern Missouri a few weeks ago. He was driving like a 90 year old - probably to keep from jarring his brains out (and from bending his wheels). Although the street was rough I just comfortably blazed past him on my standard size wheels - I didn't have to worry about damage to my standard size wheels.

When I was at a wheel shop last November having my wheels balanced, I was shown a bunch of 18 - 22" wheels that were bent by potholes. Why do people put up with all this trouble? IMO the silliest thing of all is to see cars with aftermarket wheels that cost more than the car is worth!

Looking to buy some wheels for my LS, but I refuse to sacrifice my ride quality for size.  I wanted to go w/ 19's but I hear 20's absolutely destroy the ride.  I would also be willing to do 18's.  Does anyone have one w/ 18's or 19's and is their ride still good?:pirate:  :pirate:

I have 18" on my car and I wish that I would have stuck with stock. You will sacrafice ride quality because of the low profile tires. I have already cracked my front wheel and bent the back one on a pot hole. If I were you I would seriously consider ride quality and also being scared of every bump in the road.

My GS has the 17 inch wheels, the LS the 15. The difference is huge. If you want ride quality go no further than 16. Everything is a compromise in cars and in life......