Adding Aftermarket Heated Seats...

branshew

Unfortunately I recently totalled my Wife's '00 Pathfinder (rolled it 3x on the interstate) and she has been driving around in our Lexus for the past few weeks while we are looking for something to replace it. Although it hasn't gotten too cold here yet, she has been (verbally <_<) missing her heated seats in the Pathfinder.

I need to have some upholstery work done on the driver's seat and I was thinking about adding an aftermarket heated seat pad similar to the one below:

Heated Seat

Has anyone done this yet? I'm not set on a brand or supplier yet as I am only toying with the idea at this time. So if anyone has any suggestions....

Although many of the units that I have found come w/ a hi/lo switch I was wondering if I could retrofit a factory switch since it would fit better into the console slot. I was also wondering if there was a power source installed from the factory under the seat that I could tap in to (even though my car is not equipped with the heated seat option).

I just placed an order with heaterseats.com so I wil post my results later. I am doing the rear seats of another car. You should get power from the fuse box since they will draw a good amount of power. I doubt there is anything under the seat you can use. You can retrofit a factory switch but you will not have the factory plugs that go into the switch. Also the factory switch on cars before 2000 are 1 setting only. HiGH. After 2000 they have high and low.

Strange, I had a high/low seat heater switch on my '94ES.  :blink:

Also, the factory equipped seat heaters include a heated backrest.:wacko:

I thought there were 2 settings.

I'm not as concerned about the backrest. It would be nice, but I'm only having the top of the driver's seat redone and don't want to deal w/ the hassle of having the back of the seat taken apart.

You should get power from the fuse box since they will draw a good amount of power. I doubt there is anything under the seat you can use.

I have been told that I could tap in to the power seat wiring for this. I just assumed that the wires for the heated seats would have already been put in place but the pads & switches not installed. It seems to make it easier for production if the same harness is used in every car - similar to pre-wiring for the CD Changer and leaving it as an option. (Although I know adding on power seats is usually not an option unless the pads are installed at the factory.)

I think that Lexus's, as well as most auto manufacturers have at least 2 different types of wiring harnesses, depending on the equipment installed at the factory, because it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to save on the additional cost of the wire. Lot's of cars sold are in very warm climates that have no need of seat heaters. That's why they have Supply Economy type people working for them. :)

92-96 have high and low

you could try and buy the switches

add the oem fuse to the block and see if it powers up

otherwise run the power for them from the battery as they are high draw resistors

shoudl be easy to change once the leather is coming off to replace

also they sell heated massaging seat covers

take oone of them apart and use the switches and wiring from that and place it under the leather