My Old 1990 Ls400 Was Crashed Today :_ _ _(

90LS400Lexus

My mother told me earlier today that the lady that bought my old LS400 had a crash in it today. Thankfully no one was injured. It seems as if in the rainy weather this morning, that another woman lost control of her car on the slick roads this morning and hit her. The hit was hard enough to knock her into another car, so the Lexus obviously took two hits. Even though it is not my car any longer, it still made a sick feeling in my stomach when I heard the news. :cries: The good and important news is that her, nor her daughter were hurt. The Lexus did its job and kept them safe. I assume that no one else was badly injured either, since she did not say. I do not know how bad the car was damaged, but she said it did not look good and at least one wheel was bent. <_< . Hopefully she can get it repaired and back on the roads, unless the car is damaged beyond repairs, but the car can be replaced- people cannot be- so that is what is important.

Everyone be careful out there on those roads.

yea true dat... raining here on westcoast has stopped for a while... but still everyone please remember there are still puddles and other such things... i myself have retained speeding for a while... a combo of cops and rain and friends getting tickets for above 120... lots of acidents has happened in sacramento.... friends cousin died recently... hydroplaned

Hi 90LS400Lexus!! :)

I'm sorry to hear that. I can appreciate how you feel. I'm glad no one was hurt.

I have to admit - I was a bit confused when you said, "The good and important news is that her, nor her daughter were hurt." I couldn't help but think - "Gee - I had no idea 90LS400Lexus was such a MONSTER!!" Then I realized that 'her' meant the Lexus!! lol

It must be odd - when you think of it - to see an old house you once owned - burned to the ground. [or something like that] A part of us seems to remain with the things we live with. And for many of us - our car is an important part of our lives.

Craig!! :)

Yes, it poured down rain here last night as well. We got over an inch of rain in about 3 hours.

I know what you mean Craig. One of my parents old friends had lived in her old homeplace for many years when she was a child. It burned down about 10 years ago. I remember her being devistated when she heard the news. All she had left of the house was memories.

LOL about the monster part. :D Yes, I meant it was good that the lady that bought my car and her daughter (who was also in the car) were not hurt. That was a bit difficult to word. <_< :)

I had to go to that pharmacy today where she works to pick up my grandparents medications and she was there. She asked me if my mom had told me about her crash. She went into a bit more detail. She said that the woman that hit her had actually went through a red traffic light and hit her. She said that she hit so hard that it bent the rear wheels.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can appreciate how you feel. I'm glad no one was hurt.

I have to admit - I was a bit confused when you said, "The good and important news is that her, nor her daughter were hurt." I couldn't help but think - "Gee - I had no idea 90LS400Lexus was such a MONSTER!!" Then I realized that 'her' meant the Lexus!! lol

It must be odd - when you think of it - to see an old house you once owned - burned to the ground. [or something like that] A part of us seems to remain with the things we live with. And for many of us - our car is an important part of our lives.

Even back in 1990.....those LS 400's were built like bank vaults. B)

:cheers:

When I was in high school, my parents bought a 1970 Monte Carlo with a 350/300HP, duals and posi. Beautiful car, but my brothers and I tortured it. It would do wicked burnouts starting with me (the oldest), then my 2 year younger brother further brutalized the car. It finally progressed to my youngest brother who bought it from my parents for $200 or something. He really put it to the test. He slid off a corner at about 90, but didn't kill himself (like my other brother did) but it put a very large dent in the RR quarter. He fixed it and further abused the Monte. He finally sold it and the guy he sold it to lost control and killed himself on I-690 in Syracuse.

Luckily in your case nobody was hurt. With all the people I know who have been killed in car accidents (my brother and father and many friends) getting hurt only may be a blessing.

We all know the dangers in driving, some more than others. I am always really nervous when my daughter is driving. She drove back to Virginia Tech today and I didn't relax until she was there. Thank God I don't have a son who drives like me!

Very sorry to hear that terrible news VB.

Yes, I told her that at least they were not hurt and they were lucky. A car can be repaired/replaced, but sadly, people cannot.

My uncles ex-sister-in-law lost her 16 year old son to a car crash back in the mid to late 1980s. It was an extremely difficult time for the family and it is still hard to think about. That is one reason why you do not give a 16 year old a powerful sports car and hand them the keys. I was a young lad- around 10-12, but I remember it was something like a early 80s Datsun 240Z sports car. It may have happened no matter what type of car- no one knows.

Your situation sounds like my uncle in Richmond. He has a son that also goes to Virginia Tech and even though he is nearly 20 years old, he still worries about him and makes him phone when he gets there, whether he is driving from Richmond to Blacksburg, or from here (when he is visiting family here) to Blacksburg- which is about 2 hours on the other side of Blacksburg, VA.

When I was in high school, my parents bought a 1970 Monte Carlo with a 350/300HP, duals and posi.  Beautiful car, but my brothers and I tortured it.  It would do wicked burnouts starting with me (the oldest), then my 2 year younger brother further brutalized the car.  It finally progressed to my youngest brother who bought it from my parents for $200 or something.  He really put it to the test.  He slid off a corner at about 90, but didn't kill himself (like my other brother did) but it put a very large dent in the RR quarter. He fixed it and further abused the Monte.  He finally sold it and the guy he sold it to lost control and killed himself on I-690 in Syracuse.

Luckily in your case nobody was hurt.  With all the people I know who have been killed in car accidents (my brother and father and many friends) getting hurt only may be a blessing.

We all know the dangers in driving, some more than others.  I am always really nervous when my daughter is driving.  She drove back to Virginia Tech today and I didn't relax until she was there.  Thank God I don't have a son who drives like me!

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be some good news after all for my old Lexus. I spoke to the lady today that bought it when I had to go to the pharmacy to get some medication for my grandparents.

She said that they did indeed "total" the car, but she got enough money to have it repaired. She received an estimate of $2600 to repair. Seems like most of the damage occured on the rear passenger side quarter panel and door. She said that she was definitely going to have it repaired, because she loves that car and she said she wanted to drive it until the wheels fall off. So it looks like it will be back on the roads again. It was/is a great running car.

She said the radio did finally go out. It had obviously been going bad for a while.

Thanks for the kind words 90. Yeah, it is something you never forget but just have to live with. My father was on I-81 heading north and someone heading south lost control and jumped a 20 ft medium and landed on the hood of his car. He never knew what hit him.

Glad to hear your 90 will still be operative. If she plans to drive it until the wheels fall off she may have a problem. Wheels don't seem to fall off an LS. I'll bet you still miss the car in many ways. If you are anything like me you get just as attached to your cars as you do to your pets.

Well, I can relate with you a bit. I too lost a family member due to a crash on Interstate 81. My dads 1st cousin's daughter was killed about 6 or 7 years ago at the extreme south end of I-81 (northbound lane), just past where it interchanges with I-40, just east of Knoxville. She was only 19 years old and went to college in Knoxville (University of Tennessee if I recall) and she and her friends were heading back home here- which was about an hours drive. Some crazed driver sideswiped (cut them short) them going around 90mph- he kept going and was never found. They lost control and the car flipped time after time. There were four girls in the car (all wearing seat belts) and she was the only fatal injured, but the other girls had some severe problems for a while. Also, another cousin of my fathers on the other side of his family also had a bad crash on I-81 about 11-12 years ago. She too lost control and flipped. She had to go through years of therapy and for a while it looked grim. They thought she was not going to live, but she has made remarkable progress thank God. As with all freeways, I-81 is dangerous. I have seen several deadly crashes. I am suprised there are not more in our area of the interstate as it goes around the city, because of the increasing growth of the area and the addition of 6-lanes, people drive faster and faster. Just today I was on I-81 (northeast TN) and saw some crazy driving. It can be scary at times and you have to always be on guard. It is very sad when someone loses their life on the interstates due to someones carelessness- being in a gigantic hurry.

About the car- I was also going to tell her that. I did tell her that I thought the car would last her for a very long time. That car had a super powertrain. I would not mind finding another one of these days. Yes, I do really miss it. I did not really did not think I would miss it until it was gone. Actually, the moment I delivered it to her, I started the regrets. Honestly, on the drive over there- I knew it would be the last- I was not wanting to let it go.... Sounds silly, but cars seem to grow on some people, even though they can be replaced, with another of the same model, but I guess it is just the memories. Especially if you have had a car for a lot of years, I say it would be even worse for some. I have missed about all of the cars I have owned and sold, but after a while, you do not think about them as much. Still some I remember, even though I sold them several years ago. :)

Thanks for the kind words 90.  Yeah, it is something you never forget but just have to live with.  My father was on I-81 heading north and someone heading south lost control and jumped a 20 ft medium and landed on the hood of his car.  He never knew what hit him.

Glad to hear your 90 will still be operative.  If she plans to drive it until the wheels fall off she may have a problem.  Wheels don't seem to fall off an LS.  I'll bet you still miss the car in many ways.  If you are anything like me you get just as attached to your cars as you do to your pets.

Well, I can relate with you a bit.  I too lost a family member due to a crash on Interstate 81.  My dads 1st cousin's daughter was killed about 6 or 7 years ago at the extreme south end of I-81 (northbound lane), just past where it interchanges with I-40, just east of Knoxville.  She was only 19 years old and went to college in Knoxville (University of Tennessee if I recall) and she and her friends were heading back home here- which was about an hours drive.  Some crazed driver sideswiped (cut them short) them going around 90mph- he kept going and was never found.  They lost control and the car flipped time after time.  There were four girls in the car (all wearing seat belts) and she was the only fatal injured, but the other girls had some severe problems for a while.  Also, another cousin of my fathers on the other side of his family also had a bad crash on I-81 about 11-12 years ago.  She too lost control and flipped.  She had to go through years of therapy and for a while it looked grim.  They thought she was not going to live, but she has made remarkable progress thank God.  As with all freeways, I-81 is dangerous.  I have seen several deadly crashes.  I am suprised there are not more in our area of the interstate as it goes around the city, because of the increasing growth of the area and the addition of 6-lanes, people drive faster and faster.  Just today I was on I-81 (northeast TN) and saw some crazy driving.  It can be scary at times and you have to always be on guard.  It is very sad when someone loses their life on the interstates due to someones carelessness- being in a gigantic hurry. 

About the car- I was also going to tell her that.  I did tell her that I thought the car would last her for a very long time.  That car had a super powertrain.  I would not mind finding another one of these days.  Yes, I do really miss it.  I did not really did not think I would miss it until it was gone.  Actually, the moment I delivered it to her, I started the regrets.  Honestly, on the drive over there- I knew it would be the last- I was not wanting to let it go....  Sounds silly, but cars seem to grow on some people, even though they can be replaced, with another of the same model, but I guess it is just the memories.  Especially if you have had a car for a lot of years, I say it would be even worse for some.  I have missed about all of the cars I have owned and sold, but after a while, you do not think about them as much.  Still some I remember, even though I sold them several years ago.    :)  

Thanks for the kind words 90.  Yeah, it is something you never forget but just have to live with.  My father was on I-81 heading north and someone heading south lost control and jumped a 20 ft medium and landed on the hood of his car.  He never knew what hit him.

Glad to hear your 90 will still be operative.  If she plans to drive it until the wheels fall off she may have a problem.  Wheels don't seem to fall off an LS.  I'll bet you still miss the car in many ways.  If you are anything like me you get just as attached to your cars as you do to your pets.

my condolences and prayers VBdenny.

i know exactly how tough it is to lose someone close in a car accident, and i hated it. i hated the person that caused it. but i forgave them.

people do not understand the effects a car wreck has on the human body. when you are doing 20 and you collide with an object thats stationary, even at that low of a speed, tremendous stress is put on the body. thats why i hate seening people driving like idiots when they are ont eh strrets (parking lots and tracks are one thing, a neighborhood or freeway is another). i had an airbag blow up in my face, and it changed my entire outlook on how i drove. it also changed my outlook on life. many many people, sadly, will not understnad it, until an airbag blows up in their face.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I agree with you.

To update- I spoke to the lady today at the pharmacy that bought my LS400. She said it was fully repaired, good as new. She said you cannot even tell it was in the crash. However, shortly after, it developed a coolant leak. At first she said they thought it was the water pump, but ended up being something else, but she cannot recall what it was, only that it was near the cooling fan. The part was unavailable at AutoZone, Advance or O'Reilly auto parts, so she had to go to Lexus to get it. $200 part. Would be interesting to know exactly what it was?

All I know is I never had any leakage problems with it.

Good to know it is back on the roads again.

:blink: You have to be totally nuts and out of your mind to get attached to a car. It is just a piece of metal. If it's been hit, or getting expensive. Dump it and get a new one!... At least that is what my friend have told me over and over and over... Again...

I have an 84 Saab. It has been hit more then I want to think about. It has been declared a total 3 times by insurance companies. I bought the salvage rights from them and rebuilt the car. I still have it. 300,000 + miles and looks almost new, inside and out (My friends remind me, I have replaced a lot of the car and more then once). I should say goodbye to it, but can't really bare the thought. I just really like the car.... OK, it is more then "Like".

Oh, what is it with uninsured drivers hitting nice cars! All three times I got nailed by some jerk with no license and no insurance. Two times I was stopped at a traffic light (you know, a red light), and got re-ended by one of those brain dead folk.

In fact got smacked in the Lexus. Only one time, so fair. But it was a guy with no license, no insurance, and he rear ended me as I sat in traffic!

I have had my 91 LS 400 for about a year and a half. I keep it extremely well maintained mechanically. It needs some body work and paint. It spent most of it's life in Los Angeles, and the body and paint show what the folks in Los Angeles can do to a car in a parking lot with there doors, and carts!

I have been resisting the voice in my head to comply restore the car. Because if I do, I will never part with it.......

Hay I even get upset when the 4x4 gets a scratch on it from 4 wheeling, and that is about the only thing I use the truck for!, That and pulling the boat. It's the only reason I bought the truck. But I fixed it up, and now I'm "Involved with it".

I'm afraid I'm losing that battle on the Lexus. More likely then not, I'll totally clean it up, because that is what I do with the cars I own. Or should I spend the bucks on a psychiatrist ?????

:P

..lol i can tell you're not that much of a car guy (just kidding)

I haven't really gotten attached to any of my cars. I havent owned a car for more than 8 years before ik got a new one. I HAVE been in accidents though none that bad though (thankfully) but i do see how bad it can be to know someone who was in a terrible accident..

:blink:  You have to be totally nuts and out of your mind to get attached to a car.  It is just a piece of metal.  If it's been hit, or getting expensive.  Dump it and get a new one!... At least that is what my friend have told me over and over and over... Again...

I have an 84 Saab.  It has been hit more then I want to think about.  It has been declared a total 3 times by insurance companies.  I bought the salvage rights from them and rebuilt the car.  I still have it.  300,000 + miles and looks almost new, inside and out (My friends remind me, I have replaced a lot of the car and more then once).  I should say goodbye to it, but can't really bare the thought.  I just really like the car.... OK, it is more then "Like".

Oh, what is it with uninsured drivers hitting nice cars!  All three times I got nailed by some jerk with no license and no insurance.  Two times I was stopped at a traffic light (you know, a red light), and got re-ended by one of those brain dead folk.

In fact got smacked in the Lexus.  Only one time, so fair.  But it was a guy with no license, no insurance, and he rear ended me as I sat in traffic!

I have had my 91 LS 400 for about a year and a half.  I keep it extremely well maintained mechanically.  It needs some body work and paint.  It spent most of it's life in Los Angeles, and the body and paint show what the folks in Los Angeles can do to a car in a parking lot with there doors, and carts!

I have been resisting the voice in my head to comply restore the car.  Because if I do, I will never part with it.......

Hay I even get upset when the 4x4 gets a scratch on it from 4 wheeling, and that is about the only thing I use the truck for!, That and pulling the boat.  It's the only reason I bought the truck.  But I fixed it up, and now I'm "Involved with it".

I'm afraid I'm losing that battle on the Lexus.  More likely then not, I'll totally clean it up, because that is what I do with the cars I own.  Or should I spend the bucks on a psychiatrist ?????

:P

you arent nuts man, im that way too. my cars have to be perfect, as they are an extension of me. how i keep my automobile reflects on how i keep myself and my life.

do clean it up. it will run forever. im doing that with mine now...i have so far spend $300 more than the cars total value. and i wouldnt have it any other way.

I should only keep my house as clean as I keep my car. I also look at it this way. A "New Car" that I would be "happy" driving, with the power and comfort I want would cost me at least $400.00 a month in payments. And it would be loosing a lot of value every year.

My 91 LS cost me $6,000.00 a little on the high side but a fair price as it was my dad's car. I have had it one year, and 20 to 30 thousand miles. Other then gas and servicing I have not spent a dime on it till now.

I got nailed 100.00 buck to replace a front brake line. Now a tune up doing it myself so lets say $200.00 for plugs and wires, and that is good for 60,000 miles. And I need to fix the Idle valve. I may have to replace it at $600.00

Spending $1,000.00 on repair work a year on any "used" car is not out of line to keep it in top shape.

And the car is now worth $4,500.00, so I'm out $2,500.00 for having and using the car for a year and a half. How much would I be out on a new car with the car payments, loss of value, and extra insurance cost??? A lot more?

I bought my 84 Saab 900 turbo used with 90,000 miles on it. I paid $6,000.00. It now has 300,000 + miles on it. 3 years ago I had it appraised as cars of it's age and condition were very hard to find, and if totaled again, it would make dealing with the insurance company not so hard. It appraised out for almost $7,000.00. And in fact It got hit about six months later. The insurance company totaled it, and with me keeping the car, they paid me $6,000.00. And during the time I was waiting to settle with them I paid $3000.00 to have the car completely restored.

I'm getting ready to have it appraised again. It should be up to about $9,000.00

So if you keep that car in good shape and running. You get the un of having it, and your investment starts to pay off.....

If I clean up the Lexus I will have it appraised every two to three years. Should it get hit, the appraisal cost of $100.00 to $200.00 is cheep, because then the insurance company has to shut up and pretty much is stuck with the appraised value.

B)

I should only keep my house as clean as I keep my car.  I also look at it this way.  A "New Car" that I would be "happy" driving, with the power and comfort I want would cost me at least $400.00 a month in payments.  And it would be loosing a lot of value every year.

My 91 LS cost me $6,000.00 a little on the high side but a fair price as it was my dad's car.  I have had it one year, and 20 to 30 thousand miles.  Other then gas and servicing I have not spent a dime on it till now.

I got nailed 100.00 buck to replace a front brake line.  Now a tune up doing it myself so lets say $200.00 for plugs and wires, and that is good for 60,000 miles.  And I need to fix the Idle valve.  I may have to replace it at $600.00

Spending $1,000.00 on repair work a year on any "used" car is not out of line to keep it in top shape. 

And the car is now worth $4,500.00, so I'm out $2,500.00 for having and using the car for a year and a half.  How much would I be out on a new car with the car payments, loss of value, and extra insurance cost???  A lot more?

I bought my 84 Saab 900 turbo used with 90,000 miles on it.  I paid $6,000.00.  It now has 300,000 + miles on it.  3 years ago I had it appraised as cars of it's age and condition were very hard to find, and if totaled again, it would make dealing with the insurance company not so hard.  It appraised out for almost $7,000.00.  And in fact It got hit about six months later.  The insurance company totaled it, and with me keeping the car, they paid me $6,000.00.  And during the time I was waiting to settle with them I paid $3000.00 to have the car completely restored.

I'm getting ready to have it appraised again.  It should be up to about $9,000.00

So if you keep that car in good shape and running.  You get the un of having it, and your investment starts to pay off.....

If I clean up the Lexus I will have it appraised every two to three years.  Should it get hit, the appraisal cost of $100.00 to $200.00 is cheep, because then the insurance company has to shut up and pretty much is stuck with the appraised value.

B)

agreed. i had a ford contour that wasnt exactly an easy to find car. it was a first run serires. job #14. a company car given to my dad with 2 miles on it by a friend who worked for ford. that car went 384,991 miles, in which time i replaced a clutch and a fuel pump...that was it. it was mine for 250K of those almost 400,000 miles. i was going to have it appraised, when i got it in 2000, it was only worth about $2300. when i totalledit, it was almost worth $4,000. that car was 14/500 cars made for that purpose. i explained it once, lt me see if i can find it...

There were only 500 contour GL's made in 1994 "sold" as 95's. This was an early realease for company cars. They were given to select employees on the roster, most were given to the R&D Team that developed the CDW-27 Platform.  Of those 500 only 150 had the four cylinder (mine did). and of those 150, only 50 had a four cylinder with an MTX (manual transaxle, mine did) and of those 50, only 22 had Mocha Ghost Metallic Paint. (its a gold that changes to a goldish silver in the sun) and of those 22 with mocha ghost, only 14 of them are still on the road today. and of those 22, only 4 are in the state of Texas. My contour was built in 6/1994 in kansas city missouri.

there it is. :D

a cars value really will go up if gieven enough time. now imagine what your saabs value would be if it only had 80K or so on it.

• 2 weeks later...

That is impressive mileage for a Ford. I had a 1998 Ford Taurus LX a couple of years ago that had 252K you may recall. The tranny was getting weak though.

To update on my old Lexus, I finally got to see it the other day since it has been repaired. I happened to see her in the place where I work and I was going out walked by the car in the parking lot. It looks even better at that area now than it did when I had it/before accident. Most of the damage was confined to the right rear of the car, which had a small ripple anyway if I recall, on that quarter panel as well as chipping away pinstripes.

Ironically, I saw it going down the road today after I had just purchased the Acura- kind of ironic. I was stopped at the intersection and it was going through. Thinking back, it was like it was saying- "why did you sell me to buy an Acura"? :lol:

She really loves the car, so I am glad that it got a caring owner and someone that did not junk it out when it was damaged. May sound crazy, but I really liked that car. <_< :)

agreed. i had a ford contour that wasnt exactly an easy to find car. it was a first run serires. job #14. a company car given to my dad with 2 miles on it by a friend who worked for ford. that car went 384,991 miles, in which time i replaced a clutch and a fuel pump...that was it. it was mine for 250K of those almost 400,000 miles. i was going to have it appraised, when i got it in 2000, it was only worth about $2300. when i totalledit, it was almost worth $4,000. that car was 14/500 cars made for that purpose. i explained it once, lt me see if i can find it...