92sc400 Valve Adjustment

gcarpent

I am currently searching for the correct toolkit to get for my 1991 Lexus V8 as well. Hope someone out there knows. The shim removal toolkit for my '89 Corolla has a Toyota part number of 09240-55010, but the kit for the Lexus V8 may be slightly different and have a different part number.

the 400 motor is direct lifter to cam, no hydraulic lifters. you need to get some good feeler gauges and measure clearance and then buy the corrected size shim.

as for removal you just use a air nozzle to blow out the shim and slide in the new one.

as for removal you just use a air nozzle to blow out the shim and slide in the new one.

Have you actually tried this and had it work for you or are you just guessing that it will work? The intended purpose of the special Toyota valve shim removal tools are to make it possible to remove the shim without having to remove the camshaft.

Here is the directions from alldata (minus pics). You must use a shim removal tool. This job is a real pain in the !Removed!.

Remove No. 3 timing belt.

Disconnect spark plug wires from spark plugs.

Remove cylinder head covers.

Set No. 1 cylinder to TDC. Ensure timing marks of camshaft timing pulleys are aligned with timing belt rear plates, Fig. 32. If not, turn crankshaft 360°and recheck.

Using a feeler gauge, check clearances while engine is cold. Intake should be between .006-.010 inch. Exhaust should be between .010-.014 inch. Check valves in Fig. 33. first.

Turn crankshaft 360°and check valves in Fig. 34.

If valves need adjustment, proceed as follows:

Turn crankshaft until cam lobe is positioned upward. Press down lifter using shim too 09248-55011 or equivalent, then place another shim tool between the cam and lifter flange. Using compressed air and a magnet, blow out shim through shim hole, Fig. 35 and 36.

Using a micrometer, measure shim thickness.

Calculate shim thickness using the following formula: intake N=T+(A-.0008 inch), exhaust N=T+(A-.012 inch): T=Thickness of used shim, A=Measured valve clearance, N=Thickness of new shim.

Place new shim on valve lifter. Press down lifter and remove shim removal tools.

Recheck valve clearance.

Install cylinder head covers.

Install spark plug wires.

Install No. 3 timing belt covers.

Copyright © 2005 ALLDATA LLC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did mine myself using the repair manaul as a reference, I had three valvves out of adjustment two on the intake and one on the exhaust. It works just like jeremyp said, the tool you need is a blow-gun for the air compressor a mirror to see with, made sure you do not drop a shim in the openings, and this tool at this location http://store.autotoolexpress.com/sch88250.html.