Cost Of Service

joepoley

Does anyone think the cosst of Lexus ROutine service at the dealer is too high?   $90 for an oil change and $400 every 15,000 miles seems excessive.  Anyone have any better options?

I have suffered through 5 years of Lexus-ized service costs on my 99 RX300 (i.e. overpriced) and am putting new thinking to ongoing maintenance. (Oil service every 5k at $175 and 15k service in the $500 range (DC area). I always felt that if I ran into a problem later, I'd have some recourse since I was loyal to Lexus for service - that is not panning out as expected. I was also concerned about the engine oil gel issue - but now feel that changing oil every 3-5k will avoid this. I recently purchased a Toyota Sienna and in talking with the dealer learned they would be more than happy to service the RX300 - at Toyota prices. Since the parts are all Toyota and I'm well out of warranty at 96k miles, I'm giving this route a try. I have heard from other Lexus owners that you can work your way into some Toyota service dealers with a friendly conversation. My first visit at the Toyota service shop will be for front brakes - Lexus quote is $325 with possibility of big fees if shims are worn, etc., etc., etc (door open for more dollars) - versus $199 at Toyota, complete.

After 5 years of religiously adhering to Lexus service plan and forking over the dollars, I don't feel I got my money's worth - i.e. not the value I expected. You might want to investigate Toyota service outlet - other alternative is independent shop.

Note: I do not run with the 'there is status in overpaying' crowd.

Like anything else, the only person who can say its overpriced is you. I happily pay it out of ease really, I need the free loaner car and I'm assured that the work will be done right, and if anything is done wrong it will be taken care of professionally. Think of Lexus service like Nordstrom, you can buy the same suits at discount places like Syms but you're not going to get the personalized service or attention to detail you get at Nordstroms. For some people thats worth the cost, for some people its not. There's certainly nothing wrong with having your Lexus done at Toyota or an independent shop from the first oil change as long as you keep the reciepts.

Joining the LOC gold program gets you service discounts at certain dealers also...

No one will maintain your vehicle as carefully and comprehensively as you will yourself. Routine maintenance such as oil and filter changes, tire rotations, transmission fluid changes, etc., are so very easy to do once you have about $50 worth of tools in your possession. A good socket wrench set, a good hex wrench set, a good oil filter wrench, a few screwdrivers, and you're ready to get your fingernails dirty. It's not rocket science, it's not mystical magic, it doesn't require a mechanical engineering degree - it just takes a can-do attitude and a willingness to learn. Hook yourself up with a buddy who likes to work on cars and learn from him. Check out your local community college or technical school for their "Car Care 101" course over four or five nights once a week. You'll quickly understand why routine vehicle maintenance is such a profitable business - much of the work requires minimal effort and inexpensive parts and supplies, and dealers can and will charge you ten times more money than you can do it yourself for in just an hour or two. And their employees will be nowhere near as careful about doing it right as you will on your own vehicle.

So make a New Year's resolution to learn to take care of your vehicle yourself during 2005. And that includes keeping good records of what you did, when you did it, and where you obtained the parts. You'll be surprised how quickly you learn and the level of satisfaction you feel.

Still need some incentive? My daughter is bringing her Grand Cherokee over this Sunday so we can perform the 60,000 mile service on it. While I change the oil and filters and rotate the tires, SHE will be changing the serpentine belt (under my supervision)! Any of you guys feeling a bit inadequate out there right now??!!

Routine maintenance such as oil and filter changes, tire rotations, transmission fluid changes, etc.

Yeah, but my tire store does rotations for the life of the tires that I purchased - and (more importantly) they rotate and BALANCE the tires each time! Rotating is a pretty easy DIY task, but I'm not going to be able to balance them in my driveway.

Like anything else, the only person who can say its overpriced is you. I happily pay it out of ease really, I need the free loaner car and I'm assured that the work will be done right, and if anything is done wrong it will be taken care of professionally. Think of Lexus service like Nordstrom, you can buy the same suits at discount places like Syms but you're not going to get the personalized service or attention to detail you get at Nordstroms. For some people thats worth the cost, for some people its not. There's certainly nothing wrong with having your Lexus done at Toyota or an independent shop from the first oil change as long as you keep the reciepts.

Joining the LOC gold program gets you service discounts at certain dealers also...

dont bet on the work being done right. I have nothing but war stories from the Roseville Lexus dealership. Even to the point of unsafe maintenance after they were done. I have to have them put the car on the rack so I can inspect afterwards to see if everything, ie bolts to transmission, stabilizer bar, vacuum lines are hook up safely. I have had the timing belt and water pump done by Toyota and they did a great job at $490 versus $1200 at Lexus. Good luck.

Discussing with the dealer, and considering that mine is a lease, they "require" an oil change every 5,000 miles. I havent seen the "recommended" services from the manual yet, but they said that those are not required unless in the manual says that a change is "required".

An oil change in JM Lexus goes for around $30, and I thought it was overpriced. I service my Acura at an acura dealer for $20 an oil change with coupon, yet their other services are way overproced (tire balance and rotation for $50 :huh:) and I do those at a local tire shop.

If something brakes, warranty plays its roll IMO.

I sincerely agree that no-one (not even the Lexus dealer) will do as careful a job as I will (you all too I'd assume) and also that most basic service can be done yourself in the driveway. There are a lot of other issues to consider though, a $100 oil change might sound good vs crawling under the rig at 30 degreesF or worse yet how about 36F and raining.

Anyhow I prefer to do-it-myself, if anyone's interested I use premium synthetic oil (mobil-1, a sure way to prevent engine sludging) and an oil-change usually runs me about $35 in materials. I can easily do it in 30 minutes, clean to clean. Our local university has an oil drop at their Environmental Health and safety unit. I've had my RX serviced at a Lexus dealer and they did a great job but they're 30 miles away from me so its not very convenient. I do have Toyota dealer a lot close and I'm going to take a previous suggestion and have my timing belt changed there (if they'll do it) when I hit 90k.

Oh, as a note, I keep all the store receipts when I buy the oil and/or other parts and I have a small log-book where I document the woek I'm doing. While this may not be the same quality evidence as service receipts it does somewhat document the work you do yourself sould there be a problem.

PS Women are probably better suited for car-work than men anyhow, smaller hands, more anylitical approach and a more even temperment. :D

I sincerely agree that no-one (not even the Lexus dealer) will do as careful a job as I will (you all too I'd assume) and also that most basic service can be done yourself in the driveway. There are a lot of other issues to consider though, a $100 oil change might sound good vs crawling under the rig at 30 degreesF or worse yet how about 36F and raining.

Anyhow I prefer to do-it-myself, if anyone's interested  I use premium synthetic oil (mobil-1, a sure way to prevent engine sludging) and an oil-change usually runs me about $35 in materials. I can easily do it in 30 minutes, clean to clean. Our local university has an oil drop at their Environmental Health and safety unit. I've had my RX serviced at a Lexus dealer and they did a great job but they're 30 miles away from me so its not very convenient. I do have Toyota dealer a lot close and I'm going to take a previous suggestion and have my timing belt changed there (if they'll do it) when I hit 90k.

Oh, as a note, I keep all the store receipts when I buy the oil and/or other parts and I have a small log-book where I document the woek I'm doing. While this may not be the same quality evidence as service receipts it does somewhat document the work you do yourself sould there be a problem.

PS Women are probably better suited for car-work than men anyhow, smaller hands, more anylitical approach and a more even temperment.  :D

by the way when I gave Lexus of America my receipts and log book they said that is fine but they didn't feel my level of work met their shops standards and would have taken in consideration my complaint if they had done all the work.

After my Lexus was damaged the past two times it was serviced at the Lexus dealer I'm starting to agree with RX in NC. The first time they washed it and put scratches in the finish they paid me $140 to correct, this time they backed it into a pole and did $700 worth of damage...and didn't tell me. I had to notice it when I got home. The service manager tried to strong arm me into letting him do the work because it could be done much cheaper. They can't wash it or park it, why would I let them paint it? I've never had a car damaged at a car dealership before, and niether have most people I know. You would think for $100 an hour I could be assured that my Lexus would at least be DRIVEN carefully. I didn't bang their loaner car into a pole.

But anyways, Ihave no complaints about the work they do, they're always clean, I've never seen any damage or overfilled oil etc. Sure, Lexus dealers are all individual and I'm sure the quality of the work varies like anything else. The ones around here are pretty good about the mechanicals at least, I'll be changing dealerships after this past damage incident though.

zamo- Thats not entirely true. Who is your lease through? My father has leased cars since 1987 and he has never been asked for service records when a car was turned in.

Rx-Fan Thats a common sales tactic used by tire shops. Wheels don't have to be re balanced once they are balanced unless they throw a weight or a tire is changed on a specific wheel unless you feel some sort of vibration. In fact, Lexus doesn't reccomend that the wheels be routinely balanced because of how difficult it is to acheive balance on a Lexus (the place that installed my tires had to try three times, my dad has never had a tire place balance either of his LS's right on the first try) once its achieved they reccomend that the balance be left alone. Lexus dealers don't balance, they only rotate.

Rx-Fan Thats a common sales tactic used by tire shops. Wheels don't have to be re balanced once they are balanced unless they throw a weight or a tire is changed on a specific wheel unless you feel some sort of vibration. In fact, Lexus doesn't reccomend that the wheels be routinely balanced because of how difficult it is to acheive balance on a Lexus (the place that installed my tires had to try three times, my dad has never had a tire place balance either of his LS's right on the first try) once its achieved they reccomend that the balance be left alone. Lexus dealers don't balance, they only rotate.

Well wheather it's a sales tactic or not - I've watched them thru the shop window, unmount the tires, put them on the balance machine, knock off any weights, spin 'em, re-mount new weights in the correct spot, put them back on the car, inflate them to the correct pressure and send me on my way. The mgr told me that tires do change their balance as tread wear removes rubber. I believe him, cause that does make sense.

Besides, I bought the extended warrantee for the tires that gives me protection from ANYTHING happening. If I "step" on a huge nail they will replace it, if I drive over a 2X4 in the road sheading the tire(s), they replace it. The rotate / balancing is "free" as part of this. I really think if they wre gonna skimp any place, they skimp on the balancing, but they don't.

I recently purchased a RX300 which was used and I am now ready for a 60K service. I made an appointment with the dealer who quoted a price of $645. I called a local chain which sells tires and does car repqirs and they quoted $299. I am trying to find a list of what they do at Lexus for $645 to make sure I get the same services at the tire store. I understand that Lexus is charging premium prices for their luxury showroom and free loaner, but since I don't need a loaner, I can't see paying this much for basic fluid changes.

Oh they always do the balance, but its not neccisary. If a wheel needs balancing you will definately notice it, especially on a Lexus. Balancing costs them very little and the cost of that warranty is a big profit for them. Rotating costs them nothing and it takes the tech 10 minutes if that. The road hazard is the same way, when was the last time you had a flat tire? Its just not all that common anymore. Sure they'll replace the tire, but that replacement becomes pro rated as the tire ages and they only pay for one. Once the tires get worn you need to at least replace both tires on an axle for safety, still gotta come out of pocket for one tire, and most likely some % of the other tire. So for the extra $100 or whatever the warranty costs you get balancing which isn't neccisary, rotating which you can do in your own driveway with a set of jackstands, and a road hazard warranty that might save you 20% of the total cost of having a tire that needed to be replaced (which wont be $100), or a free $15 plug. They're definately getting the good end of that deal. Plus I have yet to find ANY mechanic that inflates the tires to the proper pressure, usually they're all at 50PSI or they'll all be different pressures, I always request that the tire pressure be left alone.

Its good for peace of mind, but like extended warranties its really not worth the cost in most instances. If it were worth the cost then they wouldn't make a profit on the plans and they wouldn't sell em.

by the way when I gave Lexus of America my receipts and log book they said that is fine but they didn't feel my level of work met their shops standards and would have taken in consideration my complaint if they had done all the work.

I'm not a lawyer but I dont believe this is legal , at least here in Ca. I'm lucky to have friends and relatives in the leagal biz, and like a good American I don't hesitate to bust out the lawyer when trouble appears. You'd be surprised how well protected consumers are here in the Golden State, I'm fairly certain that you cant be forced to use the dealer to keep warrantys in tact. Furthermore for routine maintenance its not a stretch to prove an individual is competent to perform those simpe tasks.

dont bet on the work being done right. I have nothing but war stories from the Roseville Lexus dealership. Even to the point of unsafe maintenance after they were done. I have to have them put the car on the rack so I can inspect afterwards to see if everything, ie bolts to transmission, stabilizer bar, vacuum lines are hook up safely. I have had the timing belt and water pump done by Toyota and they did a great job at $490 versus $1200 at Lexus. Good luck.

I agree, i just recently paid over $300 for a 15k mileage service at my local dealership "LONGO Lexus". Two weeks later, during a routine car wash i found the RED 'Transmission Oil level dipstick' sitting below the front windsheild and right next to the passenger side wiper.

What the " :censored: " !

In the future, when i pick up the vehicle back from any service, i'll at least pop the hood and check underneath. You just can't trust anyone these days.

a.c.

Actually no, I've done the math out and when you figure in the cost of the loaner the service comes out to not be that expensive really. For instance I pay $160 for an oil change/tire rotation. At a normal shop that would cost $60-$80. A loaner car of the class of the Lexus loaner would cost about the same per day, so its really not all that expensive. Now, if you wanted to take it to the Exxon and drive a Kia for a day then yeah its more expensive, but I don't want to drive a Kia...

Actually no, I've done the math out and when you figure in the cost of the loaner the service comes out to not be that expensive really. For instance I pay $160 for an oil change/tire rotation. At a normal shop that would cost $60-$80. A loaner car of the class of the Lexus loaner would cost about the same per day, so its really not all that expensive. Now, if you wanted to take it to the Exxon and drive a Kia for a day then yeah its more expensive, but I don't want to drive a Kia...

Costco rotate members' tires for free.

I agree with RX in NC that if you are willing to DIY, you will get better quality service and parts.

BTW, Autozone has a promotion now for free Bosch premium oil filter (FILTECH) after rebate. Pep Boys has a "buy 3 get 3 coupon" for Mobil One synthetic if you buy one calendar ($1) at the checkout. I will have a $10 oil change, need to spend 30 minutes but driving to the dealer and waiting also take time :P

The 'FREE' loaner car is nice, not to mention the flat-bed service is awesome. :cheers:

You don't even have to go to the dealership wait in line to see your service advisor (average 15-30 minutes wait), and if you are lucky enough to get one scheduled over the weekend to do a get away weekend with free mileage and gas; what else could you ask for more !

I really don't mind paying higher service charges, because in retrun you are getting more than you've paid. Convenience, peace of mind and service warranty but please do make sure you put back the oil level dip stick back where you pull out from; dear master mechanics please.............

a.c.

I agree with RX in NC that if you are willing to DIY, you will get better quality service and parts.

BTW, Autozone has a promotion now for free Bosch premium oil filter (FILTECH) after rebate.  Pep Boys has a "buy 3 get 3 coupon" for Mobil One synthetic if you buy one calendar ($1) at the checkout.  I will have a $10 oil change, need to spend 30 minutes but driving to the dealer and waiting also take time :P

True, but I'm not really comfortable with the idea of having Costco service my car, and I don't have the time to drive to multiple locations or to wait and have service done...

I don't agree with your logic on the loaner car cost. I only pay about $35 for an oil change with with Quaker State semi-synthetic and Quaker state filter. All fluid levels are checked and replenished if needed. Many other checks are done such as brake pads, etc. Tire rotation is free. All this only takes 30 minutes so a loaner is not necessary. Your dealer keeps the car all day and only spends 30 minutes on it anyway

BTW, Autozone has a promotion now for free Bosch premium oil filter (FILTECH) after rebate.  Pep Boys has a "buy 3 get 3 coupon" for Mobil One synthetic if you buy one calendar ($1) at the checkout.  I will have a $10 oil change, need to spend 30 minutes but driving to the dealer and waiting also take time :P

True, but I'm not really comfortable with the idea of having Costco service my car, and I don't have the time to drive to multiple locations or to wait and have service done...

If you are a Costco shopper, it is not down time as they can rotate your tires while you shop. Costco is for value (not necessary cheap) shoppers. For example Costco uses nitrogen gas instead of regular air to inflate tires now, a practice used by many race car teams for years. But you want something in addition to have an oil change and tire rotation, non-dealer shops are not the place.